Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes
    I've thought about upgrading the main browser (and am still exploring it). However, there is one major downside (especially for Pre3 users), and that is memory. Without upgrading the WebKit that LunaSysMgr uses you run in to the same issue with things being slow with running a separate browser app because two (different) versions of WebKit exist in memory at the same time.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffensammet View Post
    What needs to be done is a different font in the url-bar
    The font rendering is (obviously) a known issue. As I understand it, this has already been fixed, but not yet released as other fixes are in progress.

If you would like to get involved, use the link in my signature for the webOS user group. You can read the log of the meeting on Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I've thought about upgrading the main browser (and am still exploring it). However, there is one major downside (especially for Pre3 users), and that is memory. Without upgrading the WebKit that LunaSysMgr uses you run in to the same issue with things being slow with running a separate browser app because two (different) versions of WebKit exist in memory at the same time.
    Yes. I suppose with a system that's actually called 'webOS' the webkit is a major component and as you write, running two versions may not be practical. Perhaps a new thread to discuss this is needed. But it could be that Qt may have advantages beyond the browsers and refining those browsers is the simplest solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    But it could be that Qt may have advantages beyond the browsers and refining those browsers is the simplest solution.
    At the same time , instead, having a newer webkit would allow to get back the captive portal functionality, probably.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    At the same time , instead, having a newer webkit would allow to get back the captive portal functionality, probably.
    Start a new thread on it!
    Unfortunately they forked webkit for webOS use, and it would probably be a monumental effort to make their changes work in the later webkit versions. Some might not even be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    OK, I made the thread: https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...acy-webos.html

I listed some questions, then quoted some of the above to get it up to speed. I'm happy to change the questions if there are better ones to ask, but I'll leave it to the technical experts to continue the discussion.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123