Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
  1.    #1  
    icon.png webOS One Night Stand Released!

What is It?
    • An elegant, customizable clock
    • The first-ever Hue controller for webOS
    • The one and only app you'll need for your night stand

One Night Stand is a perfect use case for an old Pre phone -- but it works with any webOS device -- and its the One and only app you'll need running on your Night Stand. There's no need to put a Google Home or Amazon Alexa in your room, listening to you sleep, when a webOS device will do the trick.

This Mojo App has 3 main scenes:

Clock Scene
    The Clock Scene is persistent (keeps the device awake), landscape oriented (left oriented on Pre for best alignment with its Touchstone, right oriented on TouchPad for its Touchstone), and minimal. Designed to cast the least amount of light possible into a dark room, the face has no buttons or extra chrome until you tap on it. Once tapped, the command bar appears and let's you configure the settings, or launch the Lamp Scene.

Lamp Scene
    The lamp scene has discrete controls for one or two lamps, and general controls for as many lights as you want. Also using a minimal design, you can quickly turn on/off lamps with a single tap, or bring up a dimmer, for more fine grained control. The All On/Off text widgets control all selected lights at once -- even those that do not have their own icon in the UI.

Settings Scene
    The settings scene lets you control the appearance of the clock face, including color and size, turn on support for 24-hour time, and most importantly, link with a Philips Hue bridge to get a list of lights you want to control.
    The Hue link process is the same as modern apps on other platforms, save that it doesn't support auto-discovery: enter the IP address of your bridge, hit OK, then hit the Link button on your bridge. Your webOS device will complete pairing, and return you to the list, where you can select which lights you want to control.

What are Hue Lights?
    Simply put, they're the best smart lights on the market. No messing around with WiFi pairing each bulb, all Hue lights are automatically connected to a Zigbee mesh network controlled by a central bridge. They come in a variety of sizes, shapes and colors -- One Night Stand even knows if an individual bulb supports color or not, thanks to a re-usable Hue Model Library available to any webOS developer.
    Note: Use of a local bridge is not compatible with a remote proxy.

How To Get It

If you don't have any Hue Lights -- don't worry. It still makes a beautiful bed-side clock for any old webOS device you have kicking around.
    Last edited by jonwise80; 12/04/2020 at 11:27 AM.
    Check out the webOS Archive for preservation and development projects: webosarchive.com | Follow the Archive on Twitter | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    I don't have Hue bulbs so I can't check this out, but let me just congratulate you for coming up with a terrific app name, which everyone knows is the hardest part of modern software development. Smart home controls seem like a great fit for old devices. I feel like this makes a nice template for other smart device apps, so thanks!
  3.    #3  
    My wife and I came up with that name, and I agree -- its perfect!

For those using it, I've released Version 1.0.2 which fixes a layout issue on TouchPad with long Lamp names, and another issue where the command bar wouldn't auto-hide after returning from another scene. I've updated the original post's download link and the App Museum II.
    Last edited by jonwise80; 11/30/2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Check out the webOS Archive for preservation and development projects: webosarchive.com | Follow the Archive on Twitter | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    nomad84, dmlis, gazaud and 1 others like this.
  4.    #4  
    Significant Bug Fix:

Version 1.0.3 resolves an issue where changing the Dim Level causes all preferences (including Hue link) to be purged on next launch. Recommended for all users -- download link updated above, or find it in the Museum.
    Very cool ... I've never owned a Hue light, but I'm gonna buy some just for this ... Thanks.
  6.    #6  
    Bug Fix Release - Version 1.0.4

I noticed an issue with the TouchPad where even though the app says to keep the screen on, webOS will eventually lock it anyway. I guess Exhibition was their model for "always on" apps -- but that's not possible, since this is a Mojo app, so it can run on the original Pre. Fortunately, I found the fix while developing Night Moves and have added it here.

This version also adds my new Updater, so you won't need to look for future update announcements here -- the app will let you know, and give you to the option to install via Preware, right from within the app!

Grab version 1.0.4 on App Museum II!
  7.    #7  
    Bug Fix Release - 1.0.5
    Increases the max size on Touchpad, addresses an issue where midnight was not handled properly in 12-hour mode.
    dmlis likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Release 1.0.6
    • Fix layout on Pre3 (tested via emulator). Feedback welcome.
    • Fixes an issue with preferences that can emerge under certain conditions.

Remaining known issues:
    • If "dim" time and "wake" time are both in the same half of the day (AM and PM) a loop can occur where the screen dims and brightens repeatedly. Need to fix the logic.
    • Timeout-based navigation (return home after inactivity) results in the screen being scrollable, even though its set not to be. Appears to be a Mojo bug, so not sure how to address right now.
    Last edited by jonwise80; 12/29/2020 at 06:59 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Release 1.0.7

Resolves remaining known issues: scrolling bug, dim-dark logic; other improvements to preference management and updater.
    Barring any newly discovered issues, this app is where I want it -- freeing up my spare time to work on something new!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Zyphal View Post
    but I'm gonna buy some just for this
    So, I did it ... bought a Hue starter kit, two lights and a bridge. All indications are that the bridge connects to the lights, and the app connects to the bridge, but then the app spins forever searching for lights. Anything obvious that I'm doing wrong?
    jonwise80 likes this.
    I'm having the same issue.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    jonwise80 likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Sorry I missed this -- the "new posts" feature in this forum seems to be flaky.
    We will 100% get you guys up and running, a couple questions:

• Are you using a remote proxy?
    • Can you connect and control lights from a modern phone (iOS or Android)?
    • Does the first party app on iOS or Android indicate you need a firmware update?

I may have to generate a "debug build" so we can get some error messages out of your bridge, but if you could both answer the above, that would help get started with troubleshooting.

Alternatively, can you follow the instructions here to interact with your bridge via a browser?
    https://developers.meethue.com/develop/get-started-2/
    If you can do that, I can send some instructions to get the debugging information I'd need.
    Last edited by jonwise80; 01/17/2021 at 01:26 PM.
    Fred Zyphal likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwise80 View Post
    Are you using a remote proxy?
    Can you connect and control lights from a modern phone (iOS or Android)?
    Does the first party app on iOS or Android indicate you need a firmware update?
    Hey, thanks for getting back to me (us).

No proxy.
    I am not now, nor have I ever been a minion in the (i)droid army.
    I may need to get my Android emulator working on Linux again.

Yes, I am able to interact with the bridge and the lights via. the instructions on the developers page, and can get any information you need. I was afraid it was something like this, so many companies now assume that you use an (i)droid spy device and/or insist that you become a minion if you want to use their products. I think that should be illegal myself, but who am I? Apparently I need to use their spy app. in order to "set up" my lights on the bridge.

Hopefully I can either get my emulator working, or find the appropriate commands to use via the developers browser input method ... I don't have access to all commands.

Thanks
  14.    #14  
    If you can use the 'clip' tool in your browser of choice, that's all we need to troubleshoot - no need for their apps... I'll post some instructions tomorrow!
    Here's an official API guide I used during development. We're interested in the lights response...

https://www.burgestrand.se/hue-api/

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Last edited by jonwise80; 01/17/2021 at 05:21 PM.
    We're interested in the lights response...
    Thanks ... from the Burgestrand guide you provided, I was able to do and see a lot more, but it still seems to be an incomplete command set, for instance there are controllers and sensors in the Hue system that should be addressable. At this point I can command and control the bridge and lights to my hearts content, change their names, reset everything remotely, etc. etc., but I still can't figure out how to register the lights so that the app. can see them. For what it's worth, I also found a Gnome plugin for my Linux box that's in the same boat, it reports the IP address and name of the bridge but, like the Nightstand, can't see any lights.

I'm sure it's some sort of simple registration process that the official app does automatically, but I can't figure out how it's done manually.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 01/18/2021 at 01:28 PM.
  16.    #16  
    About the only thing you need the first party app for is firmware updates. As far as I remember, there's nothing you need to do to turn on third party access -- its built-in to the Bridge. Or at least it was for the two generations of Bridges that I've had. I'm not ruling out something having changed in the two years or so since I last bought a Bridge. Its more likely that your Bridge was sold with old or "stub" firmware, and is awaiting an update to get full functionality. But I understand the reluctance to run modern spyware-filled devices, so let's check some other theories first...

Theory #1 - "Lights" response structure is different, or contains unexpected content

If you can post here (or send in PM) the Lights payload from your Bridge, I can compare the structure to mine, to see if anything significant is different.
    To get this payload, you can use any browser, and an API key that you generate from the "clip" tool. Just send a GET request (in the URL bar of your browser) to:
    http://BRIDGEIPADDRESS/api/YOURAPIKEY/lights/

As long as you're using a valid API key (sometimes called username in the docs), you'll get back a big blob of JSON, listing your lights and other configuration info. I need this entire JSON payload. A snip of mine is attached.

LightsJSON.PNG
    Last edited by jonwise80; 01/19/2021 at 03:23 PM.
    http://BRIDGEIPADDRESS/api/YOURAPIKEY/lights/
    Hey Jon, here's a copy of the get lights payload from my Hue system. As I mentioned, I have a Gnome plugin on my Linux box that has the same problem as the Nightstand app., it connects to the bridge just fine, but can't find the lights. I'm beginning to think there's something funky about these particular lights. It's all part of a brand new Hue starter kit from Amazon that includes the newer version of the bridge and two lights.

By the way, I'm going to send some money to your PayPal account (it won't be from Fred Zyphal) ... your recent flurry of activity is the best thing that's happened to our little group of rebels in a long time ... thanks.

Hue Lights Get.png
  18.    #18  
    I'm beginning to think there's something funky about these particular lights.
    Obviously I'm not the manufacturer, so I don't know if this is by design, but there is something different about your lights. My (and MrHall17) Lights responses have a "config" section, that you don't seem to have.
    I use that section to determine if bulb is color capable. What I think I'll do is make that section "optional" in the code -- if I can't find it, I'll just assume the light is just standard dimmable (which yours seem to be).

I'll get you a new build to try out, with some more debugging on, to try to catch any other errors -- either with an error message on the phone, or in the palm-log output.

By the way, I'm going to send some money to your PayPal account
    That's very kind, thanks
    MudShark22 likes this.
    A couple of things ...

I'll get you a new build to try out
    ... got it, tried it, sent you a PM with the error message ... thanks.

Also, I signed up for a Philips Hue developers account, it took about a week and half, but I was finally approved and I now have access to all of their stuff ... I might be able to help out a bit here, we'll see.

That's very kind, thanks
    ... I remember seeing your PayPal account in one of your other threads, where you were talking about needing to purchase some software, but I can't find it now ... can you share again?
    MudShark22 likes this.
  20.    #20  
    I remember seeing your PayPal account in one of your other threads
    Here's the snip from the App Museum thread:
    Alternatively, I'm accepting donations toward the purchase of Total Commander, before the Shareware gods smite me

Its a really nice tool for handling massive amounts of files. Donations will get passed on to the developer of that tool, with thanks interjected by this developer :-)
    Last edited by jonwise80; 03/01/2021 at 04:43 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast