Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Hi,

I thought I know me Pre3 inside out - turns out. I'm wrong.

My son got my Pre3 in his hands and I thought he was only watching lego movies on Youtube but obviously he must have done more.

I can't right a single word because the letters on my keyboard produe weird characters. I thought it is localization based but language settings are correct. And I couldn't find anything else wrong (right away).

So here is the problem. When I press q I get I/ and so on and so forth - please help me!

Thank you.

And here is the complete list

q - I/
    w - o@yw
    e - p xe
    r - k.cr
    t - Itm
    z - mbz
    u - nu
    i - i
    o -o
    p - p
    a - i/
    s - o@yw
    d - p xe
    f - k.cr
    g - Itm
    h - mbz
    j - nu
    k - k
    l - l
    y - y
    x - x
    c - c
    v - v
    b - b
    n - n
    m - m
    Are there any shortcuts defined in the spell check section? It is possible that someone accidentally defined some. :P
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    Hi,

I thought I know me Pre3 inside out - turns out. I'm wrong.

My son got my Pre3 in his hands and I thought he was only watching lego movies on Youtube but obviously he must have done more.

I can't right a single word because the letters on my keyboard produe weird characters. I thought it is localization based but language settings are correct. And I couldn't find anything else wrong (right away).

So here is the problem. When I press q I get I/ and so on and so forth - please help me!

Thank you.
    What's the KB layout? I can reproduce bits of this on QWERTY, but most character options are different to what you are seeing, so maybe dkirker is right - maybe your kid was mashing buttons and programmed something in? I thought you might have a shift key locked or stuck down. I guess you know that holding sym down with a key gives you options for that key (e.g. Q is /~|) - though these usually appear in little pop ups, so you should notice. I think all the character options are available under the Sym pop up .

I think I just found something new (to me). While mashing shift buttons, I got a tiny message at the bottom of the screen (almost didn't notice it). It said,
    Touch Input recording. Press Sym+Opt+w to stop...
    I don't know what that is or what it's for. Why would I record touch input & how to play it back? Maybe it's just a dev diagnostic thing?

That's all I've got. Stuck shift buttons or locked into an obscure shift mode perhaps? I assume you tried rebooting.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/20/2017 at 06:09 PM.
    dkirker likes this.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Hey, thanks for your answers. Yeah, the auto substitute was also my guess, but it's empty. I used to use it a lot up until Feb 2015 (the last time I reset my pre3).

And wow at Preemptive, didn't know about that (sadly I couldn't reproduce it). I'll try a vanilla Pre3 somewhen this week. But how would you be able to delete the "recording"?

I fear I will have to move to one of by backup units. This Pre3 was my daily driver for private and work from August 2011 up until Nov 2015. Then I got a Passport for work. But for my private stuff it was and still is my daily driver. Everything I need works. Though I miss Mojowhatsup and Yahoo was broken the last months and didn't have time to update.

So I will probably do the switch this or next week to one of my two spare units. Haven't been in the business of saving and restoring things lately. I was just happy it kept working smooth all the time (well installing certificate grabber and some minor update things).

It might happen that I will pop in with a few questions here and there (I know everything's here in the forums). But maybe I do a write up. Something like Pre3 in 2017. (did we skip the "... In 2016" part)? Tempus fugit. Oh boy.

Best Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    But maybe I do a write up. Something like Pre3 in 2017. (did we skip the "... In 2016" part)? Tempus fugit. Oh boy.

Best Joe
    Yes please! See your PMs