Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    There’s a new Palm phone. It’s due to be released next month.

Now, if you are a long time Palm enthusiast (and reader of this blog) you will no doubt be telling your heart not to beat too quickly because to put it mildly, things have not worked out well in the past.

We already knew that TCL / Alcatel had bought the brand (only). The possibility of a new phone running webOS was dismissed. The speculation on the webOS Nation forum was that we would be seeing a standard Android slab with the Palm logo stuck on, though no one could figure out quite how that would be a success.

Read the rest of the article on pivotCE...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/16/2018 at 05:40 AM.
    Pues me emocioné, mucha alegría saber de un nuevo palm, tristemente trae Android. Sin embargo saber que seguimos adelante con la esperanza que alguien le porte Webos
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    Pues me emocioné, mucha alegría saber de un nuevo palm, tristemente trae Android. Sin embargo saber que seguimos adelante con la esperanza que alguien le porte Webos
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    Well I was thrilled, very happy to know of a new palm, sadly brings Android. However knowing that we are going ahead with the hope that someone carries Webos
    There are more opportunities for that now than there have been since HP pulled the plug.

LuneOS, webOS OSE.
    joshua764 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    There are more opportunities for that now than there have been since HP pulled the plug.

LuneOS, webOS OSE.
    Thanks for the translation into English. Let's be optimistic, I'm going to buy that palm just to have it back in my hands

Enviado desde mi XT1635-02 mediante Tapatalk
    dkirker likes this.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Keep in mind. It's not a stand-alone regular phone. It works like an Android smartwatch. You have to already have an active phone for it to work........all for $350.
    Global Posts
    992 Global Posts
    Too pricey for a “weekend” phone. Why not just slip the sim card into an actual Pre2 or pixi for the weekend? It’d amount to the same at 10% of the cost, or less.
    Wait, so it doesn't even have stuff like its own SIM card? That sounds like a turn off and definitely a road block for any sort of potential LuneOS development. Speaking of which, has it really been a year since the last Stable release?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post
    Wait, so it doesn't even have stuff like its own SIM card? That sounds like a turn off and definitely a road block for any sort of potential LuneOS development. Speaking of which, has it really been a year since the last Stable release?
    Ehm yes it has, there were lots of things work in progress. This has now been finalized and we plan to put out a new stable release shortly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post
    Wait, so it doesn't even have stuff like its own SIM card? That sounds like a turn off and definitely a road block for any sort of potential LuneOS development.
    It does have it's own SIM, but is tied by Verizon to the same telephone number. The concept is that it can function as a phone, but is unsuited by it's specs (screen & battery size, chip) for intensive use. It syncs with your messaging services (I guess remotely to your main phone) so you can check them occasionally without being distracted by frequent alerts.

It's not clear, but I assume it could be used as a normal phone if it was possible to buy it separately and install stock Android (or maybe LuneOS). But if you want that, you maybe just get a 'normal' phone. Or for a similar use case, you could get something like the smaller Sonys and restrict alerts / toggle aeroplane mode.

Though it didn't exactly 'sync' devices, the webOS Palm profile did allow a couple of devices to share messaging & PIM accounts with ease and there was touch to share. These services might have developed into a more direct synchronisation, so it's possible that LuneOS developers could look at similar options if they wanted.

The comments I've seen on Twitter seem to indicate that people would be interested in the new device, but the price is too high. The Verizon limitations are also a possible blocker, so New Palm might want to consider dropping the price and offering an unlocked, stand alone version (if Verizon will allow that).
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/16/2018 at 05:18 AM.
    Here's a link to The Verge's Dieter Bohn on it again:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/15/...-spent-verizon

I think I prefer the super cuteness of the Veer?

(But I also wonder what old unreleased Palm originals Dieter still has lurking in his bottom drawer!)

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/16/2018 at 05:32 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    hello good day, could someone give me the Luna OS link to install it on touchpad? very gentle.
  12.    #12  
    Index of /releases/decaf/images/tenderloin/
    But if a release is due soon, you might want to wait...
    Es interesante, pero muy poco para mí.... :/ (I need to converse more in Spanish so I don't forget it all. :P)

Anyway... I am intrigued. I like the mission statement, "We’re bringing people out of their tech and into their lives." My hope is that "Palm" is more than just a device. It'd be nice to see it as a full brand like before. I feel like a "weekend phone" might not really be a great option (though, this might be a perfect device as an augment to my Pre3 for using Android, which I use a Nexus 5 for right now ;P ). But I definitely like the idea of decoupling people more from their phones. I felt like when I was first using a Treo and it was really only one of a few options it was easy to see it and other smartphones at the time as just life accessories. Since the iPhone though it seems every one has basically gone to living in their phones... I still want a phone that is powerful enough that I can use it, basically as a "primary computer", but I want it not so engaging. (And I definitely want its "smarts" to be local and very privacy conscious -- not something that would get uploaded to Google or Facebook or Amazon.)
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    MudShark22 likes this.
  14.    #14  
    It seems Essential is in trouble. Their plan for a new device seems to resemble Palm, who are mentioned In the comments.
    Essential circles the drain, lays off 30 percent of staff | Ars Technica
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/18/2018 at 09:11 PM.
    I'm pretty disappointed by this device. I hope it does well but it's nothing like I wanted in a new Palm device. I guess what I wanted was a vertical slider akin to a Palm Pre 4 (or 10) keeping the pebblestone feel, removable battery, unlocked bootloader, wireless charging, and mirror on back. Not realistic but I'm sure that's what most of us wanted.

Worried about Essential as well since the PH-1 is honestly one of the best phones I've ever used and am hoping for a real sequel. Shame the launch was a failure.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Yes the Veer & Yotaphone
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  17.    #18  
    I was thinking...

Kyocera once made PalmOS devices
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/23/2018 at 12:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    346 Global Posts
    Available in Germany as well:

Vodafone bringt Mini-Handy von Palm nach Deutschland | heise online

https://heise.de/-4204878
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast