Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
Like Tree93Likes
    ok,

I would like to mention something, so that "we" have the time to think about it a bit.
    With the current turmoil caused by the Trump decision to ban huawei, huawei is currently actively looking at something that they were leisurely developing in house to substitute android.
    It's a very daring move but... what if we contact them to propose LuneOS as a possible alternative ? 99% they will say no, but there's still a very small % of hope, and that would be an huge installed base ( and a big influx of their developers to push the roadmap ).
    Stupid idea ? worth to take an approach ? Worth to have a meeting for just this ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    ok,

I would like to mention something, so that "we" have the time to think about it a bit.
    With the current turmoil caused by the Trump decision to ban huawei, huawei is currently actively looking at something that they were leisurely developing in house to substitute android.
    It's a very daring move but... what if we contact them to propose LuneOS as a possible alternative ? 99% they will say no, but there's still a very small % of hope, and that would be an huge installed base ( and a big influx of their developers to push the roadmap ).
    Stupid idea ? worth to take an approach ? Worth to have a meeting for just this ?
    Seeing that US is putting pressure on South Korea to join the ban (after Japan more or less banned Huawei with Softbank (owning ARM revoking Huawei's license) and Panasonic and Toshiba stopping cooperation/supply). I don't think that Huawei would want to put it's eggs in LG's basket seeing that a large part of LuneOS is based on Open webOS and webOS OSE fundamentals.

I would cheer for a couple of 100M devices running LuneOS or something similar of course

To add: Huawei's Open Source record is abysmal and their compliance with GPL is extremely poor as well.
    Last edited by Herrie; 05/23/2019 at 11:30 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    It seems I'm likely to be free on the 26th - if there are any developments to discuss.

If nothing is posted here that will make a meeting worthwhile, then I suggest 23rd June.
    June is probably good. I should be free this weekend -- it is a 3 day weekend. I won't be available next weekend, however.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  4.    #184  
    OK, well I'll switch on IRC and see if anyone shows up.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  5.    #185  
    Nothing much to report. We had a brief chat about Huawei:
    <Preemptive> From what I've read, Huawei's "Plan B" is most likely to be Android Open Source Project (ASOP). To some extent, this is already what they do in China and their business there is big. The problem with this or any other replacement OS is of course, the app ecosystem. This seems reasonable: https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/23/1...e-us-editorial
    Possibly the nature of webOS / LuneOs would help by making web apps fairly easy, but, then they'd need need to sell webOS to all the western consumers who are used to Google Android and all the services.

<bughi1980> well yes about they would need to sell webos to the customers, but that would be their own problem :P

<Preemptive> One option might be to builde the eco-system out of China, but they would be starting from scratch. As I understand it, they already largely do without Google services in China. There's a lot of argument about whether Huawei is actually a security risk or if this is posturing ahead of a trade deal. Either China / Huawei will be cut off and will have to come up with something else, or the whole issue will go away and be 'back to normal' in a few months

<bughi1980> well, the issue is since months and is money based. trump is pushing around to have american companies to sell network infrastructures instead of huawei. so yes, he can claim that huawei is a security liability. but at the same time it could be claimed that the american counterpart/s are the same

<Preemptive> Yes, although Huawei does seem to have tight links to the government, (arguably true of any Chinese company), ultimately, any government could control a company on their territory if they really wanted to.

<bughi1980> yup. so, there are various layers to this. one being this, another being making sure an american company gets the contracts to bring more work/money inside
    Herrie reported on upgrades to the webOS Ports servers:
    <Herrie> Hi. Sorry all day busy here. Did I miss something important? The logger seems to have some issues, so cannot check. Hopefully that will soon be history since some shiny new drives arrived and will be installed shortly THere will be a new 12 disk 8TB array available for LuneOS, webOS OSE and some other projects
    Currently, the next meeting day is likely to be the 23rd of June, but feel free to suggest other dates.
    xandros9 likes this.
  6.    #186  
    Proposed agenda for Meeting No. 24 of The webOS User Group, on June 23rd 2019 at 1700 GMT / UTC. IRC: #webOS channel on Freenode. Instructions to register user (nick) name.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910