Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jonwise80
  1.    #1  
    What about the long time yahoo users? Can anyone make this happen? Thanks!
    Apparently the venn diagram of Yahoo mail users and webOS users does not have significant overlap. I probably wouldn't have found any cycles for this, except for the fact that Yahoo won't be alone much longer in cutting off support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 -- Microsoft has been warning they would do this for more than a year. They delayed their plans to give organizations more time during the pandemic, but it will likely drop the hammer by April. So we're going to need a solution...

The problem is not unlike the encryption change in HTTPS that started leaving us without certain websites. Although HTTPS was supported in webOS, the specify encryption algorithm within the HTTPS channel has been improved and webOS doesn't support the newer algorithm. The exact same situation is true for encrypted email. Like with HTTPS, we need a way to route or proxy the encryption webOS supports through some channel that can speak the encryption that the newer server supports. Unfortunately, the webOS proxy capabilities do not seem to support routing email traffic, so the solutions we have for web do not apply.

There are three approaches I've found, that might be workable, but at varying levels of abstraction...

- At the highest level, mail forwarding can do the trick. Find a host that does not use newer encryption, and setup Yahoo (or Exchange, or Office365) to forward mail to that host. A copy of your inbound mail is forwarded to that server. Outbound mail will not come from your preferred host -- but you can set the "Reply To" field to specific your Yahoo account. If your ISP still provides email (both Spectrum and Comcast do) it likely has crappy security, and can be pressed into service for this. This is pretty low-tech -- no programming required and its easy to do. Unfortunately, Yahoo made this a paid feature effective January 2021.

- Moving to lower-level is going to require an intermediate server and some configuration. The next step down appears to be an e-mail relay, that can run on Windows/Mac/Linux. I haven't tried this yet, but it functions similar to forwarding, except that it doesn't depend on Yahoo to forward -- the relay should be able to log-in to your Yahoo account, grab your mail, then present it to you as if it were the POP3 host that originally got the mail. It can do the same in reverse with SMTP. Check out E-mailRelay here: E-MailRelay

- The lowest level is something more like a real mail proxy or tunnel. This might be able to re-shape traffic enroute, interceding on behalf of webOS in a transparent fashion -- like Squid does for web traffic, but without the cooperation of webOS. This would be most challenging to implement, but would be the most seamless solution. A couple options I found for further investigation are ghostunnel and NGINX.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any of these solutions could be deployed in a multi-user-multi-mail-provider fashion -- meaning I couldn't offer them "as a service" like the Squid proxy, or even the MeTube service (which is effectively a service-specific proxy.) So everyone would need to run this for themselves. A Raspberry Pi makes a great "helper" device for retro gear, and could probably run most of these solutions at a very low cost (a Pi can be had for less than $50.)

The other unfortunate probability is that services will eventually move away from offering POP/IMAP mail access in favor of more secure protocols and OAuth2-style authentication. OAuth is tricky to implement even using modern tech, requiring a lot of back-and-forth with different servers. While I can probably figure out how to get one of the above solutions working, and documented for others to implement, once we're in an OAuth-only world, it will be beyond my capabilities -- there's a reason I pay people to do development in the real-world: my time and skillz are limited!
    Last edited by jonwise80; 02/21/2021 at 09:31 PM.
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos
    Preemptive likes this.
    While I think it might be technically possible to update legacy webOS to a state of 'modern' capability, it may not actually be achievable. The reason for this is that the system is tied to the original equipment. That equipment needs driver code and some of that code is proprietary. One of the things that delayed the development of OpenwebOS/LuneOS were the graphic drivers. The result of the difficulties was that part of the system had to be rewritten to use Android (or other open) drivers, precluding the use of LuneOS on the original webOS hardware (the exception was the TouchPad - designed as an Android tablet before HP acquired Palm. The original drivers were 'leaked' when a couple of prototypes appeared on the open market).

So I guess technically, reverse engineering is possible, but there are nothing like the number of developers (and therefore time) available to update and deploy an updated legacy webOS to the original hardware. Moreover, mobile hardware has developed to be far more capable in the last decade. For those inclined to work on this stuff, it makes sense to either limits efforts to achievable work-arounds on legacy or to simply focus on developing LuneOS and to target current, open hardware.

For services such as email, we manually installed newer certificates (then solved), but then the transport protocol became a problem. The Squid proxy may be solution, but I guess it limits us to the web interface. Work on a system-wide fix that might cover mail clients is discussed here: Is the end of support for TLS 1.0 & 1.1 a problem?, but there have been no further reports since early last year.

The webOS mail client can be manually set up with profiles in addition to the 'presets' for popular services (like yahoo) of the day. But as noted above, if new authorisation and transport techniques become the norm, then the client itself will need to be rewritten and it remains possible that mail providers will require use of their own clients/apps. Given clients like outlook and Thunderbird this seems a bit unlikely and creates the danger of fragmenting email as an open, inter-operative protocol. But in practical terms there won't be a webOS client unless developed by an independent / the community.

So I think for the moment, it's squid bump + newer browser (qupzilla / Qt) + web interface)

Happy to take corrections for any of the above - I often get tripped up by the different complex parts of these things.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/21/2021 at 02:05 PM.