Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I have my Pre 2 on T-mobile and it seems like the reception is getting worse and worse. I suspect this is due to them decommissioning 2G and 3G service. Anyone else experiencing this or have suggestions for a different carrier to try?

Thanks
    They are decommissioning 3G already? Hmmm... That's bad! I'm not an expert on this stuff, so I guess 4 & 5G can use the old frequencies or the networks would keep at least 3G going just for good customer relations.

I'm kind of bumping your thread, because this might be the final straw for the old devices.

Did the 4G TP do proper 4G? Or was everything H+ (fast 3G)?

I'm a bit surprised that the network type can't be detected and determined by the modem handshake - well, I suppose that already happens and 3G is being axed simply to gain more bandwidth (and everyone will have know choice but to 'upgrade' to new phones.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/04/2018 at 07:02 AM. Reason: typos
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I may have jumped the gun on assuming this was due to 3G decommissioning (though I know there are plans to do so, see https://www.androidheadlines.com/201...g-3g-2019.html) .

As mentioned in another thread, I have been having weird issues where my Pre 2 will change to displaying "Phone Offline", now on a regular basis, before reconnecting. This is a recent development, but I am now beginning to suspect it's related to the intermittent reception issues that started happening earlier. I tried swapping my SIM card into the Pre 3 I had lying around, and the 3G connection seemed to be a lot more stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    They are decommissioning 3G already? Hmmm... That's bad! I'm not an expert on this stuff, so I guess 4 & 5G can use the old frequencies or the networks would keep at least 3G going just for good customer relations.

I'm kind of bumping you thread, because this might be the final saw for the old devices.

Did the 4G TP do proper 4G? Or was everything H+ (fast 3G)?

I'm a bit surprised that the network type can't be detected and determined by the modem handshake - well, I suppose that already happens and 3G is being axed simply to gain more bandwidth (and everyone will have know choice but to 'upgrade' to new phones.
    TP4G is FauxG by default meaning HSDPA+, however if you swap the Ericsson with a Sierra card it's proper 4G with proper 4G speeds

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.