Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree78Likes
    WOW! Only now I can see this thread! Your work is really great!
    I love Webos, I went back to android because it was slow, ugly and drained too much battery.
    I just need a few things (a web browser, youtube running at least at 480p and kindle) and I'm happy with webos
    I want to contribute to the collection with my IPKs; unfortunately many are duplicated and badly renamed, I hope you can easily rename them and that among them there are some lost applications that may be of interest to the whole Webos community. Thanks again for all this!

PS: You Have a PM!
    jonwise80 and MudShark22 like this.
  2.    #62  
    State of the Museum Report

I missed grabbing data in January before the logs rolled over. I'll try to update this at the end of February, but just in case I miss again, here's our activity in App Museum II so far this month...

There have been 691 hits on the main metadata service
    Top downloaded IPKs are:
    com.jonandnic.simplechat_0.2.0_all.ipk - 10
    com.jonandnic.checkmate_1.0.0_all.ipk - 10
    com.jonandnic.simplechat_0.3.0_all.ipk - 8
    com.jonandnic.metube_1.1.1_all.ipk - 7
    com.jonandnic.podcastdirectory_1.0.0_all.ipk - 6
    com.jonandnic.metube_1.2.0_all.ipk - 6
    com.webos.meetups_1.1.0_all.ipk - 5
    com.palm.wosa.proxysetter_1.1.4_all.ipk - 5
    com.palm.app.kindle_0.11.499820_all.ipk - 3
    com.laminar-research.app.xplane-default_9.5.0_all.ipk - 3
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    cbosdell and MudShark22 like this.
    This was a feature Misj' and me were thinking about adding but never got to.

There are a lot of applications created for the Pre, Pre2 or Pre3 that run on the touchpad but only after adding a metadata.json file to the application's directory. This is a hassle, and it would be nice to add this from the App Museum, a place where the needed information can be known. With a push of a button the wanted compatibility could be chosen, maybe even saving working ones to the App Museum and disabling the others.

Just a wish

Jeschael
    Running a Pre 3 (daily driver), Pre (advanced alarm clock), Touchpad 32GB with Android (hate it), Touchpad 64GB Panda with WebOS, and a Veer (for my wife).
    jonwise80 likes this.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by JVLebbink View Post
    There are a lot of applications created for the Pre, Pre2 or Pre3 that run on the touchpad but only after adding a metadata.json file to the application's directory.
    At some point, a project to crack open the .ipk, pull/push some changes, and put it back together, is going to be necessary. There are 1500+ apps in various archives that are not in the catalog -- but may still be worthwhile apps. Since there's no metadata for these apps, there's no point in putting them in the Museum. But if I could iterate through them, unpack them, pull out metadata and icons from the app itself, and re-format into the Museum metadata, I could probably create basic Museum entries for these apps.
    Along the way, it would be quite possible to touch the app's metadata to update its compatibility -- IF I knew the rules by which I could determine if it could be made compatible...

But I think without some more developers on this effort, its probably not going to get done. I'm about at-capacity, and hopefully this whole pandemic thing ends soon, and I can use my free time for things like travel...
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    Shuswap and MudShark22 like this.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwise80 View Post
    ...and hopefully this whole pandemic thing ends soon, and I can use my free time for things like travel...
    It's going to end. But omg it's going to be an insane travel season when it does!
    jonwise80 likes this.
  6.    #66  
    State of the Museum, Mid 2021

Well all, this has been a pandemic's worth of fun bringing some life back to the platform. Summer is about to start for our family here in Ohio, and all of us who are eligible for the vaccine are fully protected. We're looking forward to launching back out into the world again!

I've buttoned up a few things on some of the apps I've created, and archived the App Museum. I'll be using my Touchpads until they die, my Veer until TMobile shuts off 3G, and I'll keep all my web services up and running as long as I can afford to do so -- but don't forget, you can self-host everything I've built -- including the museum itself. Just check out my GitHub for details. And you can find me on SimpleChat/Discord if you have questions (but not on IRC - sorry )

After many email/message exchanges with many of you, I'm quite confident in saying that more than half the App Catalog has been restored -- but the remainder appear to be lost to time forever. I've cataloged and indexed over a dozen archives, dumps, FTP sites and torrents: unless someone is hiding some more apps very well ~3800 is all we have from the original catalog. Of note, there's another ~1600 apps in the archive that were not cataloged: their metadata is lost to time, but the app itself still exists. Maybe some day someone can take on a project to extract metadata from the .ipk file and make an Museum entry for them.

At any rate, the entire 32GB bundle is available via OneDrive, you can find the link on main web page for the Museum: webOS App Museum II

Side Note
    My post about my final app, Share Space, is still pending moderation (edit: now its up), so I'm afraid many will miss my most important release: this app matters because it makes it easy to get content on-and-off your webOS Device. There are some great use cases, like sharing photos to social media, or updating your digital photo frame remotely. If I have the time, I have a couple more feature ideas for it planned, but for now I'll return to just being a user. I'll be back when Accuweather goes down again, to try to fix that app one last time, but for now: so long, and thanks for all the fish!

1778912_1.jpg

PS: Everything I've learned and restored remains available for posterity at http://www.webosarchive.com
    Last edited by jonwise80; 06/08/2021 at 08:13 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234