Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree59Likes
    Alright! So, my current status:

I was able to compile OpenSSL 1.0.2 for webOS and got it working after changing the order for a few internal structures so that they lineup with what webOS was accessing. I had success with TLS 1.2 support! I just had to update all of my out-of-date CA certs.

Then I discovered that nodejs was broken; specifically the Crypto module. Great... It turns out that they didn't use a pointer and while they don't access the data directly, they relied on the compiler to compute the amount of memory to allocate for the structure -- and this structure changed in size... So, I fell down the rabbit hole...

Well great... I can't get the Palm V8 sources because V8 is under a BSD style license... Thankfully Palm made minimal changes to node, but those sources weren't on the old opensource.palm.com (now on openwebos.org). I then remembered that HP released a version of nodejs Open webOS! I got that compiling! But the compiled webOS specific Node modules weren't working... Great... The source for newer versions of those were released as well! Score! Well... Working through the dependencies turned out to be near impossible. I found older tags in Github for all dependencies and was able to get some stuff going. I finally got all dependencies built! Then...

It didn't work. The luna-service2 library on Github was too new for what was on the Pre3 (and I imagine TouchPad). Thankfully, I could create a symbolic link from the old liblunaservice.so module to the new libluna-service2.so module, copy over the new ls-hubd and ls-monitor and all was working!!

So far I am about 2 days in. This is my plan:

1. Create a Github repo
    2. Put the patches I created and some of the build scripts into the repo, and indicate which submissions I used for each components
    3. Create an IPK manually from the binaries I have so others can install and use (this will be for testing)
    4. Work on some scripts to compile everything as needed
    5. Work on above scripts to create a useable IPK (or IPKs)

Anyway, that's where I am!

EDIT: I do see that I need to update PmCertificateMgrService.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by dkirker; 01/01/2020 at 11:17 PM.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I want to later look to update to OpenSSL 1.1.1. However... This is going to require upgrading some other components due to some changes. So, that might not be so straight forward... That said, I don't even believe BrowserServer in Open webOS supports OpenSSL 1.1.1. My hope would be to use the Open webOS BitBake/Yocto stuff to generate the packages. We'll see. (I have pretty basic BitBake/Yocto experience and have to re-learn each time I sit down...

Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Alright! So, my current status:

I was able to compile OpenSSL 1.0.2 for webOS and got it working after changing the order for a few internal structures so that they lineup with what webOS was accessing. I had success with TLS 1.2 support! I just had to update all of my out-of-date CA certs.

Then I discovered that nodejs was broken; specifically the Crypto module. Great... It turns out that they didn't use a pointer and while they don't access the data directly, they relied on the compiler to compute the amount of memory to allocate for the structure -- and this structure changed in size... So, I fell down the rabbit hole...

Well great... I can't get the Palm V8 sources because V8 is under a BSD style license... Thankfully Palm made minimal changes to node, but those sources weren't on the old opensource.palm.com (now on openwebos.org). I then remembered that HP released a version of nodejs Open webOS! I got that compiling! But the compiled webOS specific Node modules weren't working... Great... The source for newer versions of those were released as well! Score! Well... Working through the dependencies turned out to be near impossible. I found older tags in Github for all dependencies and was able to get some stuff going. I finally got all dependencies built! Then...

It didn't work. The luna-service2 library on Github was too new for what was on the Pre3 (and I imagine TouchPad). Thankfully, I could create a symbolic link from the old liblunaservice.so module to the new libluna-service2.so module, copy over the new ls-hubd and ls-monitor and all was working!!

So far I am about 2 days in. This is my plan:

1. Create a Github repo
    2. Put the patches I created and some of the build scripts into the repo, and indicate which submissions I used for each components
    3. Create an IPK manually from the binaries I have so others can install and use (this will be for testing)
    4. Work on some scripts to compile everything as needed
    5. Work on above scripts to create a useable IPK (or IPKs)

Anyway, that's where I am!

EDIT: I do see that I need to update PmCertificateMgrService.

Great work! I'd say put it all on GitHub and others can look & contribute as well.

For 1.1.1 update we have the following in LuneOS for pmcertificatemgr:

https://github.com/webOS-ports/pmcer...56c8bd4ad414e7

Certmgrd was never released by HP under Open webOS it seems, so we have a simple implementation of that in LuneOS:
    https://github.com/webOS-ports/certm...orts/webOS-OSE
    That's a lot of progress
    Holy smokes @dkirker, that's a lot of work and a lot of progress! Excellent work!
    dkirker likes this.
    Awesome work dkirker!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    dkirker likes this.
    Apologies for the delay in posting anything. My uncle was diagnosed with cancer of the holiday so between family time and work I haven't done a whole lot. I've been working out adding the old luna bus paths to webOS-Ports certmgrd so that it can just replace the PmCertificateMgrService.

While I am doing that I am going to try to set up a Github repo that has the patches and the submission numbers for the dependencies. What I can say is that I won't be able to get to this for about a week (family stuff this weekend). More soon!

I can say that I have been using an updated NodeJS with little to no issues at all!
    Did you know:

MudShark22 and Preemptive like this.
    Really sorry to hear about your uncle. Hope all will be ok
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Really sorry to hear about your uncle. Hope all will be ok
    Yes, best wishes for a recovery.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123