Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dkirker
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Besides it's genious software the Pre1-3 and Veer stood out because of their physical keyboard. Having used many physical hardware phones and still having typed on many more (at least for testing purposes) I must say, that out of all of them, I think the Pre³ keyboard is the best.
    But if you were looking for a replacement keyboard wise (not looking at software for a moment) you had a really hard time. Besides some Feature texting-phones, there were only the Blackberrys left you could opt for.

Now tide seems to change as two new keyboard devices finally are getting close to shipment day. So this woudl make (counting the Blackberry KeyOne in) three possible options to choose from.

So, I wanted to hear your opinion on that matter.

1. Option - Blackberry KoeyOne
    Most of you should know the Blackberry KeyOne, so I won't say much about it. I know Alan is using it and I guess some more, so there is experience on board for that beast.

2. Option - Gemini PDA
    After going through a quite successful Indiegogo campaign last year the Psion inspired clamshell smartphone with a full qwerty keyboard (and Android) is being shipped to backers in the next few weeks and then making its way to the general audience.

Here is a link to the first hands-on of an actual journalist just released today:
    https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/r...eback-of-sorts

3. Option - Moto Z Keyboard Mod
    Well not an actual physical smartphone on its own - its pretty much the closest you can get (besides Option 1 and 2) nowadays. It uses the Moto Z's unique ability to add hardware on its back. By this it won't suffer the disadvantages of the attachable bluetooth keyboards available for some android smartphone or iphones. So I would count it as a bundle a full hardware keyboard smartphone.
    It will be shipped in the next few weeks to backers, as well, and then go on sale. Unfortunately, there are no independent tests or reviews yet.
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...r-the-moto-z#/
    Keyboard Mod for Moto Z: Bringing a landscape keyboard of the past to a modern smartphone | ZDNet

So what do you think? Is webOS/palm/Pre only about software or do you miss the hardware keyboard as well (I know form factor is another topic in this direction).

Would you buy one of these options? And for what reasons?

Thanks a lot

Best Jörg
    I'm going to assume that like all Blackberries, you can't root it and install something else, so that's out for me.

I was getting excited about the Gemini, but kind of agree with the piece you linked to. I think the keyboard will be fine - it's bigger than the Pre! But this is in fact more of a PDA than phone. I think the question was raised before: How do you hold it to your ear? There is only a front facing camera and it seems to have the same res as the Pre3. I guess in an ideal world, there would be the cheap wifi PDA version and if you went 4G, there would be a rear facing (better) camera and maybe an LCD for number display (i.e. more like a phone). Of course all these fancy options would cost more. The current price seems to be that of a high end mobile.

I assumed the moto add on would be another compromise and possibly a flimsy one. Also, as a 'stick on' it's never going to be as well integrated as a purpose designed device. But from the photos, it actually looks really good. Obviously, I've got no problem with a 'thicker' phone and chuckle at those who spend loads on a shiny thin thing to wrap it in a case (or even an extended battery case). But how thick is the moto with this thing on? Looks pretty chunky, but then I guess the KB is removable... Does it need to be removed to use the camera? It does have a tilt, but how stable is it on a surface? Also, LG G5 - which lasted all of one generation! What will moto's commitment be and how many accessories will need to be sold for it to be worth the manufacturer's efforts?

I think a moto is supposedly a good value phone, so I guess one with a KB add on will still be less that the Gemini. Assuming LuneOS could be installed on both and without a close comparison of the specs, I'd guess the Gemini will be the cooler device, but the moto will be cheaper and more like a phone (though possibly will also look more like a brick).

Both of these appear to be interesting options, though both have compromises. If the Gemini was a moto-type slider rather than Clamshell, that might be the phone we are looking for. I wonder how far the nostalgia factor will shift these units, when most are now happily tapping on slabs.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/06/2018 at 10:50 PM.
    The speaker for the Gemini is on the lid, so you can close it and hold it to your ear (at least, that is what I remember from one of the updates on Indiegogo, and what one of the photos in that review shows).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Yep, you can use the Gemini as a phone. But the decision to implement LEDs for caller identifaction is somewhat supoptimal.

I don't know why they didn't choose the solution of the Yotaphone (an E-Ink display on the back). That would not only have made sense but was already done by the first few generations of the Nokia Communicator Series up to the E90. So I guess the designers intentionally chose against that kind of idea.

I only can hope that they change their minds in the future as I guess that this is a definite criteria not to buy the Gemini as a phone but solely as a PDA (which is pretty anachronistic these days)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    No, not too bad... even if "our" form factor (vertical slider kind of kb) allows for an easier usage , imo
    I have zero interest in landscape keyboards. It was hard enough to reach all the keys on smaller ones like the Samsung Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I have zero interest in landscape keyboards. It was hard enough to reach all the keys on smaller ones like the Samsung Epic.
    Landscape size keyboards are definitely a little slower. I have a Passport and an old Touch Pro 2 and it's definitely a lot more thumb movement to get across those keyboards.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
    Yeah. My first smartphone was a PPC-6700. A big brick with a landscape slider. I moved from that to the Treo 800w, and found the vertical keyboard much better, but I hated having such a small square screen. It was tolerable, but not ideal. I got the Pre as soon as I was upgrade eligible, which I believe was September, and fell in love with the portrait slider format. The BB KEYone has a better screen ratio than the Treo did, but I don't love the phone. I have been bouncing between that, a Nexus 5, and a Nexus 5X. I would like to keep my FrankenPre2 in the rotation, but I really hate having to take the modem out to put in a Sprint Pre to reactivate it.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Yes landscape keyboards are slower to type on. I used a range of different devises but I got best typing speed on the Pre3 and BB Bold 9900, but the Pre3 is because of its distinctive key seperation easier to type on without error. In most other keyboards the singular keys are without any space between eachother making it difficult to distinguish them sometimes tactile wise.

Using my Passport currently I find it an ok solution but probably not the best. Let's see what future brings along. I just hope no one is scared off of building an Pre(3) like keyboard because of Qualcomms known tendancy to abuse patents. (As someone mentioned somewhere else Nokia and Blackberry didn't fight over keyboard patents, so this threat might be not so important - but on the other hand, Blackberry sued the makes of an iphone Keyboard for patent infringements). Well, we will see.

A friend of mine has a Moto Z. Maybe I just invest the 60 or 80 bucks to pick up the keyboard mod and test it on his smartphone.