Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
  1.    #1  
    The very long wait is over #LuneOS and #webOS fans! We’re finally back with a new release called “Doppio” which we believe will be a milestone in terms of developments and the way forward!

So you’re wondering what we’ve been up to for the past year?

Well, actually a whole lot to be honest! We have upgraded the bluetooth stack from BlueZ4 to BlueZ5 which required quite some work to the kernels. This has been successfully completed for the Nexus 4 (Mako) and Nexus 5 (Hammerhead); unfortunately to date we haven’t been able to get this to work on the Touchpad (4G) (Tenderloin).

We have been working closely together with the Halium project and have made further integrations between LuneOS and Halium reducing duplication between the projects and using a single source where possible. This all to be more easily integrated, and to facilitate ports to newer devices. We have upstreamed our kernel patches (mainly to fix GCC 5/6/7/8 compatibility) to Halium so we can use a shared kernel for our targets.

Talking about new devices we’ve been working on: Since Google dropped the (budget) Nexus line and launched the (premium) Pixel line, we’ve been looking for other targets that are easily available, budget friendly and have good community support. We quickly ended up with Xiaomi which makes phones with decent specs, unlockable bootloader (the process is a bit tedious, but it’s do-able) and the phones give very good value for money.

Read more...
    Last edited by webOS Ports; 11/28/2018 at 03:57 AM.
    Awesome! Look forward to trying on a device

Re: devices
    OPO Bacon gets tons of support on XDA, including LineageOS and modern kernels and unlocked boot loaders. I have two :-)

Devices are a bargain on swappa too.
    And if it works on bacon, generally it can be ported to other OPO devices fairly well.

While Xiaomi may be more prevalent in Europe, I truly know no one here in NYC metro that uses one.

That said, I will now have to look into getting one. Had GNex and Mako but these are no longer prime targets.

Thanks to entire Ports team for your efforts! Read the IRC log every day.

Sent from my OPO awaiting LuneOS
    Last edited by MudShark22; 11/28/2018 at 09:27 AM.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    NuclearKev likes this.
    Thinking of picking up a Nexus 5 to try this out. Can anyone speak to how usable it is as a daily device?
    Also, is anything I'm learning about HP webOS development applicable to LuneOS? Or will I be starting from scratch?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Well @#$%^& me. I bought a Mi A1 in the summer.... This news couldn't be any better.
    Preemptive and NuclearKev like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Awesome! Look forward to trying on a device

Re: devices
    OPO Bacon gets tons of support on XDA, including LineageOS and modern kernels and unlocked boot loaders. I have two :-)

Devices are a bargain on swappa too.
    And if it works on bacon, generally it can be ported to other OPO devices fairly well.

While Xiaomi may be more prevalent in Europe, I truly know no one here in NYC metro that uses one.

That said, I will now have to look into getting one. Had GNex and Mako but these are no longer prime targets.

Thanks to entire Ports team for your efforts! Read the IRC log every day.

Bacon shouldn't be rocket science. The problem is a bit the 3.4 kernel which will get more and more problematic, also with other devices. Newer gcc, systemd, glibc and BlueZ5 don't like 3.4 kernel too much. So it requires a lot of patching to get things working.
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Well @#$%^& me. I bought a Mi A1 in the summer.... This news couldn't be any better.
    We're trying to get some installation instructions up on the wiki shortly.

So far this is a short summary:
    1. In Android: Enable Developer mode.
    2. Reboot into fastboot with volume down+power
    3. fastboot oem unlock
    4. flash stock 7.1.2 image.
    5. Boot TWRP with "fastboot boot twrp-3.1.1-0-tissot.img".
    6. Format data partition to remove encryption.
    7. Restart TWRP with "fastboot boot twrp-3.1.1-0-tissot.img".
    8. Flash "luneos-dev-package" (either from /sdcard or via adb sideload)
    Shuswap likes this.
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwise80 View Post
    Thinking of picking up a Nexus 5 to try this out. Can anyone speak to how usable it is as a daily device?
    Also, is anything I'm learning about HP webOS development applicable to LuneOS? Or will I be starting from scratch?
    Rough at best, but a lot of things actually work, just need tweaking and polishing. Enyo 1.0/2.0 is supported, Mojo/PDK/SDK apps not. You can use Qt apps (C or QML). Web stack is modern and can run things like Enact and Polymer in theory without much issues.
    jonwise80 and MudShark22 like this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    We're trying to get some installation instructions up on the wiki shortly.

Thanks! As soon as I can get my data transfered over to another device, I'm going to give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    For those whose Christmas list is too short: Xiaomi Mi A1 (Mi 5X) - Full phone specifications
    ...If only these worked on U.S. carriers... As far as I can tell there isn't yet a Xiaomi phone that works in the U.S.A....
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    ...If only these worked on U.S. carriers... As far as I can tell there isn't yet a Xiaomi phone that works in the U.S.A....
    I haven't found one yet. But will keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by webOS Ports View Post
    Bacon shouldn't be rocket science. The problem is a bit the 3.4 kernel which will get more and more problematic, also with other devices. Newer gcc, systemd, glibc and BlueZ5 don't like 3.4 kernel too much. So it requires a lot of patching to get things working.
    Doesnt CM 12.1 for mako use a 3.4 kernel too? We need to flash that before installing LuneOS iirc.

Don't recall now as my mako is running LineageOS but I think that is 3.4.x as well.

Doesnt CM 12.1 for mako use a 3.4 kernel too?
    It does. There are lots of patches to get the Bluetooth stack to work.
    So is the Xiaomi a newer kernel than 3.4.x ?

I guess the better question is what targets use a more modern kernel?

So is the Xiaomi a newer kernel than 3.4.x ?

what targets use a more modern kernel?
    The more modern targets :P

We are at the mercy of external forces here. The Android Open Source Project (AOSP) is the base origin for all of these kernels, I think, but we rely on the vendors to release derived kernels that support their particular devices. Once they've done that, they tend to move on to the next device and it is projects like LineageOS and Halium that are interested to maintain and improve support for older ones.
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    That's a fair point. Seems from 2G/3G side you're OK with Xiaomi, but they don't seem to support the 4G bands used in the US

Seeing that we worked a lot on the Halium integration, this means that theoretically it's pretty straight forward to get any of the Halium supported devices to run LuneOS as well And there are currently already quite some devices supported and the list is growing still

https://github.com/Halium/halium-dev...-7.1/manifests
    Great news and congratulations with a new milestone! Future is quite excing for this project!
    I wonder how does Mi A1 work on LuneOS latest release? Any feedback so far?
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by HepCat86 View Post
    Great news and congratulations with a new milestone! Future is quite excing for this project!
    I wonder how does Mi A1 work on LuneOS latest release? Any feedback so far?
    With such specs it flies really. It's quick, snappy like you would expect and we don't have many tuning done in LuneOS yet. The OS in general is quite lean and performs very well on modern hardware.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by elvispre View Post

The more modern targets

We are at the mercy of external forces here. The Android Open Source Project (AOSP) is the base origin for all of these kernels, I think, but we rely on the vendors to release derived kernels that support their particular devices. Once they've done that, they tend to move on to the next device and it is projects like LineageOS and Halium that are interested to maintain and improve support for older ones.
    Oh I agree. In fact my Maguro is running Unlegacy which has it running OK using almost pure Nougat. The communities around the devices keep them relevant.

Well...Halium is not officially supporting Bacon and currently stops at cheeseburger (OPO 5)

So it looks like I need to fix my mako.

Quote Originally Posted by jonwise80 View Post
    I haven't tried this new build yet, but in my experience, previous builds were absolutely not suitable for daily driver use. I had to reboot frequently to keep it usable. It's not a knock on the ports team, as I know it's a huge amount of work. Excited to try out the new build on my N5.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast