Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jonwise80
  1.    #1  
    I can't find a podcast app that really works. I have Sticher, Dr. Podder and Guttenpodder.

I wanted to listen to history of english podcast starting from the first episode. Dr. Podder and Gettenpodder have all the episodes, but won't even play the files, some kinda error all the time.

Sticher can play the files but only gives me the latest episode, I don't know how to load the previous ones...the webOS browser plays dead when I try to play from the website. I ended up having to break out my tablet and fire up free tether to do it.

Any suggestions?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Using Guttenpodder I was able to find "The History of Englisch Podcast" using the 'Digital Podcast' directory, add and play it.
    This was the second result, the first one, "History of Englisch Podcast" would not yield any episodes.
    BTW, you can edit the feed URL by tapping on the square box on the right that shows the number of episodes for each feed.
    Pre 3, webOS 2.2.4 on O2 Germany, TP 32 GB
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by uwer View Post
    Using Guttenpodder I was able to find "The History of Englisch Podcast" using the 'Digital Podcast' directory, add and play it.
    This was the second result, the first one, "History of Englisch Podcast" would not yield any episodes.
    BTW, you can edit the feed URL by tapping on the square box on the right that shows the number of episodes for each feed.
    Thanks, but still not working for me. Maybe its because I have webos 2.1.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Thanks, but still not working for me. Maybe its because I have webos 2.1.
    For me Guttenpodder seems to be the best. I have found that many episodes won't stream but they will play after downloading.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3 > Galaxy S7 edge
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by namgod View Post
    For me Guttenpodder seems to be the best. I have found that many episodes won't stream but they will play after downloading.
    Yeah, Streaming what I want. Didn't used to work on vergecast either, havent tried in a while tho
  6.    #6  
    I recalled I have ipk for podsnatcher. Does not work either, so far as I can tell there is not any podcast app that works well

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm resurrecting this zombie thread to weigh in on Podcast listening (and watching) in 2021...

For apps, I recommend Video PodCatcher Deluxe -- available in App Museum II. Its lean compared to Dr/Gutten Podder, and more responsive.

No matter what you prefer, though, a working Directory to browse and search for Podcasts remains a problem. So I've started work on a new option, which I'll eventually hack into the existing Podcast apps:
    http://podcasts.webosarchive.com/

For no rational reason, lots of podcasts now are using HTTPS -- why a publicly posted Podcast needs to be delivered over an encrypted channel is beyond me. That behavior rules out any device that can't use a proxy (including my Veer and Pre). My thought is that instead of providing raw links, this service can work a bit like MeTube -- it can give you back a link that it will tell it to fetch on behalf of the old device, serving up both the podcast feed, and the actual podcast media, as needed.
    Last edited by jonwise80; 01/01/2021 at 09:41 PM.
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    OK, it works -- tiny devices without modern SSL can listen to (a few) podcasts again!

I'll eventually build some kind of on-device App experience, but you can use it now:
    1. In your tiny device's browser, visit podcasts.webosarchive.com
    2. Find the podcast you want to listen to and tap the "Tiny Feed"
    3. A new browser card will open with a blob of text in it -- ignore it, and find the URL bar at the top of the screen.
    4. Copy the URL to your clipboard
    5. Open your favorite podcast app (eg: GuttenPodder) and Add a new podcast by URL
    6. Paste in the URL you copied in your browser

The service will fetch SSL content on behalf of the tiny device -- up to 5 episodes per podcast. There will be a delay while the server processes the MP3 for you, but in all my tests with *normal* sized audio podcasts, it gets done in time for the app to start playing. Be aware: streaming likely won't work (although you're welcome to try!) Usually, you'll have to download the episode onto the device then play it.
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    Preemptive likes this.
    The retro-podcast service has been updated to follow redirects -- which is a common trick that caused problems.
    I also forcibly remove stylesheets, which break XML parsing on older devices.
    You can now also modify the default "tiny" URL to include a higher (or lower) max number of episodes by adding &max=# to the end of the URL (where # is the number you want.)
    (Keeping the list short keeps Dr Podder/Guttenpodder from slowing down)

There's basically no audio podcast we can't listen to on webOS now. And every WiFi capable device, including original Pre and Pixi Plus, can use it.

I'm debating whether or not to build a stand alone app, or to hack it into the popular Podcast apps. For now, the webpage renders fine on all devices -- even my little Veer.

PS: You can self-host it if you prefer -- its all open-source here:
    https://github.com/codepoet80/retro-podcasts
    Last edited by jonwise80; 01/11/2021 at 10:26 PM.