Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone, I am a devoted palm fan and I still have two palm pre 2 , working perfectly until last week when the screens went crazy and stopped responding to my touch imput , help what must I do and where can I find a screen replacement if there are still any?
    They both went wrong at the same time? ...odd...
    That does seem like an odd failure mode to happen on two different phones at the same time. Anything strange going on in your neck of the woods? Low yield nuke tests or something?
  4.    #4  
    it just stopped working, i bought both at the same time in 2013 i think, but i am not able to find any place on internet to buy a replacement screen
    I'm trying to think why you would be walking around using two Pre2s at once (maybe while you were getting tasered? ;-) ).

Were you using one that went wrong, then swapped to the other? The most likely explanation for simultaneous failure would be that there was something in common to affect either the hardware or software. Could there be something in your environment that's causing static electricity to build up?

If it is genuinely a simultaneous hardware failure, there was a repair service in Germany, but I don't know if anyone used it and the links are all 404 now, but you could try to contact to see if there are any spare parts perhaps... https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...e-germany.html

Any chance that it's software? Can you connect via USB & novacom? I wonder if it's worth trying to doctor one of the phones - in case there's some patch or modification in common that might mess up the screen. Or maybe you could remove stuff with WOSQI.

What do you think might be a common factor in simultaneous screen failure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I'm trying to think why you would be walking around using two Pre2s at once (maybe while you were getting tasered? ;-) ).

Were you using one that went wrong, then swapped to the other? The most likely explanation for simultaneous failure would be that there was something in common to affect either the hardware or software. Could there be something in your environment that's causing static electricity to build up?

If it is genuinely a simultaneous hardware failure, there was a repair service in Germany, but I don't know if anyone used it and the links are all 404 now, but you could try to contact to see if there are any spare parts perhaps... https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...e-germany.html

Any chance that it's software? Can you connect via USB & novacom? I wonder if it's worth trying to doctor one of the phones - in case there's some patch or modification in common that might mess up the screen. Or maybe you could remove stuff with WOSQI.

What do you think might be a common factor in simultaneous screen failure?
    Has a Doctor actually been known to fix touch screen unresponsiveness? I have had it happen a couple of times before - (https://forums.webosnation.com/hp-ve...alf-works.html for example) - and I have come to the conclusion that it seems like it could only be hardware. But I do have a Pre 2 that's hardly used, which has a dead zone in the center of the screen, (but sides are responsive). Do you think it could actually be software?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whocs View Post
    Has a Doctor actually been known to fix touch screen unresponsiveness? I have had it happen a couple of times before - (https://forums.webosnation.com/hp-ve...alf-works.html for example) - and I have come to the conclusion that it seems like it could only be hardware. But I do have a Pre 2 that's hardly used, which has a dead zone in the center of the screen, (but sides are responsive). Do you think it could actually be software?
    There is calibration software on the device. Try PmTpUpdater via SSH/novacom/terminal for updating touchscreen firmware.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    1whocs likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    There is calibration software on the device. Try PmTpUpdater via SSH/novacom/terminal for updating touchscreen firmware.

OK... Does doctoring not necessarily reset it, (I.e. If I doctor and it doesn't fix it, does that mean the problem is not the touchscreen fw)?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

Where's the PmTpUpdater package? I don't find it in sdk/pdk files. Novacom doesn't recognize the command as-is... Sorry, nevermind. I got it in root shell. Here's my output:

root@webos-device:/# PmTpUpdater -a
    PmTpUpdater -a
    Hardware id is 0x0. Make sure this matches your hardware otherwise your touchpanel may not work.
    Programmed FW version is 8400. File firmware version is 8400 (only valid for hex file versions 200a and higher).
    Not flashing FW. Device has newer or same version than file. Use --force or -f to force.
    root@webos-device:/#
    root@webos-device:/# PmTpUpdater -a -f
    PmTpUpdater -a -f
    Hardware id is 0x0. Make sure this matches your hardware otherwise your touchpanel may not work.
    Programmed FW version is 8400. File firmware version is 8400 (only valid for hex file versions 200a and higher).
    Programming in progress...
    Starting "Initialize Target" Phase
    Starting "Verify Chip ID" Phase
    Starting "Program" Phase
    Starting "Verify" Phase
    Starting "Secure" Phase
    Starting "Verify Checksum" Phase
    Starting "Exit Program and Calibration" Phase
    New firmware version is 8400
    Calibrating internal low-speed oscillator (ILO) for wake on touch (WOT) mode
    Done
    root@webos-device:/#

Rebooted, and no change. Was it done right?

Thanks
    Last edited by 1whocs; 01/24/2019 at 09:25 PM.
    Well, I'm guessing it's hardware - it seems calibrated ok, (the parts of the screen that respond to touch are accurate). The zone that's not working is right in the horizontal middle, from the bottom to about 2/3 up, (imagine starting from the bottom-left of the screen, and drawing an upside-down "U" around the edge, ending at the bottom-right - that's what works). Maybe I'll have some luck opening it up and wiggling a cable or something...
    Indeed seems like it went OK. This is what the Doctor would do as well. It would flash the firmware of the touchpanel and calibrate it.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    1whocs and MudShark22 like this.