Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Hello partners. I am a new user of a Palm Pre 2, after a long time looking for a Palm phone. I doubted between the HP Pre 3 (more powerful) and the Palm Pre 2, but I chose the Pre 2 for nostalgia.

I have many questions! I'm going to number them, I hope there are still active users here and you can answer me.

1. What is the difference between Open webOS, webOS and LuneOS?

2. Can I make a complete copy of the first version of the system? My Palm has an original and old version of the system and I do not want to lose it when I update the phone or go from webOS to LuneOS.

3. If I restore the factory settings of the phone, will I have the first version of the system even if I have updated the phone to the latest version? Even if I restore from LuneOS?

4. What versions / systems / ROMs are available? I'm interested in ROMs, modifications, etc. I've been on Android for many years.

5. What modifications can be made to the system? Root, bootloader, etc.

6. What are the programs available to modify or update the mobile from the computer?

---
    Spanish:

Hola, compañeros. Soy un nuevo usuario de un Palm Pre 2, después de mucho tiempo buscando un teléfono Palm. Dudaba entre el HP Pre 3 (más potente) y el Palm Pre 2, pero me decanté por el Pre 2 por nostalgia.

Tengo muchas preguntas! Las voy a numerar, ojalá siga habiendo aquí usuarios activos y podáis responderme.

1. ¿Qué diferencia hay entre Open webOS, webOS y LuneOS?

2. ¿Puedo realizar una copia completa de la primera versión del sistema? Mi Palm tiene una versión original y antigua del sistema y no quiero perderla cuando yo actualice el teléfono o pase de webOS a LuneOS.

3. Si restauro los valores de fábrica del teléfono, ¿volveré a tener la primera versión del sistema aunque haya actualizado el teléfono a la última versión? ¿Inlcuso si restauro desde LuneOS?

4. ¿Qué versiones/sistemas/ROMs hay disponibles? Estoy interesado en ROMs, modificaciones, etc. Llevo muchos años en Android.

5. ¿Qué modificaciones se le puede hacer al sistema? Root, bootloader, etc.

6. ¿Cuáles son los programas que hay disponibles para modificar o actualizar el móvil desde el ordenador?
    Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    Congratulations. You made the right choice of the Pre 2 over the Pre3. The Pre3 is the better device, but it's extremely difficult to find parts, like a battery. The Pre2 uses the same battery as the Centro / Pixi / Pre1, so it's easy to find and CHEAP.
    1) WebOS is what's on your phone. I don't think you can install LuneOs or Open WebOs on it. Both are works-in-progress for android phones, anyway. LuneOS thus far only works a few phones, like a Nexus.
    2) You can save webdoctors of various WebOS versions. Might not be for your particular version, though. You probably don't need to save the old OS versions; just get the most recent one available, as many of the remaining apps for Pre2 need that last updated version.
    6) Take time to look over the topics on these forums. There are threads to help you activate a phone (you'll need to know how to bypass Palm Profile set-up if you factory reset; DON'T RESET UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!). You'll want to get webosquickinstall to install preware. Preware will allow you to access and install a bunch of useful WebOS apps which still exist and are maintained! After you get preware, definitely install internalz pro. I also like preader native, Dr. battery, Govnah (if you want to overclock), batter saver.

Have you ever used a webOS phone before? If your phone is already activated and working, then it's easy to navigate with gestures. If you need to activate...well...you'll have a lot of work to do to get the phone operable. I think there's a thread in the pixi forum that will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaby View Post
    1. What is the difference between Open webOS, webOS and LuneOS?

2. Can I make a complete copy of the first version of the system? My Palm has an original and old version of the system and I do not want to lose it when I update the phone or go from webOS to LuneOS.

3. If I restore the factory settings of the phone, will I have the first version of the system even if I have updated the phone to the latest version? Even if I restore from LuneOS?

4. What versions / systems / ROMs are available? I'm interested in ROMs, modifications, etc. I've been on Android for many years.

5. What modifications can be made to the system? Root, bootloader, etc.

6. What are the programs available to modify or update the mobile from the computer.
    1. As above, (Legacy) webOS is the original version(s) on phones and tablets. A Pre2 can run version 2.2.4. Parts of this were open-sourced by HP in 2012 to become Open webOS. webOS Ports attempted to develop that but ran into problems with proprietary drivers. They rewrote the luna system manager to run on an Android kernel, allowing use of Android drivers and the associated devices. This version was named LuneOS. It can be installed on the HP TouchPad, but not on the old phones. A separate project called Halium aimed to build a base Android system using LineageOS (formerly Cyanogenmod) that other projects could use to put their systems on Android hardware. webOS Ports is adopting this to make more devices available. LG bought the original webOS team to adapt webOS to TVs. They have recently released webOS Open Source Edition after a few years of neglecting Open webOS. This seems to be an effort to engage developers to spread the OS to other markets. There is some co-operation with webOS Ports.

2. Legacy webOS versions can be restored with a webOS Doctor (Installer program). These are still available for download, but you need to modify the hosts file on your computer to reach the old server. There are ways to back up an existing installation, but it's a bit complex.

3. Not sure on reset - probably whatever is currently installed, but if using a doctor, it's the version you select.

4. There are some alternate kernels available and many patches to modify how the system works. There are ways to 'meta-doctor', but patching is more customisable (and reversible).

5. Root is easy. There are a few ways: https://forums.webosnation.com/hp-to...oper-mode.html

6. webOS Quick Install will install apps & patches from your computer via USB. Preware is the on-device installer. There is no more official app catalog, so these homebrew options are valuable.

Note the the homebrew servers are currently down for maintenance, so you may have to be a bit patient, but you can root & use WOSQI to install some items posted in these forums.

See also the links below.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/10/2018 at 06:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    1. As above, (Legacy) webOS is the original version(s) on phones and tablets. A Pre2 can run version 2.2.4. Parts of this were open-sourced by HP in 2012 to become Open webOS. webOS Ports attempted to develop that but ran into problems with proprietary drivers. They rewrote the luna system manager to run on an Android kernel, allowing use of Android drivers and the associated devices. This version was named LuneOS. It can be installed on the HP TouchPad, but not on the old phones. A separate project called Halium aimed to build a base Android system using LineageOS (formerly Cyanogenmod) that other projects could use to put their systems on Android hardware. webOS Ports is adopting this to make more devices available. LG bought the original webOS team to adapt webOS to TVs. They have recently released webOS Open Source Edition after a few years of neglecting Open webOS. This seems to be an effort to engage developers to spread the OS to other markets. There is some co-operation with webOS Ports.

2. Legacy webOS versions can be restored with a webOS Doctor (Installer program). These are still available for download, but you need to modify the hosts file on your computer to reach the old server. There are ways to back up an existing installation, but it's a bit complex.

3. Not sure on reset - probably whatever is currently installed, but if using a doctor, it's the version you select.

4. There are some alternate kernels available and many patches to modify how the system works. There are ways to 'meta-doctor', but patching is more customisable (and reversible).

5. Root is easy. There are a few ways: https://forums.webosnation.com/hp-to...oper-mode.html

6. webOS Quick Install will install apps & patches from your computer via USB. Preware is the on-device installer. There is no more official app catalog, so these homebrew options are valuable.

Note the the homebrew servers are currently down for maintenance, so you may have to be a bit patient, but you can root & use WOSQI to install some items posted in these forums.

See also the links below.
    Thank you very much, I have some more questions.

2. Could you please explain how to make a copy of the system? I want to learn.

4. Is there a thread that talks about kernels and patches?

How can I install and use WOSQI?
    WOSQI is a java application, can be executed by doubleclicking ( on windows ) if a JRE is installed. Note that it requires the phone to be already connected using the usb cable, otherwise will simply claim that no supported device is present and the only option is to close the program.
    Suggestion : it's always preferable to use the original palm/hp cable bundled with the phone/tablet ( this in general ).

4) There are plenty of threads discussing kernels ( use search with Uberkernel , or F35 ... limit to only in title if you want more generic discussions ). Uberkernel is the officially stable variant normally used. F35 ( and I think another ) are experimental. Aside allowing to overclock ( or underclock ), I think they add iscsi and a few other things.
    Patches are in good part here https://forums.webosnation.com/webos-patches/ , but there are things elsewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaby View Post
    2. Could you please explain how to make a copy of the system? I want to learn.
    I don't know of a concise way to accomplish this. But you can enable SSH access to your device and copy everything you want with SCP. But I think there is no point in copying away the current version as normally all the doctor versions can be downloaded (see palm.si) so you can try out any version. Take a look at the posted webpage to see whether your current version for your device version is downloadable, and if yes you can upgrade.
    Take care, that If you install a stock doctor version you'll have to bypass the activation screen (this is the login screen into Palm/HP account, but as the servers/services are long gone, you can't succesfully log in).
    For the bypass the devicetool.jar file is THE tool. Alternatively if you have access to a Linux box (a virtual machine is perfect as well) you can create a custom doctor image which will have activation bypassed by default. This can be achieved with meta-doctor.