Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    Is it just my Veer, or does anyone else get a strange "development purposes only" display in the Google Maps app?

I can't capture the screen image of it - sorry...

It was working fine yesterday. I've re-booted since.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I haven't had time to look at this, but two possibilities come to mind: the specific API version he is using is nearing end of support, or the API key he is using needs to be updated.
    I opened the apps on TP & Pre3 and fiddled with various views and options. Aside from the existing problem of the broken internet location service, I saw no problems or error messages, so hopefully it was just a glitch.
    works normally here ( but managed to freeze streetview )
    I got the "development purposes only" overlay, too. I recently had issues with Dash Weather using the Google Geocode API (the free version). I ended up signing up for a Google Cloud account and getting an API key for the Geocode API. I might have to for the Maps, too... :/ (And then in a year will be paying for it.)
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    And now it seems to be all ok...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    Is it just my Veer, or does anyone else get a strange "development purposes only" display in the Google Maps app?

I can't capture the screen image of it - sorry...

It was working fine yesterday. I've re-booted since.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Saw it once today on Pre3. Later I opened the app on both that and the TP to get a screen shot, but both were fine... Well street view is no good now.
    Yeah, it's been happening intermittently on my Pre 3.
    Hi,

I got a letter from Google Maps on May 2018 announcing changes in the API with the flag "action required". There were several links in this letter explaining that if you don't use maps with a API-Key and accept the new pricing plan (e.g. credit card required), you might see maps in lower resolution or with a watermark "development purposes only". Here is the announcement with the relevant links:
    https://mapsplatform.googleblog.com/...-platform.html
    Last edited by Nafetz; 09/25/2018 at 05:05 AM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    Hi,

I got a letter from Google Maps on May 2018 announcing changes in the API with the flag "action required". There were several links in this letter explaining that if you don't use maps with a API-Key and accept the new pricing plan (e.g. credit card required), you might see maps in lower resolution or with a watermark "development purposes only". Here is the announcement with the relevant links:
    https://mapsplatform.googleblog.com/...-platform.html
    I had a similar thing happen to me with Dash Weather+'s use of the Google geocode API. I ended up having to sign up for an API key. (The first year is free.)
    Did you know:

From https://cloud.google.com/maps-platfo...lling-changes:

Maps JavaScript API

In June 2016, we announced an update to our client-side requests policy. Starting in September 2018, all client-side requests that were part of the June 2016 announcement will be billed according to our new pricing plan that launched on July 16, 2018. We understand this is a change, and if you have one of these projects, we'll be contacting you in the coming weeks to help with this transition.
    Did you know:

I'm not hopeful about this... I suppose we could check the cost of the license and raise some cash, but it looks like monthly charges. The plus side is that all the webOS users will likely be in the minimum tier...

Just tried maps (bing) on the tablet and it's not working, but wasn't there a patch or something recently?
    EDIT: Found it. Misj' made a patch last year. Bing Maps Patched For webOS | pivotCE

Finally, as some of the comments on the announcement say, other services are available, but that will likely need significant coding, maybe a whole new app!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/30/2018 at 09:21 AM.
    FWIW, though I am not sure if it still uses Google APIs for POI lookup, there is an option to use OpenStreetMaps in 72ka's app. Tap the "Layers" icon, tap "More", then tap "OSM map".
    Did you know:

Preemptive and gazaud like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    FWIW, though I am not sure if it still uses Google APIs for POI lookup, there is an option to use OpenStreetMaps in 72ka's app. Tap the "Layers" icon, tap "More", then tap "OSM map".
    You are correct! Nice!

I think 72ka also made a 'Here' maps app, but I don't remember the state of it or indeed what happened to Here maps. Got the feeling Nokia sold it, but I think I have the app somewhere and will check.
    I forgot about that! Just fired it up, and it loads to a blank screen. I know it was a web view with a web page. That web page seems to have changed.

And yes, Nokia sold it. Actually, to three auto makers in Europe! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)
    Did you know:

Preemptive likes this.
    I had forgotten about that as well (the OSM thing), so I just tried it, and before I got to that part, the regular Google map tiles were working just fine, after showing the "development use" tiles for the past several days. Anyway, I went ahead and tried the OSM option and it also worked just fine. I'll try again in the next few days, and report back, since it has been very intermittent on my Pre 3.

... and the following day it's back to the dev. use tiles. OSM option still looks good ... lol, later this same day it has normal tiles again.
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 09/30/2018 at 09:02 PM.
  17.    #17  
    I had some time today to look at the source code. I decided to sign up for a Google API key, and just see if adding it into the source code would make everything work again.

Sure enough, adding the API key to 1 line in the index.html file got it working perfectly again, at least on the emulator.

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 3.25.45 PM.png

I'll load this hacked version with the valid API key onto my Veer, and check my Google console to see how many map API calls it thinks are being made. Maybe from that, we can figure out if it makes sense to

1. Have a new version with a "community" API key (great!)
    2. ...or maybe a version where each user would have to create and enter their own API key. (not so great, but better than nothing?)

Also, now that Google Maps requires an API key, anyone have any ideas on how to encrypt it, or keep it safe from being abused? I know there are restrictions available via the Google Console, but none of them seem to be very helpful for webOS.
    Preemptive and gazaud like this.
    My only experience is with web and server apps and their related API key restrictions.. I haven't read anything about phone app restrictions.
    There *might* be a way to distribute it. It would be the same method that Palm used with their various API keys. I forget the exact system it used so I'd have to refresh my memory, but I did come across it recently when I was poking around.
    Did you know:

It's the keymanager

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast