Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    As technology develops, we are seeing further problems with legacy webOS. Patches used to be sufficient for a minor bug, missing function or outdated app. But now, we need new browsers to support modern websites, new SSL for greater certificate encryption and now it seems TLS problems are preventing some sites from loading at all.

It maybe that modularity will allow us to modify ever larger and fundamental parts of the system, but Palm modified both the Linux kernel and Webkit to create webOS, so drop in replacements likely aren't possible (some of the code is also closed-source). So we need the few people still here who know how the system works even to consider making the changes to the 'upstream' components.

Porting LuneOS has been suggested, but aside from the TouchPad, it's unlikely that the legacy phones will have enough memory.

With the release of webOS OSE, does another possibility arise? It's a development of legacy webOS. It's fully open-source. It's possible that it retains much of the 'DNA' of the original. Is it likely that it remains similar enough to be used without huge modifications?

The dream: Install core webOS OSE and add the original UI on top! Instant modern OS on your old hardware.
    The possible nightmare: OSE has changed so much, that it's completely incompatible with the UI, it's also become too big for phone memory sizes, a libhybris-type solution would be needed for the old drivers.

Of course, even if this idea is viable, it will likely require significant effort to make it work and the talent pool here is not large. On the other hand, if we could get a 'pure' webOS solution running on the old devices, we could not only see greater compatibility with LuneOS, but benefit from development work on that project. We might even see new releases of webOS rather than life-saving patches.

That's the pitch! Now shoot it down in flames!
    I thought another problem, and possibly the biggest one about LuneOS on legacy devices was the lack of the necessary drivers? I've been out of the loop though so I could be wrong.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post
    I thought another problem, and possibly the biggest one about LuneOS on legacy devices was the lack of the necessary drivers? I've been out of the loop though so I could be wrong.
    You could be right. But then again, that was a port to Android H/W. OSE is a full system (admittedly on a very open RPi). As long as it can be seen where the system interacts with the drivers, that part of legacy could be retained. It's not like all the various patches affect the drivers. I'm effectively proposing a very big patch. Custom car analogy: Keep the wheels, tyres, bodyshell and interior. Replace the engine, electrics etc, etc. You now have a modern car that appears to be a classic!

Again, I'm no expert, so this is all guesswork. I thought maybe drivers might have to be compiled into the kernel, but the uberkernel is a thing...
  4.    #4  
    If any one wants to give this thread a quick and merciful death, I think either drivers or not enough memory are the likely blockers. Even if they're not, I'm doubtful anyone will do this.

I guess the process would be to install webOS OSE on to a Pre2/3* or more likely replace most of legacy with it and patch it so it works with the driver interface (far easier to write that than do it, no doubt!). The result would be useless as a phone, but it could then use the webOS-Ports work to reinstate the UI. Of course, then it would basically be LuneOS and possibly too big, but 'almost pure' webOS might be slimmer and some newer features might be stripped back. The goal is simply to update legacy so that it works smoothly in 2019 and can be updated in future, based on OSE & LuneOS.

*The TouchPad can already run LuneOS
    Old kernel and memory are blockers. CPU speed as well. LuneOS and/or OSE are a no-go. There's not enough resources tot tweak the performance etc even if it would run.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
  6.    #6  
    OK! back to the drawing board!
    Isn't OSE meant also for low mem appliances ?
    Memory is cheap, 1/2GB is considered low memory nowadays
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Isn't OSE meant also for low mem appliances ?
    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  9.    #9  
    Wait, what?! We need 1/2 a GB for OSE? Where will we find it? https://www.gsmarena.com/palm_pre_2-3559.php

I know: chip speed!