Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Nafetz
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I had several problems now and then patching some app files in the past that I didn't understand. Now that it happened again I'm trying to understand why this happens and hope someone can help me.
    I'm trying to patch the file app-assistant_js of MetaViews MWatch. It is possible to patch other files of this app but I didn't manage to patch the app-assistant-file. Even if my patch is only inserting a comment line.
    The message I get when installing with WebOSQickInstall is:
    device or resource busy
    May it be that the file is already in usage when MWatch is only installed and not started manually?
    Is there a possibility to stop the usage of this file?

Best regards
  2.    #2  
    No idea so far...
    I don't believe the app-assistant-file is busy. I can rename it with Internalz Pro with Master Mode disabled.

webos-ausmt.log is telling:

------------------------------------------------------
    AUSMT INSTALL Thu Oct 11 20:16:35 CEST 2018
    ------------------------------------------------------

ca.canuckcoding.patches.mwatchtest
    contains text patch

----------------------------------
    Checking patch files

Finding md5sum for original file
    file: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.metaviewsoft.mwatch/app/assistants/app-assistant_js
    File not found via packages file, checking cryptofs lists
    Found md5sum from the cryptofs lists
    md5sum: 7445e9ed809a85b5b53dd0672ddd1293

Dry running patch

patching file media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.metaviewsoft.mwatch/app/assistants/app-assistant_js
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.metaviewsoft.mwatch/app/assistants/app-assistant_js.rej

Dry run failed, trying with -R

patching file media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.metaviewsoft.mwatch/app/assistants/app-assistant_js
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.metaviewsoft.mwatch/app/assistants/app-assistant_js.rej

*** FAILED ***
    and the test patch is only containing:
    Code:
    Name: MWatcjTest
    Version: 2.2.4-1
    Author: Schdefoon
    Description: Nur ein Test

--- .orig/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.metaviewsoft.mwatch/app/assistants/app-assistant_js
    +++ /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.metaviewsoft.mwatch/app/assistants/app-assistant_js
    @@ -1,6 +1,6 @@
     var gblLaunchParams;
     var gblRelaunched;
    -
    +/* Test */
     var watchType = "Pebble";

var gblTimeOutHdl = 0;
    MWatchTest.patch

(all dots before the file extension _js are replaced by an underscore because of the bug in this forum)
    I've had to reboot to fix this error on occasion. I don't know if there is a single cause or not, but I do not know why it happens. The biggest problem I've faced is patching files that have Windows line-endings. I had to manually fix the file before the patch would apply.
    Nafetz and MudShark22 like this.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you very much for helping.
    If you're right then it would indeed be impossible to patch some files without the user knowledge how to prepare the original file to make it patch-able?

To be sure that there is no problem with my patch file that was created on a Windows machine, I repeatet the whole process of creating it on a Linux machine. But finally I got the same error.

I will have a look at the original app-assistant-file in the next step.
  5.    #5  
    Looks like you are right
    When I use Notepad++ I can see "Unix (LF)" or "Windows (CR LF)" in the bottom line. The files of MWatch that I could patch so far are "Unix". The app-assistant is "Windows".
    So I replaced all \r with nothing and saved and closed the file. When I opened it again, it was "Unix".
    Then I sent the file into the app location on my emulator with WebOSQuickInstall. Without a restart I tried to patch the file - and it worked!

Thank you very much!

But what a pity you might not being able to provide a patch for people that are not used to sending and receiving files from their devices.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Glad to hear it helped! I didn't connect those two memories in my brain, but I thought it might be helpful.