Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hi, I do not know what's wrong with my battery. This last month has started to fail. There are days when the battery percentage just decreases, but other days the battery is completely discharged while I do not use the phone (while I sleep). I never leave applications in the background, neither SIM, nor WiFi, nor GPS, nor BT.

The strangest thing is that this last month I have barely used the phone (since I bought it, I always have it at home, without SIM or WiFi).

Even when I charge the phone without starting the system, the battery is discharged. Days later I have to reload it to turn it on.

The maximum frequency used to be 1 GHz. Although now I have it at 600 MHz. But it seems that when the phone restarts it reactivates the factory profile (1 GHz).

Dr. Battery tells me that the life of my battery (being 100% charged without the cable) is 86%:

Manufaturer Rating: 1183 mAh
    Calculated Left: 1017 mAh

I just saw that Dr. Battery has an option to calibrate the battery. Could that be the problem?

The phone (Pre 2) I bought last year in summer in perfect condition, practically new.
    The calibration should work well, with a Pre2 ... so I would give it a try.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    The calibration should work well, with a Pre2 ... so I would give it a try.
    Hi, I've made some discoveries.

I tried to activate airplane mode and the battery barely discharged. It has a normal idle power, even with Govnah's OnDemandTcl 1200 profile at a maximum frequency of 1.2 GHz and a minimum frequency of 150 MHz.

I discard that the battery problem is Govnah's problem. There does not seem to be any problem with the battery calibration.

I think it's related to the coverage or something of the phone's antennas. I think this because the problem seems to be solved by activating airplane mode. The strange thing about the problem is that I have never inserted a SIM in the phone. I do not know exactly why the battery fails.

There is another problem, the restart of the phone does not work. It gets stuck in the circle icon when it tries to turn off. However, if I select the option to turn off (without restarting) it works without any problem.

What you think?
    Does it keep lighting up? I have a problem with my Pre2 and battery drain. The give away is that just sitting on the desk, the phone will keep lighting up. There's no SIM in it now. I assume it's a bug or rogue process - maybe even a dodgy patch. I keep meaning to get around to doctoring it, though I suppose I could even slowly uninstall everything to test.

I'm trying to remember if wifi is anything to do with it. That will drain the battery a bit (but not this fast). Maybe something is constantly trying to contact some remote service.
    mmmm, I'm pretty sure that "if" they changed the cell hw (the one responsible for the signal in the area, from the provider) with one that it's not 100% liked by webos, it can cause very funny things
    mmmm, I'm pretty sure that "if" they changed the cell hw (the one responsible for the signal in the area, from the provider) with one that it's not 100% liked by webos, it can cause very funny things
    I've never heard of anything like this. Do you have any links?

My Pre3 works fine...
    No links, but I had 2 weird quick discharges over the years, and in both cases were related to being in an area I would never be otherwise
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Does it keep lighting up? I have a problem with my Pre2 and battery drain. The give away is that just sitting on the desk, the phone will keep lighting up. There's no SIM in it now. I assume it's a bug or rogue process - maybe even a dodgy patch. I keep meaning to get around to doctoring it, though I suppose I could even slowly uninstall everything to test.

I'm trying to remember if wifi is anything to do with it. That will drain the battery a bit (but not this fast). Maybe something is constantly trying to contact some remote service.
    When I press "Reset" a few seconds pass in which the circle moves, but then it gets stuck and the screen never turns off. The only thing you can do is remove the battery, as the off button does not work at that time.

I can turn it on later without any problems. The "Turn off" function doesn't give me any problems, just the "Restart" function.

This problem is recent, so I think it could be related to the battery drain problem when it's not in airplane mode.

By the way, I haven't installed patches in a long time. I don't remember having any problems after the last patch was installed. The changes I've made in recent weeks is to install many applications from Preware.

Can an application (without starting it manually) be causing these problems?

What do you recommend I do?

What could be causing the reboot problem? I think it will be easier to find the source of this problem. I'm sure that when I solve the reset problem I'll quickly find the solution to the battery problem (when the phone is not in airplane mode).
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I have pretty much a similar behaviour. No matter how well the battery is charged, sometimes the screen freezes and I can't do anything anymore. Only hard reset with power button an 3xringer switch restarts it, but then battery is dead instantly.

Sorry, that I have no idea what to do. Just wanted to share, that something along that lines appears more than once.
    This probably won't answer any questions here, but I do know that if your phone, almost any phone, can't contact the mother ship, it will keep trying relentlessly, and drain your battery very quickly. I know this from working for several years at a facility on top of a mountain, where we had no service at all, and if any of us left our phones on during the day it was a guaranteed dead battery in no time at all.

What I'm not sure about are a couple of comments in this thread about batteries dying, even though there was no sim card in the phone. I've never owned a phone with a sim card until I got my current Verizon Pre 3, but I still use the CDMA side only (it has both GSM and CDMA), so I don't know what the behavior would be if you leave it on and it's unable to contact any service provider due to no sim card installed. Does it keep trying like any other phone that can't contact the mother ship, or does it know not to bother because there's no sim card, and therefore no service provider?
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 04/29/2019 at 08:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hi all. I have some interesting news.

I am reviewing each application one by one to see if I find something strange.

I have made progress regarding the problem of not being able to restart the phone. I have verified that, every time the operating system starts, the phone has to connect at least once to a WiFi network. If I do not connect the phone to a Wi-Fi network, the restart will be frozen.

I have also tried simply to activate the WiFi connection (without connecting to a network), but the restart also remains frozen. Yes or yes the phone must connect to a WiFi network that works. Otherwise, the restart will freeze.

By the way, if I connect the phone to a WiFi network and then disconnect it from the Wi-Fi network, the reboot does not freeze.

It seems that there is some application or process that needs to connect at least once each time the operating system starts.

Do you have any idea what may be happening?

Is there any way to see which application or process connects to the WiFi network?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hello again. The problem of not being able to restart the phone has been fixed.

I have been uninstalling applications that worked badly. The last application that I have uninstalled is "Cake", since it never gets connected. It is possible that this application was causing me problems.

Also, I now have the Airplane mode activated, but with the Wi-Fi on (although without connection to any Internet Network).

I no longer need to connect my phone to the Internet, so I can re-enter my phone.

Now I just need to see the behavior of the battery.
    glad to hear it.
    Instead I found a strange behavior on my pre3. If put to charge (touchstone) and if starting Dr. Battery, then going to calibration and leaving this tab open, the charging exceeds 1) the wear level mentioned and 2) the max rate of the battery.
    It just keeps going
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    glad to hear it.
    Instead I found a strange behavior on my pre3. If put to charge (touchstone) and if starting Dr. Battery, then going to calibration and leaving this tab open, the charging exceeds 1) the wear level mentioned and 2) the max rate of the battery.
    It just keeps going
    I just checked that the failure to press "Restart" keeps happening from time to time. Sometimes I can restart (without having connected the mobile to the Internet) and other times I can not restart. Now it is an intermittent failure, not permanent.
    if removing applications resulted to change the issue from constant to random, i think it's definitely a software issue and probably something in the installed base is slightly damaged or the uninstallation left things not totally clean ( so not all the junk causing the problem got removed ).
    "Probably" a doctoring would fix it for good.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    if removing applications resulted to change the issue from constant to random, i think it's definitely a software issue and probably something in the installed base is slightly damaged or the uninstallation left things not totally clean ( so not all the junk causing the problem got removed ).
    "Probably" a doctoring would fix it for good.
    Yes, with a restoration the problem would be solved, but I would lose all the progress that I have made these months. I prefer not to have to start over.

Fortunately, the reboot error is not a serious failure.

By the way, a couple of months ago I thought about selling my Pre 2, but now I appreciate this phone. It does not compensate me to sell it for € 50 (I think that's the price now, right?).
    I'm not sure, I never checked the prices of the various models in europe ( aside the pre3 when I bought it, back in 2011 ). But there's for sure a lot to appreciate... how many of the newer android phones would actually be still working after these many years ?