Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cheque_some
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Lately my Pre 2 will intermittently say "Phone offline" and the reception bars will disappear from the upper right. Then a moment later it will come back and reconnect to the cellular network and the receptions bars will re-appear. Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it? I'm guessing it's the cellular redio going out and it's the beginning of the end
    You could be in an area of poor coverage, or it could be a bug. I suppose only doctoring might fix it if it's something that's developed in the system (a glitch). Yes, the hardware could be failing, but I'd guess that was the least likely reason.
    Sorry for the basic recommendation but have you tried removing and reinserting the SIM card? Sometimes they just move a little bit and cause that problem.
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guilledil View Post
    Sorry for the basic recommendation but have you tried removing and reinserting the SIM card? Sometimes they just move a little bit and cause that problem.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried moving the SIM to my Pre 3 to test if it was just bad coverage or something (Pre 3 seemed to have a stable connection), and then moved the SIM back to my Pre 2, which continues to have an intermittent cellular connection.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    OK, so good news. I wanted to write back to make sure my solution was recorded for the next person.

I saw a couple mentions of people saying they fixed the phone being offline by replacing the flex cable connecting the communications board to the main board. I transplanted one from a Pre Plus I had lying around, and it's not going "offline" any more. Not the easiest job, but do-able if you have the confidence and a bit of know-how. I followed the instructions here: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Palm-Pre-Teardown/809/1 and here https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...ml#post2425746

Note that I didn't actually have to remove the keyboard bezel to do it. I used a heat gun to soften up the glue on the ribbon cables so I didn't have to pull as hard to get them off.

And as a bonus, I can charge on a Touchstone again! It looks like the contacts from the case rear come from the communications board, and then the power is delivered over that ribbon cable to the rest of the phone, so replacing the ribbon cable also helped that! Nice!
    Preemptive likes this.