Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By jonwise80
  • 1 Post By jonwise80
  • 1 Post By jonwise80
  1.    #1  
    I've never been a huge fan of GuttenPodder. I mean, I like what Walter was trying to do, and I appreciate him doing it, but the command button layout, the icon, and the lack of TouchPad UI conventions frustrated me. drPodder is almost perfect on my Veer, but some of the features in GuttenPodder are nice. I've had in the back of my mind to do something about it for awhile, so today I give you...

drpodder-icon.png
    drPodder Redux!

This Redux combines the best of GuttenPodder with the original artwork from drPodder and begins integrating some webOS Archive services. To start with, it now supports the Updater Service -- which is good, because I have more work to do. All the Directories that both historical apps supported are gone or no longer accessible, but we've had a working Podcast Directory on webOS Archive for awhile. I plan to integrate it properly.
    Other refinements have been started, including better TouchPad UI adherence, and the return of gesture-only navigation on phones. Dead services and links have been scraped out, and will be replaced with working links. Dead default Podcasts have been removed, and new ones will come from webOS Share Space user recommendations instead.

I even plan to restore some Palm/webOS-specific podcasts and host them on webOS Archive.

Podcasting may be the last modern use-case once the 3G shutdown hits -- my kids use their "tiny phones" for podcasts in bed every night, but Palm phones can get tucked away in car arm rests, lawn mower cup holders, and slipped into suitcases for mobile entertainment. drPodder Redux aims to keep podcasting alive on our little devices for as long as possible! Grab it in the App Museum!
    Last edited by jonwise80; 10/31/2021 at 12:12 PM.
    Check out the webOS Archive for preservation and development projects: webosarchive.com | Follow the Archive on Twitter | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    MudShark22, gazaud and nomad84 like this.
  2.    #2  
    1.1.0 is out. The wOSA Podcast Directory is now properly integrated, and defaults to Tiny Feeds* while the dead directories have been removed.

* What's a Tiny Feed?
    A tiny feed is one that is pre-processed by a web service that acts as a HTTP proxy for devices that can't negotiate modern HTTPS. But more than just proxying, the web service reduces the number of podcasts in a feed so that parsing the XML doesn't overwhelm tiny and old devices, like the original Pre. If you've ever found that drPodder slows down once you add a bunch of feeds, this is why, and that problem is solved by the wOSA Podcast Directory.

Update: just for kicks, I registered drpodder.com so old clients who hit any links might just find something useful again!
    Last edited by jonwise80; 11/04/2021 at 04:07 PM.
    Check out the webOS Archive for preservation and development projects: webosarchive.com | Follow the Archive on Twitter | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    MudShark22 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    1.2.0 is out -- with a special treat for drPodder users!

This version fixes some (hopefully all) inconsistencies with the back button/gesture, and adds something really retrotastic...

PalmCast.jpg
    With Nomad84's help, I've restored almost all of the most recent 100 episodes of PalmCast! A few important ones (like 144 about the launch of the TouchPad) are missing, so if you have a source, please let me know. I've scoured the Wayback Machine and YouTube to restore a good chunk of the original feed, and its presented in all its nostalgic glory for drPooder users.

To get it, all you have to do is install the latest drPodder Redux from App Museum II on your device, or from the web, then use the + button at the bottom to "Add Default Feeds"

I'll eventually get the feed into the Podcast Directory as well, for users of other podcast apps.
  4.    #4  
    1.3.0 Released - Directory Improvements + Touch2Share

The restored podcast directory has been improved, with a progress spinner during loading, and a detail scene for a selected podcast. While on the detail scene you can also do Touch2Share, to launch a web search on another device. I hope to improve the Touch2Share capabilities in future updates.

Don't forget to check out the restored PalmCast -- its a really fun blast from the past!
  5.    #5  
    1.3.5 Released - Sharing Everywhere!

You can now share from more places, including Touch2Share, Share Service integration for Recommendations, and better share targets.
    nomad84 likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Update: If you listen to Podcasts, but not on a webOS device, the restored PalmCast is available for you to add to your modern Podcasting app here:

PalmCast.jpg
    webOS Podcast Directory - Podcast Detail