Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By George Mari
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By George Mari
  1.    #1  
    This is a fork of the Google Maps app created by 72ka.

Google has recently changed their API for Google Maps to require that you access it with an API key. Without the API key, you see a dark map with 'Developer mode' on it.

So I modified the original app to allow you to enter and use your own Google API key that you sign up for separately at https://console.cloud.google.com

Getting an API key is free, but using it is not free anymore like it used to be. Well, sort of.

1. Google makes you provide a credit card when you create your account, so they can charge you for use of their Maps API.
    2. Most of the different API calls are a few cents each or less, but there are different rates depending on which one is called.
    3. As of now (October 2018) Google provides you a $200 per month credit towards use of the Maps API. This is probably enough for most personal use.

Once you have your API key, go into the Preferences of Mojo Maps for Google, and enter it there. You'll have to re-start the app in order for the new key to take effect.

I know it's not as convenient as the old app, but it's better than nothing.

Source code is available at https://github.com/GeorgeMari/mojo-maps-for-google

To get the app, use the following custom Preware feed: http://www.georgemari.com/preware/
  2.    #2  
    Ouch - it looks like Google is locking down the API even more.

If you look at the logs in the LumberJack app, there is an error saying,

"The Google Maps JavaScript API does not support this browser."

There is now a page that defines exactly which browsers are supproted: https://developers.google.com/maps/d...browsersupport

I'm afraid this might be the end of Google Maps on webOS.

I can try to spoof the user agent string, but I don't know if I can do that for one app, instead of all of webOS.
    I have a modified user agent string (using one of the scripts that modifies the WebKit library) and it seems to be working fine. So, that might work.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    jonwise80 likes this.
  4.    #4  
    I have a modified user agent string (using one of the scripts that modifies the WebKit library) and it seems to be working fine. So, that might work.
    Thanks for that info, DKirker! I've been busy working on Macaw 2018, so haven't had a chance to try to come up with a solution to this.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    jasondoes likes this.
  5.    #5  
    DKirker, maybe I mis-understood what you said - did you mean that you tested Mojo Maps with your modified user agent?

Also, can you provide more details about how you changed the user agent string? I found this page at webos-internals.org, but it doesn't sound like this is what you did?

WebKit UserAgent Override - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    DKirker, maybe I mis-understood what you said - did you mean that you tested Mojo Maps with your modified user agent?

Also, can you provide more details about how you changed the user agent string? I found this page at webos-internals.org, but it doesn't sound like this is what you did?

WebKit UserAgent Override - WebOS Internals
    At one point I was doing what was on that one page. But I wanted to remove the mention of "webOS", since that seems to trigger warnings and broken sites with some services.

There is a script somewhere on here ("change-user-agent-webOS2.2.4.sh" I believe, it is known as User Agent Spoofer for webOS devices (universal) and it is by Carl E. Thompson (devel-webos [at] carlthompson.net)) that does a modification of the WebKit library binary. I replaced the user agent with: "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; wOS/%s; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 Version/7.0 Safari/9537.53 %.3s/534.6 Mobile/%s%s"
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.