Like Tree14Likes
  • 6 Post By webOS Ports
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By benh
  • 4 Post By HP_TOUCHPAD_LuneOS
  • 1 Post By Shuswap
  1.    #1  
    Happy Halloween! The long wait is finally over #LuneOS and #webOS fans! We’re back with a new release called “Eggnog Latte” which is a milestone in terms of developments and paves the way forward!

So you’re wondering what we’ve been up to since our previous stable release at the end of last year?

We have done many major upgrades to a large number of components of our stack being:
    • Migration of Open webOS to webOS OSE components.
      We are almost half way there in terms of the migration of old Open webOS components to their webOS OSE replacements.

This was a monumental task due to the fact that webOS OSE code was released without any history. So every component needed to be analyzed to understand what was changed in the years of development inside of LG Electronics. Our custom changes needed to be re-assessed and re-implemented into the new components where applicable. A change of direction in certain aspects in terms of architecture made the whole exercise even more complicated. We do however believe that we’re in a good state now in terms of migration. There are still quite some components to migrate and we’ll get through that in the next releases.
    • Qt:
      We migrated from Qt 5.11.3 to Qt 5.12.5 which included an update for Chromium from 65 to 69 amongst other improvements.
    • Yocto upgrade:
      We upgraded from the no longer supported Yocto Pyro release, via the intermediary Rocko, Sumo and Thud releases to the latest Yocto release called Warrior.

Read more...
    That change log is so long it should have been published in installments!

This is the test protocol if users want to report their results to this thread: LuneOS Testing Protocol
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    Wow! That IS a long list of changes! Will be trying it out as soon as I can get a backup done.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I had a 1.2GB LuneOS partition on my Touchpad and needed to increase it as I ran out of space extracting the dev image.

Apart from that, a fairly smooth first boot up and log in. Wifi seemed like it wasn't connecting in the first login wizard, but was actually connected. Screen was dimming like I wasn't using it after a minute or two, even though I was using it, but a reboot seemed to fix that.

I applied a couple of settings in the Tweaks app and now the app won't load - Unknown Service Error - Configuration could not be loaded since the service returned an error!

I can't believe you guys are still at it. Good work.
    Preemptive and MudShark22 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    I had a 1.2GB LuneOS partition on my Touchpad and needed to increase it as I ran out of space extracting the dev image.

Apart from that, a fairly smooth first boot up and log in. Wifi seemed like it wasn't connecting in the first login wizard, but was actually connected. Screen was dimming like I wasn't using it after a minute or two, even though I was using it, but a reboot seemed to fix that.

I applied a couple of settings in the Tweaks app and now the app won't load - Unknown Service Error - Configuration could not be loaded since the service returned an error!

I can't believe you guys are still at it. Good work.
    The WiFi, screen dimming is something I've also noticed. We'll look into it. The Tweaks issue I haven't seen yet myself, could be something minor after OSE migration that needs fixing still.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Thanks to all that made Eggnog Latte possible, it works on the HP Touchpad.

LuneOS Eggnog Latte can be set up on the HP Touchpad and does not need WebOS or Android. It can be triple boot with WebOS, Android and LuneOS.
    Once all the minor issues get fix, LuneOS can be flash easily on the HP Touchpad by any user by just downloading the file and flash it with TWRP Recovery as is can de done right now.
    Click HERE for all the files to make the HP Touchpad ready for LuneOS

Instructions:
    Dual Boot Android and LuneOS
    All process will WIPE ALL the data from the Tablet.
    Back up all data to PC, before doing any of the following.

To set up Tablet:

If the Tablet only has WebOS or Android
    If the user does not have the novacom driver then this can be use:
    Click HERE for Linux OS with novacom driver
    One a PC with the novacom driver, place the Tablet in WebOS Recovery mode.
    Download: uImage.wipe_all_create_Android_Luneos
    open a command prompt and enter:
    novacom boot mem:// < uImage.wipe_all_create_Android_Luneos
    ( All data will be wipe, erase and formated. Android volumens and LuneOS partition with a 1GB swap will be created.)
    TWRP Recovery 3.2.1 modified to mount the LuneOS partition is flash in /boot
    1. Download the stable LuneOS Eggnog Latte release, rename it to luneos.tar.gz and copy it to the Micro SD card of the Tablet.
    Flash the following files in TWRP Recovery:
    2. Download: Flash_boot_uImage_LuneOS_Eggnog_Latte.zip
    3. Download: Flash_LuneOS.zip
    Any Android version can also be flash for a dual boot.

If the Tablet has any version of Android or recovery:
    Flash the following file with any recovery:
    Download: Automatic_Wipe_All_Android_and_LuneOS_1GB_Swap_Partition.zip
    Follow steps 1,2 and 3 from above.

The file: FLINTMAN-TWRP-3.2.1-0-03-15-2018_LuneOS.zip
    Is the modified Recovery to flash LuneOS and is already flash onto /boot by the previous process.
    Only flash this file, if is changed or damage in any way.

Click HERE for all the Android ROMs that can be dual boot with LuneOS and share swap
    Click HERE for the Guide on XDA
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Nice to see you posting here too, and linking to your very helpful XDA pages.
    This is the original home for the HP Touchpad !, thanks for your comment I am trying to make it easier for any user to get LuneOS and Android on the Tablet. There is a lot of work and dedication by developers on creating all the great Operating System for the Tablet.

I would like to try optimizing the Kernel and provide 1GB of RAM and 1836 frequency to LuneOS, same as I did for all the Android ROMs:
    Click HERE for MAX 1GB and 1836 frequency

I tried recompiling the following Kernel, but it does not finish booting in Eggnog Latte.
    Click HERE for the Kernel 3.4 CM 12.1

Question:
    Is the link above the same kernel use for Eggnog Latte?
    If not, can someone post the kernel source for Eggnog Latte.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by HP_TOUCHPAD_LuneOS View Post
    Question:

Thanks!
    You'll probably get an answer here, but if you want to talk directly to the developers (or even participate), you could try the #webOS-ports channel on the Freenode IRC network.

I think the project uses the best- fit kernel for each device, using Lineage, halium or even mainline where possible.
    My question is: On mako, is CWM or TWRP the better option? The release notes mention both. The wiki instructions only mention CWM. I've seen a mention that this is no longer developed, but I'm not clear on that.

CWM is already installed, so I guess I'm OK to proceed, but if TWRP is the better option, I may as well do that also.
    Quote Originally Posted by HP_TOUCHPAD_LuneOS View Post
    This is the original home for the HP Touchpad !, thanks for your comment I am trying to make it easier for any user to get LuneOS and Android on the Tablet. There is a lot of work and dedication by developers on creating all the great Operating System for the Tablet.

I would like to try optimizing the Kernel and provide 1GB of RAM and 1836 frequency to LuneOS, same as I did for all the Android ROMs:
    Click HERE for MAX 1GB and 1836 frequency

I tried recompiling the following Kernel, but it does not finish booting in Eggnog Latte.
    Click HERE for the Kernel 3.4 CM 12.1

Question:

Thanks!
    Yes this is the kernel used.

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    My question is: On mako, is CWM or TWRP the better option? The release notes mention both. The wiki instructions only mention CWM. I've seen a mention that this is no longer developed, but I'm not clear on that.

CWM is already installed, so I guess I'm OK to proceed, but if TWRP is the better option, I may as well do that also.
    Both should work really

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Yes this is the kernel used.
    I use the branch : tenderloin/3.4/cm-12.1
    The kernel compiles with no issues and is merged with the current ramdisk.
    Once it boots, a dark active screen is shown.
    The only thing that I can think of is, if there is anything checking for the kernel signature like a module that was built outside the kernel and it won't load.
    The attached screenshot is of the finish compile kernel.
    Screenshot 2019-11-09 17:44:16.png
    Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    I did a little playing around with the latest release yesterday.

I have a Mi A1 and the greatest difficulty was figuring out how to downgrade to Nougat.

Some observations:

• Browser is improved and YouTube worked well
    • Contact creation works (but the dialogs don't fit the screen well)
    • Apps sometimes won't restart after you've used them once (happened with both the browser and another app ... I think it was Preware)
    • The screen dims when you reach the screen timeout limit in the settings. You have to hit the power button (quickly cycle to standby and back, not full power off) to get the brightness back to normal.

Here's some information for anyone using a Mi A1, who has upgraded to Pie or further (which upgrades some low-level firmware and makes downgrading difficult):

I'm doing this from memory, so if I've made any errors, let me know.

This presumes that your bootloader is already unlocked. You also need a TWRP backup of your old Nougat installation, which must include the boot and EFS partitions. You'll probably want a backup of your current install too (including at least system, data, and boot), so you can restore your existing Android installation afterward.

You also need:

• a copy of the Nougat factory OS and your current version of the factory OS to flash.
    • a couple of versions of TWRP (either 3.1.1-0 or 3.1.1-1 plus either 3.2.3-1 or a newer version). These should be versions for the Mi A1 (codename "tissot"). Look around on XDA for them.
    • the android tools installed on your laptop or computer (adb, fastboot, etc.)

To downgrade:

• put your device into developer mode and enable USB debugging
    • connect the device to your computer by USB
    • boot into fastboot (volume down + power)
    • flash the Nougat factory OS
    • fastboot boot "twrpfilename" [use twrp 3.1.1 here. LuneOS works best with it.]
    • use twrp to flash boot and EFS (note: it is not recommended to install twrp to the Mi A1)

Then follow the LuneOS flashing guide here: https://forums.webosnation.com/luneo...ml#post3454659 You'll be starting on step #5. Note that twrp 3.1.1-1 works in place of 3.1.1-0.

To upgrade:

• connect the device to your computer by USB
    • flash the current factory OS
    • fastboot boot "twrpfilename" (I used twrp 3.2.3-1 here).
    • use twrp to flash system, data, and boot (from your twrp backup of the current version).
    • reboot into your regular installation (again, it is not recommended to install twrp to the Mi A1)
    Last edited by Shuswap; 11/11/2019 at 12:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    A Pinephone is on order! I will be sure to post videos once I have it.
    Preemptive likes this.