Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  1. Shihatsu's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have'nt been here for a while (the reason is called Lumia 825, you may guess why), but here I am again - the reason this time is called Lumia 950, which is dying. I have tried Android and like the tinkering, bute HATE the google spyware and all things related to it. Also the UI is friggin inconsistent. I have to use iOS at work, and would rather not have to...
    So, my plan: Buy a cheap Android, put luneOS on it and be happy, I use most of the time only E-Mail and Browser. But wait. There are two other apps which are required for me: Threema and Spotify. Can those apps be working on luneOS, via a web wrapper or something similar?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by Shihatsu; 07/15/2019 at 02:24 AM.
  2. #2  
    Check the webos-ports wiki page.

    Essentially, there are only a couple of targets, OS is alpha and not truly useable as daily driver. And while wrappers et al have been discussed, it would be way down the totem pole in priority given that many basic functions need some attention still and the crew is small.



    Sent from a OnePlus Dumpling awaiting LuneOS
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  3. Shihatsu's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #3  
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't specific enough. I know quite well which state luneOS has, I used it in vBox and ond my N7, and as long as phone and messaging works (which should do on hte available Xiaomi handsets) I am fine. Thing is: Any way to get these two apps working?
  4. Shuswap's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    #4  
    I haven't tested LuneOS on the MI A1 in a while, but I'm not sure that you can assume that the phone and messaging functions are working.

    Perhaps someone else can chime in with a more definitive answer.

    Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
  5. #5  
    There is a web player for Spotify. There are media plugins you can add, so I'd guess you can do Spotify.

    I had to look up Threema. I'm guessing that would need an app. Maybe there's a cross-platform or web version, but I'd guess no on that one.

    All you can do is test.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    I haven't tested LuneOS on the MI A1 in a while, but I'm not sure that you can assume that the phone and messaging functions are working.

    Perhaps someone else can chime in with a more definitive answer.

    Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    We actually found out that telephony is broken currently (on all targets) and we're trying to track it down. Incoming and outgoing SMS are working, though Messaging app that was written from scratch in Enyo 2 would need polishing. For a better experience you could sideload the IPK from 3.0.5 or pull it from the 3.0.5 SDK. Copyright issues prevent us from including it in the image.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Shuswap likes this.
  7. Spinn's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #7  
    I was just thinking the same thing today. My 950 XL is still working fine and I plan on using it through at least December. It remains to be seen how far into next year I will get with it though.

    I don't like Android or iOS and would prefer to go back to webOS. All I really need it telephony, SMS, decent browser, and the ability to get email, calendar, and contacts from my Microsoft account.
    Palm III -> IBM WorkPad c3 -> Palm TX -> HP Touchpad
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinn View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing today. My 950 XL is still working fine and I plan on using it through at least December. It remains to be seen how far into next year I will get with it though.

    I don't like Android or iOS and would prefer to go back to webOS. All I really need it telephony, SMS, decent browser, and the ability to get email, calendar, and contacts from my Microsoft account.
    You mention Microsoft account. Is this using Exchange Active Sync (EAS) or another method. When HP open sourced webOS, they removed the EAS support due to licensing fees. And it seems there's no ready and open implementation for it currently that could be easily integrated.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  9. Shihatsu's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #9  
    Both EAS as well as IMAP/SMTP are supported for microsoft accounts.
    I have bought a Redmi5 in the meantime and will try to get Doppio onto it. There is no installation guide for it, I could make a write-up when I am done. How could I provide it to the wiki?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihatsu View Post
    Both EAS as well as IMAP/SMTP are supported for microsoft accounts.
    I have bought a Redmi5 in the meantime and will try to get Doppio onto it. There is no installation guide for it, I could make a write-up when I am done. How could I provide it to the wiki?
    IMAP/SMTP should be fine. EAS is problematic currently.

    The guide isn't there/updated yet, feel free to add to the Wiki! Was on our to-do list

    Short steps are as follows:
    1. In Android: Enable Developer mode (tap on the version/build number 7 times).
    2. Reboot into fastboot with volume down+power
    3. fastboot oem unlock
    4. flash stock 7.1.2 image.
    5. Boot TWRP with "fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-1.img".
    6. Formatted data partition in TWRP to remove encryption.
    7. Restart TWRP with "fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-1.img".
    8. Flash "luneos-dev-package-rosy.zip" via TWRP advanced, adb sideload.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  11. Spinn's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You mention Microsoft account. Is this using Exchange Active Sync (EAS) or another method. When HP open sourced webOS, they removed the EAS support due to licensing fees. And it seems there's no ready and open implementation for it currently that could be easily integrated.
    It is just a standard consumer account on Outlook.com so I would imagine that I could use IMAP/SMTP.
    Last edited by Herrie; 07/19/2019 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Wrong place ;)
    Palm III -> IBM WorkPad c3 -> Palm TX -> HP Touchpad
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinn View Post
    It is just a standard consumer account on Outlook.com so I would imagine that I could use IMAP/SMTP.
    Seems so yes. You can always test it with the VirtualBox Emulator image. That's how I test my email, GMail accounts as well
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  13. Shihatsu's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    IMAP/SMTP should be fine. EAS is problematic currently.

    The guide isn't there/updated yet, feel free to add to the Wiki! Was on our to-do list

    Short steps are as follows:
    1. In Android: Enable Developer mode (tap on the version/build number 7 times).
    2. Reboot into fastboot with volume down+power
    3. fastboot oem unlock
    4. flash stock 7.1.2 image.
    5. Boot TWRP with "fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-1.img".
    6. Formatted data partition in TWRP to remove encryption.
    7. Restart TWRP with "fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-1.img".
    8. Flash "luneos-dev-package-rosy.zip" via TWRP advanced, adb sideload.
    Either I am to stupid (yepp, sounds like me) or there is no edit button in the Wiki. Must I creater an account first?
    Thank you very much for the detailes steps, though, albeit there is an error with the OEM unluck procedure - XIAMI is ******* things up terribly here...
    Nevertheless, I got this beauty of an OS on my phone, but the keyboard is not working. A quick search brought up this post:
    https://forums.webosnation.com/luneo...ml#post3454719
    Any tip or hint how to get a hit?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihatsu View Post
    Either I am to stupid (yepp, sounds like me) or there is no edit button in the Wiki. Must I creater an account first?
    Thank you very much for the detailes steps, though, albeit there is an error with the OEM unluck procedure - XIAMI is ******* things up terribly here...
    Nevertheless, I got this beauty of an OS on my phone, but the keyboard is not working. A quick search brought up this post:
    https://forums.webosnation.com/luneo...ml#post3454719
    Any tip or hint how to get a hit?
    Reboot sometimes helps to fix the vkb issue. For wiki, what's your username? Could be I need to explicitly enable it. We had some spammers in the past...

    Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2

Similar Threads

  1. Pre 3 case / back cover?
    By Nguyen1 in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07/14/2019, 11:11 AM
  2. Dead Pre 3 Wanted
    By OliTheRepairDude in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07/11/2019, 04:03 AM
  3. What is going on when I connect a USB hard drive to my WebOS TV?
    By mimphiskhan in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07/09/2019, 01:48 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06/18/2019, 09:49 AM
  5. Do I need to upgrade my webOS?
    By marcus3217 in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06/06/2019, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions