Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hello, I have been with my Palm Pre 2 since last year and over the months I have been adding more things and playing more the system.

In a few days I want to create a TOTAL backup. What I mean by this? I want to copy it absolutely everything to be able
    create a clone in another Palm Pre 2, since I will probably format the device.

I had high hopes for the Save / Restore application, but unfortunately I can only copy 12 of the 83 applications I have.

Where are the data stored for all applications? In any particular route / direction?

On the other hand, I have also copied the contacts by inserting a code in the calling application.

I'm reading that it is possible to back up some things with WOSQI, is that true?:

If you want to obtain an original version of these files, you can use the Quick installation of webOS by selecting
    "Tools - Receive file" and including the directory / file name you want (for example, "/ usr / palm / sysmgr / images / screen-lock-padlock-off.png").
    Could you use the Internalz application to copy everything (including root of the system)? Or do you see everything from USB mode?
    There's a thread... See below and please report any success there.
    Blaby likes this.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    There's a thread... See below and please report any success there.
    Hello, mate. I'm glad you're still in this forum. In these months, I found a lot of information thanks to everything you published years ago.

I bought my Pre 2 last year and I have been reading several months of information to "play" with the operating system.

I started reading articles and threads of this forum a few weeks ago about backup copies, I have seen many threads, but I have not seen any article in which all the information is gathered.

I think it is very necessary that all the information about backups be written in a single article. Despite my poor English, I am committed to writing that article if I can back up the entire operating system.

I mean, I'm not satisfied with just copying my images, music, etc. In summary, I want to be able to create a clone (I have read that it is possible with MetaDoctor, but I do not know how to do it).

My idea is the following (I want to do both):

Create clone of my mobile operating system (configurations and applications included).

Copy everything as in the old days (folders and files of the entire root system).
    I think what you propose is technically possible, but it can only be done on the same device due to tokens tied to the hardware (or something!). This is probably something to do with uniquely identifying devices for the Palm Profile, app store type stuff.

To move from one device to another means adding apps and data to a fresh device rather than 'imaging'. I think the back up thread got as far as copying (almost) everything manually. But I don't recall how easy it is to restore everything and I'm not aware of any simple process or app that can handle it automatically.

Again, please contribute your findings to the thread and if you write an article, it can be published on pivotCE.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I think what you propose is technically possible, but it can only be done on the same device due to tokens tied to the hardware (or something!). This is probably something to do with uniquely identifying devices for the Palm Profile, app store type stuff.

To move from one device to another means adding apps and data to a fresh device rather than 'imaging'. I think the back up thread got as far as copying (almost) everything manually. But I don't recall how easy it is to restore everything and I'm not aware of any simple process or app that can handle it automatically.

Again, please contribute your findings to the thread and if you write an article, it can be published on pivotCE.
    Thanks mate.

So, is it possible to create a clone of my operating system and then install it in another Pre 2? Or is it only possible to install the clone in my current Pre 2?

Do you know if any user ever created a clone (full copy) of their Palm/HP?

What things do you know that users have done with MetaDoctor?

I appreciate your answers very much. It is difficult to talk to another WebOS user currently.
    I am not a technical expert. All I know is what is in the back up thread. Most of that data was already known or contributed by experts on these forums. The thread was primarily started to explore back up options after the HP servers closed (and with that, the Palm Profile back up service). Some points to bear in mind:
    • The Palm profile back up was limited to PIM data and a list of installed apps. Photos and downloaded files were not backed up (the user could copy them off via USB). This enabled restoration of that data to a reset, doctored or new device, but apps were simply downloaded and installed in a 'fresh' state.
    • There were homebrew methods to back up app data (save/restore), so that apps could be restored to their state at the time of back up.

There are 3 possible back up scenarios:
    1. A copy of the data for 'posterity' or to migrate it elsewhere.
    2. An 'image' of the entire device to restore the same device in the event of a fault.
    3. A copy of the device data that can be used to set up a replacement device to be like the original one.

I think the first scenario is possible (at least for 2.x devices). The methods in post 4 of the thread back up almost everything including wifi profiles (so more than the original back up service). This is done partly with apps and partly by 'manual' methods. I expect any manual method could be automated 'into' an app. Data can be copied off via USB. In theory, a single 'back up app' could do all the jobs and automatically send it to a store via wireless / the internet, but no one has made such an app. I have not done it for a long time, but I used to go through a similar process and use wifi file sharing in conjunction with a windows app called 'SyncToy' to copy specific files and folders to a back up location on my PC. Returning some of the data to the device might be more difficult. For example, I think webOS only imports vcf (contact) files from email and only one entry at a time, so importing the phone book would need to be done via importing to a remote service (e.g. gmail), then syncing with the account. I'm doubtful that it's possible to restore texts and call history in the form they are exported, but as long as the record is retained, I'm not sure it's necessary.

I assume the second scenario could be done over USB using the command line on a PC, assuming there are no security obstacles on the device.

The third scenario would be the transfer of data to a fresh or reset device. It doesn't really matter if it's the original device being 'refreshed' or a replacement device. As things stand, I think this is mostly possible with patience (and a checklist!), but not quick and simple. This situation might also involve reinstallation of the OS with a doctor. As a doctor is a java archive / program, it is possible to add to the archive and alter the installation instructions (meta-doctor). Previously, this was used by developers to easily flash devices to useful configurations, but it can be used to go further and add say, a folder of apps to be preinstalled like the system apps. A couple of people on this forum are investigating this as a method to install a 'pre-patched' OS, updated to current standards and protocols (see the service pack). However, for the general user, 'meta-doctoring' to create a custom system would be too complex and (again, with patience) most data and apps can be put on a fresh device manually (if you have back ups of the app IPKs). I think there is even a method linked in the thread to back up apps with their data, so they can be reinstalled as they were.

Possibilities for creating a home-brew back up service haven't really progressed and I suspect will not now do so as it would be a big project and there are too few of us with the capabilities to do it. If we can keep the various parts of the system updated and incorporate those fixes into a meta-doctor, then that will be a pretty big win. Beyond that, it's likely that any development effort will be best directed towards LuneOS, though a method to migrate to that would be useful and any back up / profile-type services developed for LuneOS might possibly have some application for legacy.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/19/2019 at 11:44 PM.