Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jasondoes
  1.    #1  
    My palm pre 2 is detected by webOS Quick Install however no packages found except the ones in the themes tab.
    All the rest empty.
    It was working fine a week ago (so no problem with the PC) but today suddenly having this issue.
    When i click on the “Globe” icon it shows "Download and parsing" and seems it is downloading packages and no specific error.
    But then it shows no packages at all.
    Also noticed when I tried to install the gsync or ysync it shows "connecting" and freezes like that and have to kill the process to close the program cause it does not respond.
    Is this a server/domain problem (and old thread 2014 was suggesting that) ?
    Please any suggestion or help to solve the problem will be highly appreciated.
    If it is a server/domain problem any temporary solution to perform the steps in the "COMING (BACK) TO WEBOS IN 2014" guide?
    Thank you
    As far as i can tell ipkg.preware.net doesn't respond to a ping. This is VERY BAD
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    As far as i can tell ipkg.preware.net doesn't respond to a ping. This is VERY BAD
    There is server maintenance this week, so hopefully that is the reason.
  4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    There is server maintenance this week, so hopefully that is the reason.
    Thank you. I hope so. Would you know if there a temporary workaround to install preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by oyster07 View Post
    Thank you. I hope so. Would you know if there a temporary workaround to install preware?
    Not really. You might find or request copies of files on this forum and side load them, but if I was you. I'd just wait until the servers are back up.
    6000 apps saved. Just hit enter when user/password pops up ftp://preanon@webosftp.qualitis.hu/
    TJs11thPre and Frimmy B like this.
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Not really. You might find or request copies of files on this forum and side load them, but if I was you. I'd just wait until the servers are back up.
    thank you for the advise. Will wait. Hope is a temporary problems. Should server go back and running is there a way to save save all locally so that if will ever happen again i can still do everything ?
    EXACTLY the same problem at my end. Empty categories except Themes, can't install gsync (freezes), Hope it resolves this week. Thanks Oyster07
    Quote Originally Posted by oyster07 View Post
    thank you for the advise. Will wait. Hope is a temporary problems. Should server go back and running is there a way to save save all locally so that if will ever happen again i can still do everything ?
    When the HP catalog shutdown was announced, a lot of people deleted all their apps... Why?

The Palm Profile kept a record of what had been purchased. So before the shutdown, people installed a patch. https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...p-catalog.html
    The patch stopped the system from removing the IPK file after installation. This enabled the apps to be reinstalled and backed up (beware that the IPKs may fill up your USB space. It's also a good idea to move them off to separate storage). It did the same for fresh app downloads to (there was a bit of a last minute buying spree).

HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services | pivotCE

Preware patches have to be packaged as IPKs. Raw patch files can be installed with WOSQI or Internalz Pro. These files are often found on forum posts (as above) where they can be directly downloaded to an archive of your choice.
    https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...-touchpad.html

I haven't checked lately, but I believe the nodeleteipk patch works with items installed via Preware. But I think you can also download items directly from there anyway, though Preware is a bit more user friendly.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/22/2018 at 03:12 PM.
    I have been told that the servers are being moved from one physical loacation to another. It should be about a week, then they expect them to be back up.
    Yes that patch does work with Preware, but there isn't much point as the packages are freely available as you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yes that patch does work with Preware, but there isn't much point as the packages are freely available as you said.
    I believe Grabber5.0 is correct. I can't think of a situation where currently available apps can't be separately downloaded to a PC for sideloading (though it may be possible). Though WOSQI has it's advantages, Preware is the most convenient on-device installer and the patch ensures a back up. At this point in the life of Legacy webOS, I'd recommend a personal back up of everything that is installed. For webOS diehards with lots of free storage, there's an argument for getting EVERYTHING, just in case... It would be easier to do this directly with a PC. Some of it's basically junk, but once it's gone from the internet, it's gone...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/24/2018 at 10:06 AM.
  13.    #14  
    Thank you. Will wait for something to change. Up to today still not working
    Are there any news on the status of the preware.net server migration?
    Still unavailable for me...
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  16.    #17  
    just found out it is now working