Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mazzinia
  1.    #1  
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...on-tcl-android

Probably just another Chinese Android phone... any thoughts?
    HP Veer - Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Sony Xperia Z1 Compact - Lenovo ZUK Z2

WebOS developers are awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nonononoki
    It doesn't necessarily have to be just another Chinese Android. TCL showed there are still a few (850,000 so far) users out there wanting a BlackBerry with a physical keyboard. Even they were astonished their "stunt" was a smashing success - in their estimation. I could see a similar portrait keyboard device with some semblance of Treo design language and stylus support for the added homage. Call it the KEYone meets the Note 9 and have a baby.
    Personally I would prefer an improved Pre3 design as overall form factor.
    In any case lets hope whatever it will be, that will not be locked down... it would be a fitting target for lune.
    Grabber5.0 and bbito like this.
    I'm not excited about this, because I suspect it will be under-spec'd and just underwhelming.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    1) Verizon? Will this be a CDMA device? Boo. Unlockable at least? Or as a world phone with world GSM capability?
    2) Physical keyboard? Please? Make it look like a Palm Pre3 successor, and I will seriously consider getting one, even if I have AT&T.
    3) Android? I would rather have a Palm feature phone than one with Android. It is unlikely we'll see WebOS but never say never...
    4) If no WebOS, then how about putting sailfish OS on that new palm? Would that work? India is getting a feature phone version of sailfish very soon, so....
    No way. The gestures in Sailfish are not very intuitive, and there are some experience choices that are just bad (like not being able to share a pic from a messaging conversation, but only from the gallery).
    If SailfishOS is an option to be installed by the user, it's very likely that LuneOS is also an option.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Clarify for me - if LG has the rights to produce a webos phone, why should we care if TCL makes an android phone and puts a Palm label on it? Shouldn't we all hope for an LG webOS phone? Or Google phone with webOS, since Google owns the patents?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen1 View Post
    Clarify for me - if LG has the rights to produce a webos phone, why should we care if TCL makes an android phone and puts a Palm label on it? Shouldn't we all hope for an LG webOS phone? Or Google phone with webOS, since Google owns the patents?
    • TCL's Blackberry's retain some of the character of the original Blackberrys, certainly in terms of hardware. Even though they run Android, it is more secure and uses some Blackberry apps I think.
    • There is therefore a chance that TCL will produce a 'Palm-like' device, though they have already ruled out webOS (it will very likely run Android)
    • Though Palm hardware was fairly unique, the main attraction was in the operating systems. It's possible to 'skin' Android to resemble webOS, it's not the same.
    • So what will make a TCL/Palm phone different from any other Android slab? This is a key question for both us and TCL. Younger buyers have already forgotten Palm. Palm enthusiasts will not buy a phone just because it has 'Palm' written on it (well, some probably will, but not enough). If they can solve this problem, great! But those nostalgic for Palm will be looking for webOS or even PalmOS. Even something totally new could get good reviews, but will it work commercially?
    • As webOS is open-source, pretty much anyone with the resources can make a webOS phone.
    • As they own the development team, LG are best placed to do this, but haven't because webOS already failed in the market - a market that has now consolidated to Android & iOS. They've made it work on TVs because the timing was right (earlier smart TVs were not great). TVs only really need to show moving images and play sound, so there's less demand for umpteen apps and a longer product lifespan compared to phones. Those wanting to play games can plug a dedicated machine in.
    • We've been waiting for about 4 years for an LG webOS phone - even the watch vanished quickly. Should we continue to wait? No.
    • The recent fresh open-sourcing (webOS OSE) might help by speeding development and allowing other manufactures to try webOS (not that they were ever really prevented - see LuneOS), but the difficulty of breaking back into the mobile market with webOS remains.
    • Google do not own the patents. What patents there were got sold to Qualcomm - possibly they were mainly hardware patents, given the business of the buyer.
    • Google could also make a webOS phone, but they are also tied to the vast Android eco-system, even though they are also developing alternative OSes.
    • Any system trying to seriously enter the market will need to be able to run Android apps in order to compete with the incumbents. The only other options are spending huge sums of money on apps developed in house, or waiting for Progressive Web Apps to constitute a significant eco-system of their own. (arguably, webOS apps ARE PWAs and some say it was too soon, though these apps are apparently easier to develop).
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/13/2018 at 09:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Oh, you're right. I meant to say Qualcomm. i remember reading about some lawsuit regarding webOS patents between Apple and Qualcomm...

I should look on the Google playstore to see if there is any webOS launcher. I don't think I've ever seen one. Or... I could just keep using my pixi, which is my current phone and get the authentic webOS experience.

I believe the new Verizon Palm will be an android phone with a stylus. That would make sense, as many more people used Treos or Centros than pixi or pre's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen1 View Post
    Oh, you're right. I meant to say Qualcomm. i remember reading about some lawsuit regarding webOS patents between Apple and Qualcomm...

I should look on the Google playstore to see if there is any webOS launcher. I don't think I've ever seen one. Or... I could just keep using my pixi, which is my current phone and get the authentic webOS experience.

I believe the new Verizon Palm will be an android phone with a stylus. That would make sense, as many more people used Treos or Centros than pixi or pre's.
    You may be right. I think I saw a suggestion that a 'note' style phone might work.

These articles are a bit old now. There may be newer options, but:
    Making Android More Like webOS | pivotCE
    Guest Guide: Mimic webOS in Android | pivotCE
    Blackberry Hub was arguably the defining feature of BB10, and since that was carried over to Android Blackberries, hopefully things like the gestures, webOS app switcher with stacks, notifications on the bottom of the display and the quick wave launch bar would be carried over to the new TCL Palm phones. A stylus alone is hardly enough to differentiate the phone from the masses of Android slabs on the market at the moment. Maybe even a portrait slider could be cool.