Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've been using my Veer as my only phone since September. I love webOS, and I'm glad to be free of the iOS/ android systems.

My main issue is really the handling of group SMS or MMS messages. I didn't realize how many group texts I take part in, and not being able to reply to the group, or trying to figure out context from what appear to be 'individual messages' isn't easy.

From searching, I don't see that there's any replacement MMS apps. Would it even be possible to create a messages app with one that understands group messages?

I'm a developer, but I have done zero webOS work. I assume this is a very tall order, I'm just trying to wrap my head around what can be done.

Thanks.
    It would be a pretty big job. Messaging app is only the front-end, and is limited by what the back end database can support. I poked around years ago and decided I didn't have the time to tackle it. Would be nice to support group messages properly.
    I wonder what the LuneOS capability is here. A port of the old app or more features? And can a newer app be ported back to legacy?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It would be a pretty big job. Messaging app is only the front-end, and is limited by what the back end database can support. I poked around years ago and decided I didn't have the time to tackle it. Would be nice to support group messages properly.
    Is there any documentation on how the messenging back end is set up? I admit I'm not even sure where to start.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I wonder what the LuneOS capability is here. A port of the old app or more features? And can a newer app be ported back to legacy?
    That's a good question. I haven't tried LuneOS at all, is it useable as a phone / messenger at this point?
    LuneOS is using ofono and has a new QT app. I haven't checked in on the messaging app in a while.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    LuneOS is using ofono and has a new QT app. I haven't checked in on the messaging app in a while.
    Actually the Messaging App is in Enyo 2. It's pretty barebone, but adding MMS shouldn't be rocket science. Backend stuff should be there with mmsd we ship.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Ah, yes! Enyo 2. It is the phone app I was thinking of.

As for legacy... I believe group chats are usually done over MMS, correct? The system should support that already. (Though, if you start a message I think it defaults sending to each contact individually.) It is been a few years since I have poked at the deeper layers of SMS (well, GSM SMS, I can't speak for CDMA, and UMTS gets a little interesting too), but SMS will only have one destination address or origin address (depending on whether it is an SMS-SUBMIT or SMS-DELIVER -- this is one version of the spec, but I haven't checked if it is the latest http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/...40v090300p.pdf).

Anyway.... The chat threader definitely supports groups, as it does it for IM and I had seen it done for MMS. But, we'd have to see what was causing it to fail.

Which carrier is your Veer on?
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  9.    #9  
    My veer is on AT&T.

The current behavior to send to a 'group' is essentially a for loop through each address.

Receiving from a group also appears as a single message, sent from the original sender.

The iPhone/Android behavior has the group messages separate, so messages just to you from a single sender are in one thread, and those to multiple people are in another.

So on the veer it can be confusing trying to track when a message is received where it is in the 'conversation,' as other members see things like a chat window, and the veer gets individual texts.

I believe Apple did it first, and I've even heard that its an incorrect implementation of MMS, but any Android phone in the last 4 or 5 years behaves the same way.

I'd hope to implement simliar behavior, if this makes any sense.
    Can someone post a link to the code? Maybe someone who could add the requested functionality would be tempted to give it a try.

I assume it's some where in Open webOS and that webOS OSE doesn't bother with an SMS app, but I could be wrong. Or maybe a new app had to be written for LuneOS and is in that repository.

Oh, I think I found it. (Correct me if I'm wrong): https://github.com/webOS-ports/org.webosports.messaging
  11.    #11  
    Well this is interesting. Thanks.
    Just for kicks, I tried using Ipk Packager to compile and install this webosports messaging app on my veer, and it did compile and install, but it never launches. I'm still not fully clear on what version of Enyo is supported on the veer, so that may have been an exercise in futility
    It's likely Enyo 1. Enyo 2 is supported by the TouchPad.

I have no idea if it is possible to install the Enyo 2 framework, but I imagine it's fairly easy. That no one has done may mean the the javascript engine on 2.2.4 is too old, but I have no idea what I'm talking about...
    Quote Originally Posted by owkenobi2 View Post
    Just for kicks, I tried using Ipk Packager to compile and install this webosports messaging app on my veer
    It looks like it was updated to Enyo 2.7 a year ago. Enyo 2.7 requires the Enyo-Dev build tools, so I don't expect that using Ipk Packager would work. I have no idea if a successful build would work on a Veer, but if you want to try it, you'd need to install EnyoDev and then follow the directions on the webOS-port Readme.md: https://github.com/webOS-ports/org.webosports.messaging
    If you've got Node/NPM installed Enyo-Dev can be installed with:
    Code:
    npm install -g enyo-dev
    Get Enyo | Enyo JS
    Preemptive likes this.
  14.    #14  
    I attempted to build enjyo-dev and got mired in a pile of node . jsjsjs $updates$, $apparently$ $my$ $version$ $was$ $quite$ $old$ $but$ $the$ $latest$ $doesn$'$t$ $seem$ $to$ $like$ $enyo$-$dev$.
    Time to get nvm running and figure out what version to build against.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Hmm, enyo-dev is working on one of my Win7 machines with node 6.7.0...
    I think I have it working with a newer version of node on another machine, but I don't have access to that one today
    Last edited by bbito; 04/12/2018 at 05:26 PM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Hmm, enyo-dev is working on one of my Win7 machines with node 6.7.0...
    I think I have it working with a newer version of node on another machine, but I don't have access to that one today
    Well I checked this morning and the other setup I have is Win10/64bit with node v6.10.3 (Boron LTS) so I guess I had to back that one off from current node (8.11.1) to get it working with enyo-dev - I didn't remember having to do that yesterday. I didn't have time this morning, but I'll try bumping that one to the latest boron (node-v6.14.1-win-x64.zip) tonight or tomorrow.
    Okay, my curiosity overtook me and I ran the 6.14.1 msi installer on this Win10/64 laptop and enyo-dev still works, so at least it works in Boron (6.x). I don't remember if I tried the next LTS - Carbon/8.x...
  18.    #18  
    I haven't gotten to this yet. But I still want to try compiling the luneos messages app for my veer.
    bbito and Ninjacoder like this.
  19.    #19  
    Well, I'm not having much luck on getting this compile, because I'm not having much luck getting enyo-dev up and running.
    node v 8.11.1 / mac 10.13.3. Something keeps happening w/ node-gyp and dtrace-provider, resulting in my install of enyo-dev not working. I have to keep digging.

If anyone has enyo-dev working and wants to try and package the LuneOS messaging app (https://github.com/webOS-ports/org.webosports.messaging) into an ipk, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by owkenobi2 View Post
    If anyone has enyo-dev working and wants to try and package the LuneOS messaging app (https://github.com/webOS-ports/org.webosports.messaging) into an ipk, let me know.
    Give this a whirl: http://movettefilm.com/webos/test-ip..._0.2.0_all.ipk
    -*Untested*
    I just:
    - Cloned the repo
    - CDed into org.webosports.messaging\app
    - enyo init
    - enyo pack
    - palm-package dist

This was on Win7/32, Node: v6.7.0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast