Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    OK. I keep meaning to write the 'definitive' guide, but it's a big job and it was almost done back in 2014. That guide is still pretty good, but has needed some updates and fixing of broken links.

A definitive guide would cover backing up a used device, wiping/doctoring, bypassing activation, then setting up. That last bit would hopefully be a simple update of the article linked above and many of the other steps have also been covered before. Oh, yes: Every device would have to be covered too!

The only way I'm going to have time to write this is slowly: One step at a time. Regulars on this forum will be aware that I don't know much - I collect information together in (hopefully useful) threads and articles to save people asking and searching over and over for the same things.

I have my old Pre2: Daily driver until it started lighting up at random and killing the battery. Maybe it's a software fault, but it could be the hardware I suppose. It works OK otherwise, so the test is to start over and see what happens. If it works fine, I still have a spare battery in good shape, so will start using it again, at least while I fix up the other devices I have. It has quite a few apps on it and a load of data. I have a PC running Linux. I could likely reinstall windows if needed, but I doubt I need to.

Here's my plan:
    When there's consensus on the next step to take, I'll do it and report back, writing a guide as I go. The further I get, the more we can use existing guides where they are still up to date. As these forums are fairly quiet these days, the whole process could take months, but we'll see.

The stages would be:
    1. Any needed preparation.
    2. Back up. See the link in my signature for a thread - but have the suggestions ever been tested?
    3. Wiping. Should be straight forward - if scary!
    4. Doctoring. This phone was doctored once before. I think it took about 10 attempts before it worked...
    5. Bypass activation (Should be easy).
    6. Setup. What updates are needed for the 2014 list? There is also the service pack link below.
    7. Restoring backed up data (where possible).

There will be many steps under these headings!

To begin: Have I missed any stages?

If I've charged my battery and have a USB cable, what's the next thing I should do?

If anyone wants to follow along with their own device, then we can see when specific instructions are needed. Also, someone can take over if I brick my phone!

Notes:
    • Though there is a plan to make a service pack doctor, it has stalled a bit and I'm not going to get into meta-doctoring unless there is development there. Here's a thread if you could help make that happen: WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor - 2017
    • Restoring data is possibly an unknown area, so sucess may be limited.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/10/2018 at 08:49 PM.
    Kai00, nosc12 and TJs11thPre like this.
    Count me in! I am back on the WebOS Pre revival train after a multi-year hiatus. Please let me know what I can do to help refresh the Post-Leo-Apocolypse guide. I am in need of reviving my fleet of various WebOS devices after years of shelf time. I am a technical documetation writer among other things in my day job and would love to contribute. Please advise!

-Capt Jax
  3.    #3  
    Hey! A reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by jax1111 View Post
    Count me in! I am back on the WebOS Pre revival train after a multi-year hiatus. Please let me know what I can do to help refresh the Post-Leo-Apocolypse guide. I am in need of reviving my fleet of various WebOS devices after years of shelf time. I am a technical documetation writer among other things in my day job and would love to contribute. Please advise!

-Capt Jax
    You remind me that I should actually list some sources.

So, what's standard for the first page of a user manual Capt Jax?
    Why can't someone just create a 2018 metadoctor? Something that sets it all up nicely from the start, using all of today's needed patches and settings.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Why can't someone just create a 2018 metadoctor? Something that sets it all up nicely from the start, using all of today's needed patches and settings.
    https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...ml#post3451411