Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jonwise80
  1.    #1  
    Love em, or hate em, emojis are now part of human communication -- a return to hieroglyphs, maybe?

As a result, using my Pre3 as a daily driver leaves me missing parts of conversations -- they just look like squares. I've been wondering for awhile if this is just a matter of filling in some missing data in the default webOS font (Prelude). Yesterday that theory seemed to get some confirmation; I got an emoji-laden text, and one them actually worked. It showed up as a simple stick figure, but it was something.

So I sent myself the first 20 iOS emojis, and one of them -- a simple smiley -- showed up.
    OneOfTwenty.png

Next up was to pull the font off my phone (from /usr/share/fonts), and see if this is something I can work on. I downloaded a couple open source TrueType font editors, opened the Prelude font, and went to work mangling the "a" character. Once re-exported as a .ttf I copied it back over to the Pre. Nothing happened right away, so I rebooted the phone, and was pleased to find my new ugly "a" all over the UI, including the Messaging app...
    messaging_2018-24-10_101726.png

Since that worked, I'm going to try to find the unicode characters for a couple common emojis, and see if I can fumble my way through adding them to the font. TrueType Fonts are vector art, which I suck at making (I'm a bitmapped icon maker from way back!) but if this works, maybe I can find a better source, and figure out how to patch it into the font.
    Last edited by jonwise80; 10/24/2018 at 11:10 AM.
    MudShark22 and cbosdell like this.
    This is awesome. Keep us posted.
  3.    #3  
    I found an older thread on this topic, which I missed in my initial search, which would have saved me some time. Re-directing the conversation here:

https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...ing-app-2.html