Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Javascript frameworks can - as a general rule - be packaged with the application. So while that may affect start-up speed (read: pre-loaded frameworks will always initialize the app faster), they are rarely a limiting factor. EXCEPT...when a framework heavily relies on Javascript 6 features without have a polyfill for older browsers (or when the app relies on the 2011 definition of CSS flex boxes rather than the 2009 that legacy webOS uses).
    Thanks for that. I have wondered why the choice mattered when it is all javascript, but I assumed it was a more about a framework's suitability for a phone/tablet interface, possibly including the graphical assets. I mean, Enyo / Moonstone apps could probably be run on the TouchPad, but it would look like a mini-TV and be impossible to use. The other factor you raise is the ability of the OS to support newer features. I don't think Legacy needs more apps, though it's great to get more. The main issue is access to the (closed or updated) APIs of popular services and lack of on-going corporate support for webOS. This is where apps break. My main intent here is to encourage coding, perhaps for legacy, but mainly with a view to LuneOS.

As for the PDK. It's a (set of) library needed for native (compiled) applications. The PDK itself was not open-sourced, and as a result cannot be used in LuneOS/Open webOS. Maybe LG has a version of the PDK, and maybe they will (eventually) open-source it, and maybe, then, just maybe it could be ported to LuneOS. But as it stands, PDK applications can only run on (and be compiled for) legacy webOS. In regards to Mojo the problem is similar: it wasn't open-sourced. However, unlike the PDK, if you Mojo were bundled on LuneOS you should be able to run the application (without the optimizations Palm added to WebKit (e.g. for better scrolling)). That is, however, not legally possible.
    I'm probably using the wrong term. I mean native, complied apps. I recall talk of putting Open or Libre Office on LuneOS. I assume it would be as bad as the Moonstone app mentioned above. It would have to be compiled for LuneOS and need a suitable UI. It may not be practical now, but is theoretically possible. But I will make changes until someone says otherwise. PDK=Legacy only.

As for Mojo, there is already a guide to adding proprietary plugins to LuneOS for Netflix etc. I've read that Mojo could be extracted from a webOS doctor and added by the user to enable those apps, but possibly it will be more complex to make it work with the newer system?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/06/2018 at 09:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    The Next Meeting will take place at 1700 GMT / UTC on Sunday the 15th of April 2018. IRC: #webOS channel on Freenode.
    I won't have anything to report today as I was ill for a little over a week,
    which delayed me getting a script to Alan to unify app-names (as much as possible);
    which in turn delayed me releasing the Museum to the public.

Still plan to see you all later today though
    Preemptive likes this.
  3.    #103  
    **PLEASE NOTE: NOTHING HERE SHOULD BE TAKEN AS A PROMISE AND NO TIME LINES WILL BE MADE PUBLIC. ANY PROGRESS WILL BE HELPED IF MORE PEOPLE OFFER ASSISTANCE.**

Summary of Meeting No. 10 of The webOS User Group, on April 15th 2018 at 1700 GMT / UTC. IRC: #webOS channel on Freenode.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1. Attendees & Introductions of new attendees.
      There were 8 attendees. The meeting was chaired by Preemptive.
    • 2. Any proposed updates to the aims or rules of the group.
      None.
    • 3. Possible selection of officers or area contacts.
      None.
    • 4. Progress reports.
      • 4.1. New browser (for TP only). (nizovn)
        An update to Qupzilla has been packaged. It is now split into separate packages, support has been added for context menus on long tap and a close button to window frames. To test, add the testing feed to Preware: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nizovn/preware_feed/master/ipkgs
      • 4.2. Legacy browser patch. (Misj, Shuswap)
        No Progress this month.
      • 4.3. Updated meta-doctors. (Herrie, bbito)
        It was agreed to put out a request for help from anyone with experience with Makefiles to push this project along. Progress can be viewed at: https://github.com/bbito/meta-doctor/issues/1 . It is assumed that once a firm process is set up, modifications to add capabilities to the service pack will be reasonably straight forward to make.
      • 4.4. Updated location service. (Misj, mazzinia)
        No Report.
      • 4.5. Fix the webos internals patch feed or manage it manually. (novaldex, Herrie) > Progress Report
        No Report. (there was a post meeting update from Novaldex).
      • 4.6. webOS Nation App gallery submission and access. (Preemptive)
        There has been no progress. Those with accounts for the App Gallery are again requested to test access and the ability to make changes. Please post results on the thread to help and encourage the administrators of webOS Nation to repair the App Gallery. An attempt will be made to discover who originally coded the app gallery and possibly request their assistance.
      • 4.7. Preservation / Restoration of sources of documentation* (including original Palm documents, Open WebOS, git.webos-internals.org & 3rd party sources such as webOS101). (All members in the sub-sections)
        • 4.7.1. Documentation policy.
          It was noted that the release of webOS OSE by LG comes with a forum for developers and documentation of that project. It's likely that some of the material will have relevance to legacy webOS. There is even the possibility that some updates could be patched into legacy. http://forum.webosose.org/
        • 4.7.2. Find / improve documentation of mojo / enyo. (Misj)
          No Report.
        • 4.7.3. Default app options (e.g. Qupzilla, LuneTube) - possible patching / tutorial on this.
          Deprecated.
        • 4.7.4. On device Help System.
          No Report.
      • 4.8. Lobbying TCL for an open Palm device. (Preemptive)
        There is still no progress here, but a list of possibly interested projects was discussed: Halium, Plasma, UB Ports, PostmarketOS. Sailfish, Tizen and KaiOS (a development of FirefoxOS) appear to have corporate backing from at least one device manufacturer, so may be less interested. The possibility of lobbying LG in a similar manner was raised, but not discussed.
      • 4.9. Indexing the FTP app source. (JVLebbink1)
        No Report.
      • 4.10. webOS Qt5 SDK.
        The intent is to upgrade Qt5 to 5.9.5 and to hardcode webos specific paths etc., so that it would make development of the SDK simpler. Help is welcomed and other developers can use the Qt5 package from the feed.
      • 4.11. webOS time service issue (Network Time not keeping clocks accurate - webOS Nation Forums).
        This is considered fixed. There was further discussion of how it could be added to the service-pack meta-doctor. The issue is that it is best to localise the change according to the user's location. This would likely require user-input. However, as the change is simply the time-server's IP address, this can be created as a binary patch, run before repackaging.
    • 5. Discussion of other items.
      • 5.1. Device back up options.
        No Report.
      • 5.2. webOS Vulnerabilities and Fixes.
        No updates. Please report issues (and fixes!) to the thread.
      • 5.3. App stores discussion.
        Previous suggestions were mentioned. A new suggestion was Hubzilla. The possibility of LG offering an appstore for webOS OSE was doubted. If such a thing happened, there's no guarantee that it would have use to Legacy webOS or LuneOS.
      • 5.4. Prioritisation of group projects.
        Aside from streamlining meeting agendas, the nature of the group means there is little chance of managing or prioritizing projects easily. It is generally accepted that little can be done here. This item will be deprecated.
      • 5.5. LG's webOS Open Source Edition
        webOS Ports are in the process of integrating LG's new code into LuneOS, where applicable. Herrie gave some background on the usefulness of the LG release to LuneOS. The code represents 4 years of internal LG updates to the core operating system. The integration process is difficult as there is no history between this release and the original Open webOS release. Of the 85 components, they use 30 already so those are "good to be upgraded". The other 55 need need to be evaluated. It is hoped these items will also offer security improvements.
        The group hoped the code would be of value to LuneOS and that LG would prove to be helpful in offering technical assistance.
    • 6. Any other business.
      It was noted that there is now a Mastodon chat at https://webos.direct and an unofficial webOS OSE developer discord at: https://discord.gg/HrqXb. Though both are new and relatively quiet so far, all are welcome. There is also an official forum at http://forum.webosose.org
    • 7. Date of next meeting.
      The next meeting will be on Sunday the 27th of May at 1700GMT (check https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/ for your local time)

The full log of the tenth meeting is here: http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/livelogs/webos/webos.20180416.txt #webos log: SUN April 15.

A LIST OF USER GROUP PROJECTS
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/17/2018 at 05:12 AM.
    gazaud likes this.
  4.    #104  
    Javascript frameworks can - as a general rule - be packaged with the application. So while that may affect start-up speed (read: pre-loaded frameworks will always initialize the app faster), they are rarely a limiting factor. EXCEPT...when a framework heavily relies on Javascript 6 features without have a polyfill for older browsers (or when the app relies on the 2011 definition of CSS flex boxes rather than the 2009 that legacy webOS uses).
    I'm reminded to come back on this: The question is, if an app is suitable for the device, what prevents a framework such as Enyo 2 being bundled / loaded? I suppose you have some what answered the question if the new frameworks use features not implemented by the webOS Javascript engine. Does anyone KNOW that this is the situation? Or is it more of a 'case by case' thing depending on each app?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/15/2018 at 07:43 PM.
  5.    #105  
    From the last meeting, the webOS User group requests the assistance of anyone with experience of makefiles to help us create an initial version of a 'service pack' meta-doctor.
    WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor - 2017 - webOS Nation Forums

The plan is to automate a process for users to add & patch existing webOS Doctor (OS installation program) files with essential updates and fixes, so that a device is 'ready to go' after the first re-installation.
  6.    #106  
    Proposed agenda for Meeting No. 11 of The webOS User Group, on May 27th 2018 at 1700 GMT / UTC. IRC: #webOS channel on Freenode.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to post if you think of anything that can be added. Inactive projects may be temporarily removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I'm reminded to come back on this: The question is, if an app is suitable for the device, what prevents a framework such as Enyo 2 being bundled / loaded? I suppose you have some what answered the question if the new frameworks use features not implemented by the webOS Javascript engine. Does anyone KNOW that this is the situation? Or is it more of a 'case by case' thing depending on each app?
    Enyo up to 2.7 (last version prior to Enact) can be bundled and will run on webOS 2.2.4 and 3.0.5 (not personally sure about earlier versions), for instance this is what LuneTube and Dash Weather Plus do - sorry, that points to dkirker's old fork - it seems that choorp is off github and we've lost source code to choorp's latest version 1.6.1.1...
    That source used to live at: https://github.com/choorp/dash-weather-plus/

The latest incarnation of Enyo - Enact - uses newer Javascript features that are not supported by our legacy webOS browser server so it and many other newer frameworks will not run on legacy. I think that LuneOS's JavaScript engine could handle Enact and any other current framework.
    Last edited by bbito; 04/15/2018 at 08:35 PM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Dash Weather Plus do - sorry, that points to dkirker's old fork - it seems that choorp is off github and we've lost source code to choorp's latest version 1.6.1.1...
    That source used to live at: https://github.com/choorp/dash-weather-plus/
    Okay, it seems choorp is now garredow on github (and as always, Garrett)
    Here is the github: https://github.com/garredow/dash-weather
    currently at version 1.6.2 according to the webOS appinfo.json
    Preemptive and MudShark22 like this.
  9.    #109  
    There was a post meeting update from Novaldex on item 4.5 Fix the webos internals patch feed or manage it manually.
  10.    #110  
    **PLEASE NOTE: NOTHING HERE SHOULD BE TAKEN AS A PROMISE AND NO TIME LINES WILL BE MADE PUBLIC. ANY PROGRESS WILL BE HELPED IF MORE PEOPLE OFFER ASSISTANCE.**

Summary of Meeting No. 11 of The webOS User Group, on May 27th 2018 at 1700 GMT / UTC. IRC: #webOS channel on Freenode.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      There were 3 attendees. The meeting was chaired by Preemptive.
      None.
      None.
    • 4. Progress reports.
    • 6. Any other business.
      It was announced the the webOS museum project is now live. Modifications to the HOSTS file are needed to set it up. A guide may be produced for pivotCE. The possibility of 'hybridising' legacy webOS with updated components was raised. In a manner similar to adding the updated SSL and Qt5, It was suggested this could maintain legacy devices and create a stepping stone to LuneOS. However, it was acknowledged that some parts of legacy were never open-sourced and the effort required would make such a project unlikely.
      24th of June, 1700 GMT.

The full log of the eleventh meeting is here: http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/livelogs...og: SUN May 27.

Last edited by Preemptive; 06/24/2018 at 11:45 AM.
    uh, was today ? :S
    damn
    Blah. Was at my parents' place for the long weekend to celebrate my "Dirty 30" lol. Sorry I couldn't make it. I'm working on a few things (though not so much the last few weeks) that I'll share later.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive and MudShark22 like this.
  13.    #113  
    Proposed agenda for Meeting No. 12 of The webOS User Group, on June 24th 2018 at 1700 GMT / UTC. IRC: #webOS channel on Freenode.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to post if you think of anything that can be added. Inactive projects may be temporarily removed.

14.    #114  

Summary of Meeting No. 12 of The webOS User Group, on June 24th 2018 at 1700 GMT / UTC. IRC: #webOS channel on Freenode.
      There were three attendees.
      None.
      None.
    • 4. Progress reports.
      • 4.1. New browser (for TP only). (nizovn)
        Nizovn is focusing on the webOS QT5 SDK.
      • 4.2. Legacy browser patch. (Misj, Shuswap)
        No report. As this project is effectively complete, it only requires users to create filters for it. It was proposed to drop it from the agenda at least until there are further developments with filters.
      • 4.3. Updated meta-doctors. (Herrie, bbito)
        No progress. Help with Makefiles was again requested. A webOS doctor is effectively an installer that installs a manifest of packages. A meta-doctor alters the manifest to customise the installation. There was discussion about the ability to install IPKs and patches. IPKs often come with pre and post-install scripts that trigger a reboot for instance (e.g the OSSL fix). Modifying these scripts to avoid disrupting the install process is required. Another potential problem for general users is that meta-doctor creation is only currently possible using a Linux system. Previous custom doctors had been created for carriers and it was suggested to use the $CARRIER$.tar mechanism

It was pointed out that though some used a meta-doctor to restore an existing installation with previously installed apps, the manifest of the service pack will consist only of required fixes and that scripts could be 'hard-coded' rather than generated according to user-selected packages. It was agreed to attempt a minimal service pack (likely with one included fix) as a proof of concept that can be expanded upon.

After the meeting was officially over, it was suggested that novainstaller might be an easier system to administer for this purpose.
      • 4.4. Updated location service. (Misj, mazzinia)
        No report.
      • 4.5. Fix the webos internals patch feed or manage it manually. (novaldex, Herrie) > Progress Report
        No report.
      • 4.6. webOS Nation App gallery submission and access. (Preemptive)
        No report.
      • 4.7. Preservation / Restoration of sources of documentation* (including original Palm documents, Open WebOS, git.webos-internals.org & 3rd party sources such as webOS101). (All members in the sub-sections)
        • 4.7.1. Documentation policy.
          There is still no clear proposal for a documentation protocol or any recommended systems.
        • 4.7.2. Find / improve documentation of mojo / enyo. (Misj)
          No report.
        • 4.7.3. On device Help System.
          No report.
      • 4.8. Lobbying TCL for an open Palm device. (Preemptive)
        No progress.
      • 4.9. webOS App Museum / Indexing the FTP app source. (JVLebbink1)
      • 4.10. webOS Qt5 SDK.
        Work has begun on this. Nizovn found a way to add required mounts to jailer configurations. The project is not yet ready to be made public.
    • 6. Any other business.
      None.
      22nd July 2018, 1600 GMT.

The full log of the twelfth meeting is here: http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/livelogs/webos/webos.20180625.txt: SUN June 24.

Last edited by Preemptive; 06/25/2018 at 07:17 PM.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Sorry I missed it this time (I forgot, and something else came up). I will take a look at the log though.
  16.    #116  
    I'm seeing the complaints about a lack of reminders. My response is:
    A) We set the next date and time at the end of the meeting (22nd July 1600 GMT). So put it in your diary (NOTE: The earlier time).
    B) I will try to give a 24hr reminder in future - especially as I know I once missed a meeting myself!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/25/2018 at 07:21 PM.
    MudShark22 likes this.
  17.    #117  
    Proposed agenda for Meeting No. 13 of The webOS User Group, on July 22nd 2018 at 1600 GMT / UTC. IRC: #webOS channel on Freenode.

18.    #118  
    OK, it's 23 hours, but here is the reminder for tomorrow!
    Grabber5.0 and elvispre like this.
  19.    #119  

Summary of Meeting No. 13 of The webOS User Group, on July 22nd 2018 at 1600 GMT / UTC. IRC: #webOS channel on Freenode.
      There were seven attendees.
      None.
      None.
    • 4. Progress reports.
      • 5.1. Device back up options.
        No discussion.
      • 5.2. webOS Vulnerabilities and Fixes..
        No new reports.
      • 5.3. App stores discussion.
        The possibility of requesting to join the Rebble.io project or creating a new stand-alone app store was discussed. A member with experience of enterprise e-commerce suggested the commercial cost of the project could be $50K. The administrator of pivotCE arrived and discussed the capabilities of the web listing of the Preware feeds. The possibility of turning the pivotCE listing into a full app catalogue was discussed. This would require a lot of work and developer assistance. Costs could possibly be reduced with the use of off-the-shelf or open-source commerce software. It was noted that Preware includes a field in it's feed spec for price, but it was assumed that Preware can not be used to process transactions (we can check). The possibility of support from LG or the possibility of hosting apps for the OSE project were discussed. Support for a dependencies field was added to the pivotCE web listing during the meeting.

It was agreed to attempt to create a specification for an app catalogue and backend services on the discussion thread. This should help the community (or any other interested party) to make a decision about whether a catalogue would be viable at least as a non-profit project.
      • 5.4. LG's webOS Open Source Edition
        It was noted that LG have made a https://forums.webosnation.com/open-...ebos.htmlwebOS OSE robot, but there was no other discussion. (video: https://forums.webosnation.com/open-...os2-webos.html )
    • 6. Any other business.
      The next meeting will be on the 19th of August 2018 at 1600 GMT.

The full log of the thirteenth meeting is here: http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/livelogs/webos/webos.20180723.txt: SUN July 22nd.

Last edited by Preemptive; 07/24/2018 at 06:40 AM.
  20.    #120  
    Though it was really only a couple of discussions, it was a surprisingly useful meeting!

It was great to have Pattyland from pivotCE and Dieter Bohn, former editor of webOS Nation, show up and join in.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast