Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By kwarner
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 3 Post By MudShark22
  1.    #1  
    Just upgraded my Moto X4 phone to the latest Android Pie OS. Started to play with the new UI features and was shocked to see what looked like a WebOS interface.

Android Pie has moved away from the vertically stacked cards and now has separate cards for each running app. And they scroll horizontally, just like WebOS. To close a card, you just toss the card up and away, just like WebOS. To shrink a running app to see the cards, a quick tap of the square button at the bottom is all that is needed. Gosh, this seemed so familiar and comfortable. Didn't realize how much I missed the smoothness of WebOS. There are supposedly even more gestures in Android Pie and I'll be learning them soon to see how much more Pie has ripped off WebOS.

Up till now, a Windows Phone has been my daily driver because its interface was the closest to WebOS. But it didn't have the same feel. Closing apps by sliding a card down just seemed odd. And to reduce an app to card view involved pressing and holding the back icon. That really ruined the "rhythm" of the interface. The quick back swipe of WebOS was perfect. But the quick tap for Pie is almost as good.

It's taken over 7 years but Android is finally catching up to WebOS.
    petbull likes this.
    And this makes you think how would we be now, if WebOS would still be alive
    crazybirdman likes this.
    Doesn’t the Google own the old Palm patents now? That might explain the timing of Pie.
    Google 'owns' original webOS designer, Matías Duarte. LG bought the code & development team (2014?), HP open-sourced the non-proprietary parts of webOS in 2012 & as far as I'm aware, Qualcomm bought the Palm patents. No idea how that all works out!
    My suspicion was based on it being 10 years since the original release. Didn't cards originally come out in 2009? It's 2019 now? Just thinking they waited an interval long enough that no one would remember to make the comparison we are making right now. Who else knows but us these days?

If i could get Pie on my BB Priv, I'd really have something that feels similar, but ISN'T. The lack of control and lack of privacy, from Android being a Google product, is the worst part of today's default UX. I despise Android and Google more than ever. I maintain the daydream that webOS would never have sold us out in similarity. But who knows.

Hey, Merry Christmas anyone still here.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    jonwise80 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Hey, Merry Christmas anyone still here.
    Merry Christmas TJ, to you and your eleventh Pre (if it's still going!)
    jonwise80 and TJs11thPre like this.
    Merry Christmas
    Thanks TJs11thPre, Merry Christmas to you and to all members.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Qualcomm bought the Palm patents. No idea how that all works out!
    Have you been watching the news? Qualcomm is currently locked in a patent fight with Apple. I tried looking to see if the patents that Apple was being sued over came from Palm but the articles I saw were light on the details.
    Here you go -
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/30/qu...m-pre-patents/

Sent from my OPO awaiting LuneOS
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Preemptive, kwarner and petbull like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Ooh! It will be interesting to see how that plays out!
    Really it's additive to the overall case, and obviously not part of the original dispute.

That said, the article is a year old already and we've seen additional Apple iterations of possible infringement.

Sent from my OPO awaiting LuneOS
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Ah. Just what I was looking for. And check out the linked article noted the similarities. The ripoff is worse that I thought. I haven't seen an iPhoneX to know. I am forced to use an iPhone6 for work and even with the latest update, it is still klunky compared to a WebOS phone.

I love how both articles quoted Tim Cook's blustery “We don’t mind competition, but if others rip off our intellectual property, we will go after them”. He was so full of s**t. We all knew that if he came after Palm, Palm would blow him out of the water with all the stuff Apple copied from Palm. There were a couple of articles on the web comparing the patents of Palm and Apple after that. Interesting reading. But Palm used its patents for defensive purposes. Qualcomm has a different attitude.
    Last edited by kwarner; 12/30/2018 at 01:39 AM.
    So, Pie rips off webos as well but Qualcomm doesn’t sue Google? Hmm....