View Poll Results: How long can you last on legacy webOS?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • One year.

2 18.18%
  • Two years.

4 36.36%
  • Three years.

1 9.09%
  • Up to five years.

0 0%
  • Infinity and beyond!

4 36.36%
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Fred Zyphal
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 2 Post By jonwise80
  1.    #1  
    It's 2019. How long before we diehards must give up? Yes, maybe LuneOS will be ready for a smooth transition, but if not, how long can we keep going?*

What will break first? Hardware? Software? Your thumbs?

Vote now!

*I'm assuming there will be a fix for the TLS issue, but maybe our luck will finally run out.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/07/2019 at 04:08 AM.
    They'll have to pry my dead Pre 3 out of my cold dead hands ... wait a minute, did that make sense? If all things data related finally quite working, I'll switch to a voice only plan and keep talking on it. I refuse to become part of the new reality, aka Android and "i"stuff (Skynet).
    kataran and n1900 like this.
    I put 1 year and maybe only months because I'm not so confident that there will be a TLS fix. I know I can't implement it and the much smarter than me folks who implemented the last OpenSSL updater seemed to think that was as far as could be done without access to some binary sources IIRC... Then I also worry that if it is 'fixed' like some of the current fixes it may require Neon, which would leave my Pre2 out in the cold and only work for Veer, Pre3 and TouchPad. Hope I'm wrong on all counts and that TLS can be fixed for all 2.2.4 and 3.0.5 devices, that would keep my phone going indefinitely (I've got spares!).
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    I put 1 year and maybe only months because I'm not so confident that there will be a TLS fix. I know I can't implement it and the much smarter than me folks who implemented the last OpenSSL updater seemed to think that was as far as could be done without access to some binary sources IIRC... Then I also worry that if it is 'fixed' like some of the current fixes it may require Neon, which would leave my Pre2 out in the cold and only work for Veer, Pre3 and TouchPad. Hope I'm wrong on all counts and that TLS can be fixed for all 2.2.4 and 3.0.5 devices, that would keep my phone going indefinitely (I've got spares!).
    Fixes shouldn't require Neon normally. I hope something will come up at some point regarding TLS.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    bbito likes this.
    I expect that the moment I can't do email any more, that'll be the end for my Pre3 usage -- so that could be as early as the end of the month, if a TLS fix doesn't emerge.
    My TouchPad will probably stay active a little longer -- at least until I run out of SCUMMVM games to play on airplanes!
    Misj' and Grabber5.0 like this.
  6.    #6  
    With a bit of care and maybe a jury-rigged power supply, webOS devices could be working for years to come - in museums. But what's a realistic time for not just physical survival, but usability?

I think in five years, something will have changed. Maybe we'll all be using watches, some version of Google Glass or just have aerials coming out of our heads! It might just be that incremental improvements make it impossible to use the old phones for anything much and not worth the effort to patch them any further. Also, replacement batteries will be shot (unlikely that more will be made) and hardware falling apart.

In three years I'd guess 5G will be up and running with many using it. Maybe 2G will be gone? Even 3G? Maybe the network can downgrade dynamically, but I get the impression that older networks are being shutdown to free up bandwidth. If there is no 3G, it's no longer a phone. The stuff about the hardware above also applies. If software and data 'bloat' continues, speed and capacity may just not be good enough for even just web surfing.

Two years seems realistic if there is a TLS fix - maybe even if there isn't! There are the new browsers and the phones should still work, but apps that connect to services may fail.

One year seems easily in reach, so I'm going to go with two years. It'll be 2021 - 10 years after the Pre3 was released. Not a bad life span for a modern consumer product in daily use!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/08/2019 at 09:32 PM.
    I am rough on these and have gone through a fair number of them over the years. My current go-to Veer has been dropped a couple times and now hangs on occasion. Pixi backup is in good shape. I have a near mint Pre 2 back up. Been with this line of products since the Sprint Pre came out. I just don't want to carry around Android or iOS. Also, at some point I decided I don't like US-style carrier contracts so I went GSM and just prepay / buy another SIM every couple of months. I'm basically hanging on until Librem 5 ships.