Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crg84 View Post
    personally, i am tired of forums popping up about finding something that EVERYBODY is dying for but only the few who are highly advanced developers can access it. somebody PLEASE create a program that lets you do this more easily for example, something like cydia where you can download packages on to your pre without having to worry about making mincemeat of your os. i guess all that i am asking for is a little more organised way of hacking this AWESOME phone so that we can work together rather than it being a free for all for the developers and leaving everybody else behind. if we could pull this off, the iphone and apple would be eating there ****. i hope you guys agree with me
    They are trying, but it takes quite a bit of time, especially with a brand new operating system. You might try checking out the developer forums and seeing if maybe you could donate to the developers working on what you seemingly want NOW and for free. At least you said PLEASE...
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starfighter330 View Post
    How do you get this Webshell keyboard to come up? I am not always on here keeping track of things like this but I would like to try it out for myself, thanks guys!
    You don't. It doesn't exist. It's non-existant.
    Webshell does not exist in WebOS.
    The keyboard doesn't exist in the OS.
    It's not part of WebOS.
    It isn't a feature of the phone.
    There is no on-screen keyboard built into WebOS.

I'm trying to think of other ways to phrase this, but I'm running out of them.

Feel free to set up a webserver, install webssh, go to the webpage of the server you've installed and then use it to ssh to a linux box where you can run lynx and then use your precious on-screen keyboard to browse the web in glorious text. That's about all it's useful for at the moment.

To summarize again:
    Webshell is an application you would install on a server that you then access via a web browser. It contains a self-contained javascript keyboard that runs when you access the ssh client.

It is not part of the OS. It doesn't run in the OS. It's completely and totally useless on the phone in it's current state, unless you want to use an on-screen keyboard as part of your SSH client.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    personally, i am tired of forums popping up about finding something that EVERYBODY is dying for but only the few who are highly advanced developers can access it. somebody PLEASE create a program that lets you do this more easily for example, something like cydia where you can download packages on to your pre without having to worry about making mincemeat of your os. i guess all that i am asking for is a little more organised way of hacking this AWESOME phone so that we can work together rather than it being a free for all for the developers and leaving everybody else behind. if we could pull this off, the iphone and apple would be eating there ****. i hope you guys agree with me
    Well don't read the forums, then, and wait for Palm to release it. Chances are that anything the homebrew community hacks together to provide "needed" functionality will be addressed by Palm in a proper fashion when they are ready to release it.

Things that are outside of that realm will be more easily accessible when the SDK is released to the general public.

What you seem to want is a way to access the fruits of homebrew developer's labor without really contributing anything in return. If you want to help out, feel free to start reading up on programming and WebOS development. Figure out Linux. Write this application installer you so desperately desire.

Until then, don't whine when developers develop things that are difficult for layusers to install (or even understand). That's why there's an App Store of applications that are easy for end users to access, install and manage, and that's why there's a separate development environment for developers to develop in.
    How about you...

R.T.F.T.
    Since you are not a developer, or even a hacker, just what do you plan to add?
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Since you are not a developer, or even a hacker, just what do you plan to add?
    Beta-testing or just testing in general in as many environments as possible (outside the developer scope) is as important to an app as the development itself.

Or maybe you disagree and just like to churn out apps ignoring all feedback, hoping they work perfectly for everyone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    It's not part of WebOS.

Feel free to set up a webserver, install webssh, go to the webpage of the server you've installed and then use it to ssh to a linux box where you can run lynx and then use your precious on-screen keyboard to browse the web in glorious text. That's about all it's useful for at the moment.

To summarize again:
    Webshell is an application you would install on a server that you then access via a web browser. It contains a self-contained javascript keyboard that runs when you access the ssh client.

It is not part of the OS. It doesn't run in the OS. It's completely and totally useless on the phone in it's current state, unless you want to use an on-screen keyboard as part of your SSH client.
    I'm not very techy. How do I access the keyboard?

jkjkjkjkjkjkjk
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    in order to get webshell on the pre you must do it through linux right? i tried to do it in windows and i just couldnt figure it out
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Beta-testing or just testing in general in as many environments as possible (outside the developer scope) is as important to an app as the development itself.

Or maybe you disagree and just like to churn out apps ignoring all feedback, hoping they work perfectly for everyone...
    This might be of some validity if there was more than one environment in which to test. There is currently one conceivable target environment both in terms of OS version and hardware configuration, not to mention one carrier. And, quite frankly, the vast majority of projects have plenty of feedback from knowledgeable testers. They don't need people contributing uninformed opinions about things which they have no clue about.

Quote Originally Posted by paz00kie View Post
    in order to get webshell on the pre you must do it through linux right? i tried to do it in windows and i just couldnt figure it out
    Give up now.
    if you get anything on how to hack or no hack onscreen keyboard can you you let us know as soon as possible? I am dying to have. thanks for all your work and information.
    Please let us know when!!!! Wow
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    They are trying, but it takes quite a bit of time, especially with a brand new operating system. You might try checking out the developer forums and seeing if maybe you could donate to the developers working on what you seemingly want NOW and for free. At least you said PLEASE...
    I understand there working on it, and I hope for the sake of everybody that they get it to work, also, does anybody know when they will come out with a practical way of tethering so that you don't have to go through all of those steps each time?
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    I understand there working on it, and I hope for the sake of everybody that they get it to work, also, does anybody know when they will come out with a practical way of tethering so that you don't have to go through all of those steps each time?
    They won't because of Sprint's marketing of the broadband cards. They want you to buy that service instead
    Nice, I need this.
    ok so I'm new to this, how do I get the onscreen keyboard?
    thx a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    So I'm hacking the hell out of this Pre and was creating a webshell in the browser when out of nowhere pops up an on screen keyboard that works in landscape and vertical modes. I'm really tired right now so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

And yes the people in the Pre Dev IRC channel will be trying to make this a reality in all apps!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    It's not part of WebOS.

To summarize again:

Quote Originally Posted by sprintgirl1208 View Post
    ok so I'm new to this, how do I get the onscreen keyboard?
    thx a bunch

It isn't something that we can access ATM^^^^
    Okay there are a bunch of people saying I can get it, and some saying I can't. Would anyone like to give the simplest instructions on how to get this keyboard?
    It so much more than clear that it is not real, does not work, does not exist, etc. Why isn't this thread closed yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    Okay there are a bunch of people saying I can get it, and some saying I can't. Would anyone like to give the simplest instructions on how to get this keyboard?
    WebShell www-personal.umich.edu/~mressl/webshell/installation.html
    Installation

It is very easy to set up WebShell.

First you need to make sure python 2.3 or later and OpenSSL are installed on your system. You will also have to install the pyOpenSSL python extensions to OpenSSL.

Next you need to generate a server certificate. From the WebShell directory enter this command to quickly generate a certificate:

./make_certificate.sh
    Now issue this command to run the server:

./webshell.py
    To make sure that everything went well, check this URL in your browser: https://127.0.0.1:8022

You can change WebShell's background by overwriting the background.jpg file. You can also change the display colors in webshell.css. Restart the server afterwards to make your changes effective.

Voilą, enjoy WebShell.
    Features

VT100, ECMA-48 terminal emulation
    Integrated secure http server
    UTF-8, with chinese/japanese wide glyph support
    Virtual keyboard for iPhone users
    Changeable appearance
    Compliant with vttest
    Planned Features

VT52 terminal emulation
    Security

WebShell communications are as secure as a regular secure shell, as both ssh and WebShell are on top of the SSL/TLS layer.

It won't work for what you want to use it for: Landscape keyboard while browsing websites with your Pre.
    Last edited by Mannyman; 07/16/2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Lets count how many people keep falling for this thread.
    It's not part of WebOS.

I'm trying to think of other ways to phrase this, but I'm running out of them.......
    Why don't you just say what you mean and stop beating around the bush? Sheeesh...
    If Linux doesn't have a solution, then you probably have the wrong problem.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast