• 1 Post By Andrew Hunt
  • 1 Post By codepoet80
  • 2 Post By ggendel
  • 1 Post By MudShark22
  • 1 Post By codepoet80
  1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone!

It's been a while since I've been here.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am working on a launcher for android that is based on webOS. There never really was a good replacement to give that good look and feel of webOS. I have a very basic version created, and I plan to make it more usable. If anyone is interested in testing it out and maybe providing feedback, I have it posted to my github (https://github.com/achunt2143/webOS-Launcher) under the Releases.
    Last edited by Andrew Hunt; 08/13/2022 at 11:58 AM.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    Global Posts
    830 Global Posts
    This sounds like fun, good luck. When it's ready for testing make sure we know so we can provide feedback. There are many other aspects of WebOS that I miss. Imagine bringing back the auto-switching of speaker and earpiece depending upon whether it was in a stand or not. Android device search and application synergy has gotten better, but not up to "just-type" WebOS.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Andrew Hunt likes this.
  3.    #3  
    If you, or anyone really, would like to start testing it, that would be great. I think github will allow anyone to submit bugs right on the page. I just got a pretty simple Just Type function working. It will probably never be as good as webOS's but its certainly a start. The launcher at least functions in my testing. It would be nice to see what others experience, since all Android devices are so different.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    nomad84 likes this.
    I'll definitely try it out at some point!
    Check out webOS Archive for preservation and development projects: webosarchive.org | Follow the Archive on Twitter | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    Andrew Hunt likes this.
    Global Posts
    830 Global Posts
    Just installed and I'm really impressed. It's definitely fun so far. However, if I only have an on-screen keyboard, how do I bring it up for Just-Type? Clicking on it shows a "search the web" field, but that's it. Also, if you can point me to information on how to build it myself that would be great.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    codepoet80 and MudShark22 like this.
  6.    #6  
    You would need to tap the Just Type box again to bring up the keyboard. I haven't worked out how to get the focus to be enabled by default yet when the screen comes up. For building it, you'll need to open it in android studio. There shouldn't be any additional steps, just clone the repo and open existing project.
    I have installed it on my OnePlus 6t running Android 9.

Super cool.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Andrew Hunt likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hunt View Post
    If you, or anyone really, would like to start testing it, that would be great.
    Its lovely, keep going! I like it a lot - and it looks nice on my Pixel 3a running grapheneOS
    Check out webOS Archive for preservation and development projects: webosarchive.org | Follow the Archive on Twitter | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    Andrew Hunt likes this.