Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  1.    #1  
    So, I was a big WebOSer back in the day. Started with Pixi Plus, (had 3 of them), went to Pre Plus, (twice), Pre2, (twice), and Veer, (currently with my 4th one) - Pre3 is too big for me... I loved WebOS, and didn't need anything else... Until the death. I drifted away into Android, and other alternative OSes, currently using a Sony Xperia phone with SailfishOS. Anyway, I recently broke out a Veer and started messing around after hardly even being aware of anything WebOs for the last 2 years or more. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised to see the continuing efforts of Pre-emptive, Alan, and others. Thank you. So, I still had some of my old files, (224 doctor, etc.), and easily found Quick Install and Preware files, so back up and running. Now, wondering:

- I've done much doctoring and meta-doctoring, so familiar with that process, and recovery mode, etc., but is it possible to access file system, (either file manager or terminal), when phone is not booting, (say after installing or modifying something that causes a bootloop), to undo the modifications and reboot, without going through the whole doctor-wipe process? Like in Android recovery, if you mess with something that breaks the OS, you can go in, undo it, and reboot no problem, (to a certain degree, of course).

- There are a few apps that load and work fine on the Veer, but never had a Veer-size release, so they don't display quite right on the smaller screen. I have messed around with certain files, (I can't remember if they're css or json, etc.), within the app folders, that contain layout/design information, and rebooted, and gotten some results with certain apps, but some apps don't have such simple files to modify. Like Scrabble, by EA. There's not really any files in there that you can easily modify, but there's something called an 'rlib' file, which is a couple of megabytes, which, I guess, contains that info, (or maybe not?). So I wonder if there's a way, post-build, to modify the screen-size parameters of apps, (can that rlib file be unzipped and modified, or can we decompile/recompile ipks, or...?)...

- Is there still any way to build or develop apps? (obviously there is, based on some relatively recent posts I've seen, but I'm not a real developer by any stretch, so I wouldn't be able to figure out the whole thing from scratch, but if there was some sdk or build environment I could set up, and a general guide, I may be able to figure out some of my issues. )

- Is there a list of all available Preware feeds?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by 1whocs; 01/18/2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: addendum
    I don't know about the first bit - maybe novacom can do this...?

Quote Originally Posted by 1whocs View Post
    - There are a few apps that load and work fine on the Veer, but never had a Veer-size release, so they don't display quite right on the smaller screen. I have messed around with certain files, (I can't remember if they're css or json, etc.), within the app folders, that contain layout/design information, and rebooted, and gotten some results with certain apps, but some apps don't have such simple files to modify. Like Scrabble, by EA. There's not really any files in there that you can easily modify, but there's something called an 'rlib' file, which is a couple of megabytes, which, I guess, contains that info, (or maybe not?). So I wonder if there's a way, post-build, to modify the screen-size parameters of apps, (can that rlib file be unzipped and modified, or can we decompile/recompile ipks, or...?)...
    There is a viewport fix to scale apps up to Pre3 size. I'll see if I can find the link (EDIT: webOS User's Online Meet up - webOS Nation Forums ). It came up recently in a discussion about making full-size mojo apps for the TP (possible but graphics need upscaling and back buttons are needed). Whether or not there is a setting for the Veer, I don't know and I guess if an app hasn't been designed with the Veer in mind, it might not be the whole solution...

- Is there still any way to build or develop apps? (obviously there is, based on some relatively recent posts I've seen, but I'm not a real developer by any stretch, so I wouldn't be able to figure out the whole thing from scratch, but if there was some sdk or build environment I could set up, and a general guide, I may be able to figure out some of my issues. )
    I recently became worried that the original Palm SDK files were finally gone, but it seems not. (updated) The links on this page work: Looks like you can't get the SDK anymore (almost) - webOS Nation Forums BUT you need to have the HOSTS file fix to redirect to the original IP address. There is a recently developed Qt5 add on for the SDK here:
    Qt5 webOS SDK - webOS Nation Forums

- Is there a list of all available Preware feeds?.
    As you can add custom feeds, I don't think there's a definitive list of every feed, but you mostly just need the main ones and there is a listing at webOS & LuneOS Apps on Preware Catalog
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/19/2019 at 10:41 AM.
    1whocs likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I'll check out the viewport fix. The host file edit that was posted for doctor downloads worked for me last week, so I'll take a look at that too. Would I be able to use the sdk to decompile, edit and rebuild, or do I need app source files? Do you know of any source file archives? As for Preware feeds - what made me wonder was a couple of posts I read where someone posted a link to their own custom feed, (like in the qt browser thread, and I think in the Gmaps thread). I was glad to stumble upon those, but just wondered if there might be some listing of custom dev feeds somewhere... Your link answered that.

Thanks again.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I recently became worried that the original Palm SDK files were finally gone, but it seems not. The links on this page work: Looks like you can't get the SDK anymore (almost) - webOS Nation Forums BUT you need to have the HOSTS file fix to redirect to the original IP address and on my PC, I find that http works, not https (maybe I just need to add the latter version to the HOSTS file?) so remove the 's'. There is a recently developed Qt5 add on for the SDK here:
    Qt5 webOS SDK - webOS Nation Forums
    So I was able to get past the 404 by editing hosts with "23.4.17.24 cdn.downloads.palm.com", but then I hit "...Access denied", (screenshot). Am I missing something else?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So I was able to get past the 404 by editing hosts with "23.4.17.24 cdn.downloads.palm.com", but then I hit "...Access denied", (screenshot). Am I missing something else?
    The URL in the screenshot looks all wrong. The right one for Windows 64-bit 3.0.5 SDK/PDK (268MB) is:
    http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdow....5-676-x64.exe

All of the corrected links are in this post: https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...ml#post3443899
    1whocs likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    The URL in the screenshot looks all wrong. The right one for Windows 64-bit 3.0.5 SDK/PDK (268MB) is:
    http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdow....5-676-x64.exe

All of the corrected links are in this post: https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...ml#post3443899
    Funny - your direct link worked to direct to the download, as did the link in the specific post that you linked, (which is a quote of the first post), but the first post in that same thread, (which I went to from Preemptive's reply), goes to a different address. Downloading now. Oh, I see...
    It's because of the "https" vs. "http" issue that he mentioned... Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1whocs; 01/18/2019 at 05:06 PM.
    the first post in that same thread, (which I went to from Preemptive's reply), goes to a different address.
    Indeed, as I mentioned in that 2015 post:
    If Aressel or a moderator wants to 'fix' the original post like this that might save some folks some grief.
    Or if that is too much work a highlighted link to https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...ml#post3443899 would be nice, but I have no ability to alter post #1
    1whocs likes this.
    I edited my answer to point to bbito's correction post. I think a wiki page of all the files on the old cdn might be the best way to go.
    1whocs likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Indeed, as I mentioned in that 2015 post:

Or if that is too much work a highlighted link to https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...ml#post3443899 would be nice, but I have no ability to alter post #1
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I edited my answer to point to bbito's correction post. I think a wiki page of all the files on the old cdn might be the best way to go.
    Sad to say, this is not the first or second time I've missed something like this due to hastiness - I could have been more thorough in reading. Hopefully I'll get it one of these days... Thanks
    Sad to say, this is not the first or second time I've missed something like this due to hastiness - I could have been more thorough in reading. Hopefully I'll get it one of these days... Thanks
    It happens! Especially with big projects/communities like webOS or Android. It is very easy to miss certain things that others then later reference. I have definitely wasted hours to it. I know there are some tasks to get documentation updated. I know there is a huge wiki page on webos-internals.org with links, and I think it is out of date. That might be a good place to start.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    1whocs likes this.