Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hello, I am a user of HP WebOS touchpad from a long time, and it does work great so far. As I have heard so much about VPN that it does let you access the geo-restricted content from anywhere and also it does enhance your online security of your WebOS Device. So I have started searching about the VPN and have found that they are little expensive, but as the Black Friday is in the corner, I have seen a good black Friday deal of PureVPN, they are offering their 5-year subscription just for $79 instead of $657. Which is a good discount offer I think!
    This is the deal: https://purevpn.com/vpn-deals/lifetime

I want your guy's recommendation, that does this VPN works with HP WebOS? And is there any other VPN which is easier to set up on HP WebOS and is lower in price, than please recommend.
    Last edited by Kevin545; 11/21/2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: URL was broken
    Ok, I'll chime in. This probably won't work. WebOS has support for Cisco VPN and IpSec -- but both are old versions. Most of these VPN providers probably use some standard under-the-hood, but they usually wrap it with their own app, which undoubtedly wouldn't be available for WebOS!
    In general, you're better off running your own VPN -- although using a commercial service does protect you from your cable company, or hotel/Starbucks Wifi provider snooping, it doesn't protect you from the VPN provider snooping. Many of them are run out of China, where your data probably has other uses to the provider/government.

You're much better off running your own VPN. A $30 Raspberry Pi, and literally 5-10 minutes running the Pi VPN script (PiVPN: Simplest setup of OpenVPN) and tweaking your router settings is all it takes.

You can also experiment with running a VPN service that your device does support. I've played around with running an IpSec VPN on my Pi, but as mentioned, you need an old version, and those tend to be less secure, and much less easy to set-up then PiVPN! If you get something working, I'd love to hear about it! I've spent a few hours on this, and haven't gotten very far, but I'm willing to bet it can be done.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thanks jonwise for such great information, I will give a try to both methods you have mentioned, and will let you know if anyone works for me.
    Ok, you ask a few different questions that I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
    I have heard so much about VPN that it does let you access the geo-restricted content from anywhere and also it does enhance your online security of your WebOS Device.
    Both are true, but to a point. Some companies block connections through a VPN (Netflix is a prime example, although that of course is not relevant to the Touchpad). Furthermore, there are different protocols when connecting. Some are more secure than others (and some older ones are really not that secure anymore). I did do some tests concerning IP6 and DNS leaks in PureVPN, and although I did see some old reviews that claimed it's connection was vulnerable to this, it appears that this has since been resolved. Also, as Jon mentions: you need to be quite certain they don't log your internet use.

So, does PureVPN log your use? - Well, they say they don't. But in the past it has been shown that up to some extend they do. Their own blog explains it as such: http://forums.webosnation.com/e?link...token=gp2Y-tzn

If this is a concern then I would go with Jon's solution of try one on this list: https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/best-no-log-vpns/ (if you feel you can trust this information).

So I have started searching about the VPN and have found that they are little expensive, but as the Black Friday is in the corner, I have seen a good black Friday deal of PureVPN, they are offering their 5-year subscription just for $79 instead of $657. Which is a good discount offer I think!
    I have used PureVPN. But I'm not really thrilled by it. I feel there are some issues on speed, connectivity, and reliability. In my opinion, $79 for 5 years isn't that bad a deal, but based on my personal experience and other user-reviews I would probably choose to pay a little more and choose something like NordVPN which generally gets good reviews (e.g. https://thebestvpn.com/reviews/nordvpn/, https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/nordvpn/). But it's a little more expensive but when on sale it's $2.99/m for three years; so amounts to about $108 (http://forums.webosnation.com/e?link...token=tSrCCnA4). I haven't tested it myself though, and I don't know if it could work with WebOS.

I want your guy's recommendation, that does this VPN works with HP WebOS?
    PureVPN actually provides a walk-through for setting it up on the touchpad: https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-s...pn-on-hp-webos. I have tested it, and it (still) works.

There are some caveats though:
    1. It requires you to download a small app from the catalog: PPTP VPN Plugin by HP. Fortunately this application was backed up and is available on the app-backup FTP.
    2. The PPTP protcol isn't the most secure nowadays (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-...eling_Protocol).
    I actually got NordVPN yesterday and could give it a go on webOS I guess. Which webOS version? 2.x or 3.x

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    if I Google for NordVPN and PPTP I get results like this: https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/d-link/pptp/
    At the top they mention "The L2TP and PPTP protocols are becoming obsolete. Therefore, as of Dec. 1st, 2018, NordVPN will no longer support them. We recommend OpenVPN or IKEv2/IPSec." - So my guess is that even if it works now, it won't be in a few weeks...probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I actually got NordVPN yesterday and could give it a go on webOS I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    if I Google for NordVPN and PPTP I get results like this: (...) "The L2TP and PPTP protocols are becoming obsolete. Therefore, as of Dec. 1st, 2018, NordVPN will no longer support them. We recommend OpenVPN or IKEv2/IPSec." - So my guess is that even if it works now, it won't be in a few weeks...probably.
    I could put this on the discussion agenda for Sunday. If Herrie can test, the results will be interesting, but if the protocols used by webOS are dated / obsolete, then perhaps we should seek a solution. "OpenVPN" has a usable sounding name...
    Questions:
    1. Are there current VPN options for webOS or is it another aspect soon to be obsolete?
    2. Does a VPN option exist for LuneOS?
    3. If not, could the existing webOS app be upgraded to the benefit of both systems?

We could publish a guide to this and maybe the RPi setup needed..?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/22/2018 at 10:49 AM.
    Maybe someone with some knowledge could check out the code of the PPTP VPN Plugin in the FTP Archive. That might give us a hint as to implement additional protocols into the existing app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I could put this on the discussion agenda for Sunday. If Herrie can test, the results will be interesting, but if the protocols used by webOS are dated / obsolete, then perhaps we should seek a solution. "OpenVPN" has a usable sounding name...
    Questions:
    1. Are there current VPN options for webOS or is it another aspect soon to be obsolete?
    2. Does a VPN option exist for LuneOS?
    3. If not, could the existing webOS app be upgraded to the benefit of both systems?

We could publish a guide to this and maybe the RPi setup needed..?
    In LuneOS we have it added in back end via ConnMan not too long ago. No UI yet though and I haven't tested it to be honest. But it should work. I hope to have time shortly to play with it a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    In LuneOS we have it added in back end via ConnMan not too long ago.
    I'm going to guess that setup is incompatible with legacy. I'll add the item to discussion and we can try to sort out options.
    Well legacy uses ConnMan too if I remember correctly (or was it only Open webOS?). Anyway the version would be old, toolchain would be an issue, but technically not impossible probably, but the SSL bits would need updating first too.
    Preemptive likes this.