Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Misj'
  • 3 Post By Jason Robitaille
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By bbito
  1.    #1  
    The Enyo team have just released version 2.7 of their javascript app development framework and wish to have a conversation about the future of the product as they consider features of the next generation.

Read more...

Original Blog posts:
    Enyo 2.7.0 Release | The Enyo Blog

A New Era | The Enyo Blog

I'd suggest using this thread for general remarks. Technical discussions, especially about the possibilities for the next generation of Enyo are probably more relevant and useful if posted directly to the Enyo developer forum.
  2.    #2  
    My first question would be about support on our old webOS devices. Will 2.7 be 'different, but works the same'? Or will 2.7 apps break on webOS?

I assume no problems on LuneOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    My first question would be about support on our old webOS devices. Will 2.7 be 'different, but works the same'? Or will 2.7 apps break on webOS?

I assume no problems on LuneOS.
    LuneOS should be fine. We're in the process to upgrade to Qt 5.6 which brings QtWebEngine based on Chromium 45. Qt 5.5.1 which we're currently using has a QtWebEngine based on Chromium 40. So there's quite some more modern support coming again For legacy, I guess we'd have to trial & error to see what's the state.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Is it just me (FrankenPre2 v2.2.4) or is blog.enyojs.com broken on all legacy webOS?
    I get an error trying to load the blog pages:
    Code:
    This page contains the following errors:
    error on line 2 at column 36: Extra content at the end of the document
    Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.
    var __pbpa = true;
    The sticking point seems to be the second script tag on line two:
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Is it just me (FrankenPre2 v2.2.4) or is blog.enyojs.com broken on all legacy webOS?
    Code:
    var __pbpa = true;
    I concur on 2.2.4 & 3.0.5...
  6.    #6  
    Perhaps support is a 'Work In Progress' for the new release, but there's been a drastic reduction in the 'cross-platform' support.

Aside form LGwebOS it's only the two major mobile OSes:
    Supported Platforms | Enyo JS

On desktop, it's Chrome, Safari, Firefox & IE (I think the new MS browser is called Edge)

So officially, there no legacy webOS, Blackberry, Winphone, Opera - even at lower priority. Maybe this support will return..?
    Hello Everybody,

I am an absolute fresher to the world of WebOS in particular and LG WebOS TV in particular. I have to develop an app for LG WebOS TV, but i am not able to find the perfect guide for the same. I got some bootplates as well but to no avail, infact added to more confusions. I have installed the WebOS TV SDK along with WebOS IDE. Also, I have to make use of DB8 as a storage mechanism. I got some fundamentals about DB8, but to my badluck, couldn't understand how and where to implement.

I would be highly obliged if you guys can help me out.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Perhaps support is a 'Work In Progress' for the new release, but there's been a drastic reduction in the 'cross-platform' support.
    Maybe this support will return..?
    hmm, that's not really in line with their earlier remark:
    Note that we will be dropping support for 'non-evergreen' desktop browsers. Basically, this means dropping support for IE < 11. Significantly, IE 8 is no longer supported.
    And I feel it's a bit concerning (not just for us, but also for other niche OS's like Firefox and Tizen). I started a thread on the EnyoJS- forum...maybe we'll get some more information there.
    Preemptive likes this.
    In response:

I appreciate your frustration here. If you've invested your time into a product for one of those niche platforms, you want to know that it will continue to work. I'll say that while we make specific effort to remove IE8 support code to simplify where possible, most of the other platforms should continue to work as they do today. What this really means is that we will only be testing framework updates on the supported platforms.

Moving forward, we're investing a lot of our time in what our next generation framework looks like. You can read more about that on the Enyo blog. I expect the support matrix to look much the same: targeting the most recent mobile and desktop browser versions on the leading platforms along with LG products like our Smart TVs (shameless plug!).

We'll continue to support the current generation of Enyo with additional maintenance releases as necessary. However, as an open source project, we welcome fixes from the community on your platform of choice. I'd love to see passionate developers continue to make Enyo work on as broad of a platform set as possible -- provided it doesn't impede our ability to deliver the highest possible quality product for our primary platforms.

I hope that answers your questions but please let me know if I can clarify further!
    Enyo 2.7 (reduced) platform support - Enyo
    The response Ryan posted on enyojs is correct. In order to speed up processing and maintain active development, we wanted to clarify our 'top tier' supported OSes.

This is not to mean other OSes will suddenly not work. In fact, I've run EnyoJS 2.7 code on the HP webOS tablet and on FirefoxOS flawlessly. The new supported-OS table is just to indicate where full support is expected and that future features may not be designed/fully compatible for older systems due to jsjsjs $API$ $changes$.

For LuneOS device, it now includes device platform detection like other OSes.
    Code:
    var platform = require('enyo/platform');
    // platform.webos = 4
    // platform.luneos = 1
    On a personal note, all of my miscellaneous Enyo components have been updated for 2.7 at https://github.com/JayCanuck/enyo-ext

And for LuneOS developer, an updated and reorganized 2.7-compatible LuneOS library is available at https://github.com/JayCanuck/enyo-luneos as a proper extension of the enyo-webos library

And if you're using enyo-dev, I've made a few neat templates for it to make native desktop apps with cross-platform deployment using Enyo:
    https://github.com/JayCanuck/enyo-strawman-nwjs
    https://github.com/JayCanuck/enyo-electron-templates
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 04/22/2016 at 06:16 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    bbito, Preemptive and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    And for LuneOS developer, an updated and reorganized 2.7-compatible LuneOS library is available at https://github.com/JayCanuck/enyo-luneos as a proper extension of the enyo-webos library

And if you're using enyo-dev, I've made a few neat templates for it to make native desktop apps with cross-platform deployment using Enyo:
    https://github.com/JayCanuck/enyo-strawman-nwjs
    https://github.com/JayCanuck/enyo-electron-templates
    @Jason Robitaille or anyone who may know, I am coming up short trying to find documentation on how to make/modify an enyo-dev template. I have read the https://github.com/enyojs/enyo-dev#t...enyo-templates section of the enyo-dev Readme.md, but I don't quite get it... I have a ~/.enyo/templates folder, but it is empty even though enyo templates list gives me:
    Code:
        default-app        system    app
        default-library    system    library
        moonstone-app      system    app
        onyx-app           system    app
    So I can't figure out how to look at the existing templates...
    This is on Win7, so my .enyo folder is at C:Users/username/.enyo/
    I'd like to see if I can make a legacy webOS template - maybe it's possible to make a appinfo.json automagically(?)
    Anyhoo, any additional info about the template system would be appreciated!
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    ...Anyhoo, any additional info about the template system would be appreciated!
    I cross-posted over to the Enyo forum where Jason responded: 2.7 Templates - Enyo. For those interested, the 'stock' templates can be reviewed at: https://github.com/enyojs/enyo-dev/t...ault-templates
  13.    #13  
    I'm posting this update here. Enyo next-gen has been released to private beta.
    Discussion of Next Gen Topics - Page 2 — Enyo
    I want to publish an article on this on pivotCE, but... I know nothing beyond that it will be based on React and will NOT be called Enyo - you can read that much on the above link.

Depending on how this plays out and how much of the old "Enyo ways" are carried into the new product, this could be the prime candidate framework for creating LuneOS apps (currently it seems there is limited support for screens smaller than TV, but it is planned).

Is anyone here participating in the beta test? Could anyone write something up for us? I realise there may be NDA conditions attached to participation.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/11/2017 at 04:31 AM.
    gazaud likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Published: Enyo Next-Gen enters private beta testing | pivotCE.

Do any developers want to tell us what they think?

(I'll start a new thread upon official release)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/14/2017 at 01:27 PM.
    I don't know if anyone can answer this question, but if you want to target only webOS devices greater than 1.4.5 what version of enyo would be best to use?
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Code:
    var __pbpa = true;

This is a problem with all tumblr sites on webOS these days... The EnyoJS blog is hosted by Tumblr.

EDIT: Add quote
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I don't know if anyone can answer this question, but if you want to target only webOS devices greater than 1.4.5 what version of enyo would be best to use?
    If I'm right, Enyo 1 runs on phones & TP, Enyo 2 on TP only.
    See below. bbito knows more on this than me.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/27/2017 at 07:34 PM.
    The last version prior to whatever 'next-gen' will be is 2.7 and that works on 2.x (phones) and 3.x (TP) - I haven't tried on 1.x, but imagine it would work...
    [EDIT 5/27/17: 1:30PDT] I dug up a Pre- with modem running 1.4.5 and a couple little 2.7 test apps seem to run okay albeit with a little rendering weirdness...
    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by bbito; 05/27/2017 at 03:34 PM.
    MAMISHO and frantid like this.