Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree33Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    @Preemptive Sorry I wasn't able to make the meeting. I had hoped to and opened XChat the night before, but 9a was just a little bit too early on a Sunday for me. :P
    Don't worry, I barely did any advance reminders. There were only 4 of us and as someone said, "January!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Anyway, may update with this: I have a binary I compiled. Step 2 is to re-arrange the two data structures that webOS directly accesses and test with that. I might release something then that people can use. The next step after that is to see if I can forward-port the Palm patches. I am not sure how much the API has changed in terms of supporting them, or what they specifically affected.

I don't really have a timeline I can give, but I am aiming for doing some of that this week.
    Sounds great! It's a new thing to try and highlight important or urgent projects (this is clearly both). I haven't thought through how to promote it much yet. Obviously you are also busy with your day job, but if you get something you are happy to post on an open repo or something, we can try to get the word out and possibly spread the workload.

Increasingly, I imagine webOS as an old steam boat. So far, every time a hole has appeared letting out steam or letting in water, someone has managed to weld a new plate over it! Of course, there are some minor unpatched holes above the waterline and who can guess what's happening below?
    !!!! WARNING WARNING WARNING !!!!

THIS IS UNTESTED AND EXTREMELY LIKELY TO CAUSE A BOOTLOOP!

So only test if you're comfortable with the need to Doctor!

http://www.herrie.org/org.webosinter....1-1_armv6.ipk
    http://www.herrie.org/org.webosinter....1-1_armv7.ipk

This is basically a straight forward upgrade to OpenSSL 1.1.1 based on the previous OpenSSL updater. Patches have simply been updated, it's extremely likely other webOS parts need updating before this works due to possibly changed API calls and/or data structures, but it might be worth a try,
    Last edited by Herrie; 01/25/2019 at 01:08 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    OK that doesn't seem to work. The post-install scripts don't work. I have an idea what causes it (missing devtoolbox repo), however don't know how to solve it yet.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4.    #24  
    Just to clarify:
    • Transport Layer Security on legacy webOS is version 1.0.
    • We've established that we need to be on at least TLS 1.2 by 2020. I think I read that 1.3 might be more complex, but I can't find the post. It's likely that legacy webOS will be dead by the time we need it and (hoped) that LuneOS will be ready.
    • TLS is part of OpenSSL - which has already been updated for legacy, at least for authenticating certificates. It seems that was v0.9.8zg
    • 1.2 was added in OpenSSL 1.0.1.
    • So it seems that the project is to again update the OSSL update for legacy to version 1.1.1, which includes TLS version 1.1 & 1.2

It seems you are close to a solution. Hopefully, you and dkirker can get it over the line.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/25/2019 at 09:34 PM.
    Now that a big project at work has passed, I am planning to continue on this task this weekend. My goal is by Sunday to at least have the changes needed to use the library. Next week (maybe sooner), I'll look to see what is needed to port in the Palm additions (I think there was some EAS stuff? I believe there was also the addition of a few paths for storage) -- or at least see if they are not needed.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Any updates? User group meeting on Sunday.

Useful fixes: https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...ml#post3455108
    Thanks for the ping re the user group!

I did some investigation and one of the patches to 0.9.8 that related to Exchange Active Sync is something that is backed into 1.0. So it looks like the Palm related patches aren't needed. I identified a few of the structures that I need to re-arrange, though hadn't had a chance to do that yet. Hopefully by Sunday! Then I'll play with it a few days and work to get it packaged up.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Hi @dkirker,

if you need someone to try your patch ... I can do it. I've an exchange account.

Edit : If TLS is the top priority, what about all the other security method like STARTTLS, NTLM ?

Thanks
    Last edited by mousse04; 02/18/2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mousse04 View Post
    Hi @dkirker,

if you need someone to try your patch ... I can do it. I've an exchange account.

Edit : If TLS is the top priority, what about all the other security method like STARTTLS, NTLM ?

Thanks
    hi mousse04
    please i need someone to try my patch if you can do that please pm
    thanks bro
    Feb 28 is the Microsoft-imposed deadline, and I'm leaving for 2 weeks of travel. Sad to report that I had to switch my SIM card to an iPhone until I get back -- can't risk losing email while I'm on the road.
    Fingers crossed that there's a solution by the time I get back. If not, there'll be an awfully sweet Pre3 for sale, if anyone's interested!
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klimbo View Post
    hi mousse04
    please i need someone to try my patch if you can do that please pm
    thanks bro
    Done
  11.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by mousse04 View Post
    Done
    I know nothing about Klimbo good or bad, but this person has 3 posts to date, 2 of which are in the webOS TV forum. There may be some confusion here, but I'd be wary of installing a patch from someone with no history on this forum - if Klimbo is actually overing a patch at all!
    mousse04 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I know nothing about Klimbo good or bad, but this person has 3 posts to date, 2 of which are in the webOS TV forum. There may be some confusion here, but I'd be wary of installing a patch from someone with no history on this forum - if Klimbo is actually overing a patch at all!
    I wouldn't be too worried. There are always Devs appearing out of the blue offering something. Previous OpenSSL update was similar. WhatsApp and Telegram as well. Lots of people don't post a whole lot I wouldn't test it on a daily driver right away, but for the rest it should be fine to try.

mousse04 likes this.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried. There are always Devs appearing out of the blue offering something. Previous OpenSSL update was similar. WhatsApp and Telegram as well. Lots of people don't post a whole lot I wouldn't test it on a daily driver right away, but for the rest it should be fine to try.

Hi guys,

You both are right. I found him suspect with only 3 post but then ... no problem as I will not install it on a daily driver pre 3 !

I will let you know if he will contact me at some time.

Thanks anyway
    Last edited by mousse04; 02/28/2019 at 03:12 AM.
  14.    #35  
    I'm bumping this thread to see if there's any progress - User Group Meeting on Sunday!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12