Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  1.    #1  
    HI

I have a Palm Pixi I am trying to revive. It had been working OK until it started to display phone offline. I have tried to Doctor it, but it keeps getting stuck at 4% saying "waiting for device to come back" then I get this error.

Jan 23, 2018 1:41:29 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure
    err -1 "Timeout waiting for device to appear"
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.waitForDeviceToAppear(NovacomDevice.java:223)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.waitForDeviceToAppear(NovacomDevice.java:200)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.RamdiskLoadingStage.run(RamdiskLoadingStage.java:69)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:143)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Jan 23, 2018 1:41:29 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1516736489730
    from /tmp/PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0.lck
    to /tmp/palmInstallerError0.log
    from /tmp/PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0
    to /tmp/palmInstallerError1.log
    Jan 23, 2018 1:41:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    Jan 23, 2018 1:41:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
    err -1 "Timeout waiting for device to appear"
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.waitForDeviceToAppear(NovacomDevice.java:223)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.waitForDeviceToAppear(NovacomDevice.java:200)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.RamdiskLoadingStage.run(RamdiskLoadingStage.java:69)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:143)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    Jan 23, 2018 1:41:32 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Jan 23, 2018 1:41:32 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    Jan 23, 2018 1:41:32 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Jan 23, 2018 1:41:32 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card

I have searched all over, I have seen the wiki for How to Recover but it doesn't address my problem, as far as I can see. Anybody out there have any ideas? If I run Novaterm I see the prompt "root@palm-webos-device:/#"

Thanks!
    Have you tried with another cable and/or a different usb port ? (just in case)
    Alternatively you can try using novainstaller, to flash

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zav5y60h0d...er_97.jar?dl=0

with Local base and Local Customization images.
    Local Base and Local Customization Images are extracted from WebOS doctor.jar file (rename jar to zip and open it, under folder resources there is a local base image webOS.tar and Local Customization Image )

a.) Local Base Image:
    b.) Local Customization Image:
    c.) Modem Update: Skip
    d.) Firmware Update Skip (if you already have the final version, there is no need to use Check or Force)
    e.) Skip Format of Media Partition: you need to select this one if you want to save the data on your Media Partition, if you want to wipe it clean, just leave it without
    f.) Skip Battery Check: you don't need to select this one
    g.) Set Developer Mode: Novacom
    h.) Touchpanel Update: Skip
    j.) Software Update Site : you can select Production or QA/internal (as servers are not working anymore it doesn't matter what you select, there is now no way to register Go on Production App Catalog, you can still use Impostah and fake those details anyway)
    k.) Skip First Use (OTA and app updates won't work): you can select this one, so there will no need to use devicetool, or you can not use it and use device tool to bypass activation

than just press Flash device
    Preemptive likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Hi

Thanks for your reply

I did try multiple cables, ports and computers.

I will try the Novainstaller option you posted. I downloaded the link and will try to run it later.

I have already extracted the .jar file in Linux with Arhiver. Does it make a difference to extract it as .zip?

Thanks
    no difference. in both cases you get the .tar stored inside
  6.    #6  
    Hi

Sorry, I need a little more help if you would. I don't understand the Local base and Local Customization Image. I can find the webos.tar folder - is that what you mean by Local Base? I do not understand the Local Customization Image - is it hte att.tar folder? Do I need to find these and place them in the Novainstaller.jar (sorry, this is a little out of my wheelhouse and I'm kind of feeling my way) I did get a pop up window for Nova Device installer (ver 97) but it was blank.

I ran the java script and received errors but I would expect that if I missed some steps.

Thanks much

$ java -jar /Documents/PALM\ PIXI/WEBOS/NovaInstaller_97.jar
    Jan 24, 2018 10:17:43 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.DesktopDriversMgr checkAndInstallDrivers
    INFO: Java Os Name: LINUX
    Jan 24, 2018 10:17:43 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.DesktopDriversMgr checkAndInstallDrivers
    INFO: Java Os Arch: AMD64
    INFO: Java Os version: 3.13.0-141-generic
    INFO: java version: 1.7.0_151
    INFO: java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre
    INFO: java tmp dir: /tmp
    INFO: java vendor: Oracle Corporation
    INFO: java vm version: 24.151-b01
    INFO: java vm vendor: Oracle Corporation
    INFO: user lang: null
    INFO: -----checkAndInstallDrivers
    Novacom submission 26
    Core submission 150
    App submission 93
    ^Cmspringer@amdquad:~$ java -jar /home/mspringer/Documents/PALM\ PIXI/WEBOS/Novastaller_97.jar
    Jan 24, 2018 10:19:14 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.DesktopDriversMgr checkAndInstallDrivers
    Jan 24, 2018 10:19:14 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.DesktopDriversMgr checkAndInstallDrivers
    Novacom submission 26
    Core submission 150
    App submission 93
    WARNING: Failed to load config file, expected if no VPN connection available
    Failed to load the configuration file
    WARNING: Error reading file: http://coreos.palm.com/~phoenixun/nd...ate_sites.json
    WARNING: This is expected if no VPN connection to Palm is available
  7.    #7  
    UPDATE

The Nova Com pop window was the installer running, it took a while to populate. Please clarify, if you would, what you mean by Local Base and Local Customization Image. Other than that, I think I'm good to try it.

Thanks
    The local base is the bigger tar with the webos image
    The Local customization image , is usually a smaller tar ( 30m ? depends ) that has inside the carrier customized apps that get installed after the rest

By example, in an AT&T doctor, you would find a WebOS.tar , and a small att.tar.
    Those 2 are the files needed to be pointed at by the Local Base ( webos.tar ) and by Local Customization
    Preemptive likes this.
  9.    #9  
    That's what I thought you meant. There are those times when I almost feel like I know what I'm doing

Found them and will try and flash the device. There is an option for A6 Update you don't mention. Do I need to do anything with it?

Thanks again for your time and suggestions. I will be thrilled to get this device working again.
    don't select to do updates to the A6
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all your help, but I think it may be hardware damage. The Novainstaller gets stuck as well. If you have any other suggestions I'd be glad to try but I have another Pixi with a non working touchscreen, so i may just use this one for parts

Here is the the output of the CLI when I try to flash the device. I have tried multiple times and a couple of different cables all with the same result. I tried a different version of Novainstaller I found in one of your other posts (version 92) and got the same output as webos doctor (loading Ramdisk 50...waiting for device to return). I re-downloaded the Novacominstaller and the webos doctor files just in case they were corrupted. Still no go.

I will try and flash it again trying different options in Novainstaller but I expect it will not make a difference. I am surprised I can't get it to work, it powers up and returns the error screen after I restart it - from everything I read it seems like it should be recoverable.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

mspringer@amdquad:~$ java -jar /home/..../NovaInstaller_97.jar
    Jan 26, 2018 11:18:53 AM com.palm.nova.installer.core.DesktopDriversMgr checkAndInstallDrivers
    Jan 26, 2018 11:18:53 AM com.palm.nova.installer.core.DesktopDriversMgr checkAndInstallDrivers
    Novacom submission 26
    Core submission 150
    App submission 93
    WARNING: Failed to load config file, expected if no VPN connection available
    Failed to load the configuration file

WARNING: Error reading file: http://coreos.palm.com/~phoenixun/nd...ate_sites.json
    WARNING: This is expected if no VPN connection to Palm is available

Error getting Phoenix Build Server Details
    WARNING: Error getting Phoenix Build Server Details, expected if no VPN connection available
    Device: 4B432C323019C757A6B09FDB7C8C151A95190279 (usb, pixie-bootie)
    Build: /home/mspringer/Desktop/PIXIFLASHFILES/webosdoctorp121ewwatt 0113/resources/webOS.tar /home/mspringer/Desktop/PIXIFLASHFILES/webosdoctorp121ewwatt 0113/resources/att.tar
    WARNING: Error getting Phoenix Build Server Details, expected if no VPN connection available
    Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.palm.nova.installer.app.BuildPickerPane.getType(BuildPickerPane.java:686)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.app.MainWindow.updateConfig(MainWindow.java:418)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.app.MainWindow.actionPerformed(MainWindow.java:855)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2018)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2341)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6516)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3311)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6281)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2229)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4872)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2287)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4698)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4832)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4492)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4422)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2273)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2718)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4698)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:747)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$300(EventQueue.java:103)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:706)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:704)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java: 76)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java: 86)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:720)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:718)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java: 76)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:717)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:218)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:133)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:118)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:91)
    mmmm, I wonder if a partition is locked in read only mode
  13.    #13  
    is there a way to reformat the drive then doctor it? I have no info that I need to keep on the Pixi. I have been able to get root access
    Quote Originally Posted by indusarts View Post
    is there a way to reformat the drive then doctor it? I have no info that I need to keep on the Pixi. I have been able to get root access
    Should be similar to this for the 16gb pre2. http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Talk:How_To_Recover

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  15.    #15  
    I am just getting back to this. I don't want to give up my palm os device until they pry it out of my cold, keyboard cramped hand. I love this phone.

I am not sure I understand the instructions you directed me to. I believe I just saw another link somewhere that had similar instructions, but I had to be in root mode on the pixies. I can run Novaterm and get root access and see all the directories I am supposed to see, so the device is still running after a fashion

I have an ATT Palm Pixi Plus I am trying to fix. I also have one that I am using which works well. Would it be possible to copy the files from the working device to the non-working device?

Please - if anyone is still out there - could you give me slightly more precise instructions on how to rebuild the file system.

Thanks