Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By DougInAmbler
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By 1whocs
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 3 Post By DougInAmbler
  1.    #1  
    All attempts to validate gmail settings fail.
    I used CertGrabber, downloaded latest cert OK, rebooted HP Veer, no luck.
    In my PC Gmail Account I can no longer find any setting for "Allow less secure app..."
    In my PC Gmail Account today it first showed Veer as "unknown device", and now it has disappeared. I don't see any way to "add" the device back.
    A year or two ago Google Gmail allowed "app passwords", it still does, but I see no way to create and use an app password for use by my HP Veer to connect to gmail server.
    Nothing has changed in my gmail settings, but I noticed last week gmail forced me to re-login on all devices, and since then HP Veer cannot connect to gmail server. Error "username or password incorrect". But of course they are correct, it is a login failure for some other reason.
  2.    #2  
    I was able to resolve this, after an hour or two of thrashing in my Google Account.
    The trick was to create an App Password (16 letters generated by Google), and use this once in HPVeer for my gmail server login, after which login should not be needed from HP Veer (until next time Google tightens security).
    I found this in Google Account->Security->App Passwords->Create Password
    I filled in the following required fields:
    App name: mail
    Device: Other, "HPVeer4097b" (I think an arbitrary identifier is OK if unique)

Also I got a popup suggesting I upgrade to a newer Gmail app on the device, or to keep the older "HTML mail". I chose the older, assume there is no new app for the Veer.
    Grabber5.0 and Preemptive like this.
    They're sending me occasional messages urging me to turn off less secure access. No thanks, I want my webOS devices to keep getting email! Those mesages are the only way I know to even find that setting anymore.
  4.    #4  
    More hours of frustration with login to Gmail, on newly initialized HP Veer (bought new).
    Login attempt to Google email account gets "Bad Request".
    I installed and ran CertGrabber, no errors, and cert for gmail.imap is there.

Trying previous solution of "Generate app password" within my Google Account on desktop, it no longer allows me to select App=Mail, and Device=Other(custom). Here I used to create a name like "HP4097b", and it would generate a one-time login password (16 letters) to use on the HP Veer. Now one must select Device = iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, Mac, Windows Phone, etc, in order to activate "Generate" button. Choosing "Other" no longer allows you to type in a name, and the Generate button is disabled. I tried declaring my HP Veer as Blackberry or Windows Phone, which then gave me an app password, but of course that failed to login also.
    I have internet access, spotty on some sites, but seems OK.
    Much googling on Google account devices didn't help. Stumped again.
    You might need the SLL upgrades. There have been a few security requirements lately. webOS is barely surviving.

OpenSSL-Updater - Fixing Certificate Issues
    Squid SSL Bump
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/05/2019 at 06:16 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Would like to try OpenSSL-Updater, but link to instructions on enabling "alpha testing feeds" in Preware is broken. http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._Testing_Feeds
    Squid SSL Bump just scares me, cannot understand a word of it.
    Thanks
  7.    #7  
    Gmail is/was working on my earlier Veers:
    #1, about 2012: gmail still works fine but Veer is intermittent on charging and won't connect to USB
    #2, about 2016: gmail was working but Veer no longer finishes booting (shows only "HP"), won't connect to USB
    #3, new this week. gmail won't connect, gets "Bad Request" when I enter my normal Google password.

This tells me I shouldn't need any SSL upgrade. Mostly I am stumped why Google Account Security/Devices won't let me generate a one-time app password for Mail on Veer, as it used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougInAmbler View Post
    Would like to try OpenSSL-Updater, but link to instructions on enabling "alpha testing feeds" in Preware is broken. http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._Testing_Feeds
    Squid SSL Bump just scares me, cannot understand a word of it.
    Thanks
    I just loaded this page on my Pre2 - https://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds

As for Google/Gmail, I have found that each time I try to load email or sign in, I get one of those 'someone has your password' security alerts in Gmail. If I click on 'check recent activity' and then 'yes it was me', (you need to do it on the computer), then, right afterwards, gmail will properly fetch new emails on the phone, with no error. After waiting a while and trying again, I get 'unknown error/bad request'. I've tested it twice so far. Obviously impractical to the point of unusability, but maybe it explains something...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you using an App Specific Password for GMail? If not, you will need to be using one. Basically, logging in through POP/IMAP/SMTP is seen as "insecure", and since it isn't using Google's APIs, you have to have an app specific password. I think if you don't you get the behavior as above; or that you cannot log in at all. This should help you if you haven't set one up: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en It shouldn't really matter what platform and name you select for the password. That just creates a description so that you know what it is and can revoke the right one later.

The OpenSSL-Updater should allow this all to work. It has been what is working for me.

(Also, I am kind of back from "the dead"... Sorry for the silence.)

Examples of what I was able to do:
    Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 18.03.57.png Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 18.04.08.png

EDIT: Add examples
    Last edited by dkirker; 12/06/2019 at 08:10 PM.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whocs View Post
    I just loaded this page on my Pre2 - https://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds
    Failed to open for me. On Win10 "site cannot be reached", on HP Veer, "502 Bad Gateway"
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Are you using an App Specific Password for GMail? If not, you will need to be using one. ...
    As I said in #4 Google Account's "Create App Password" used to work for me but now no longer. If I "Select device" that is "Other" it no longer allows me to fill in an arbitrary name like Pre3 or Veer22abc (the name edit box is disabled or does not appear), hence the "Generate" button is forever disabled. It only gets enabled if I select "iPad" or "BlackBerry" etc, which leads to a different dead end error when I do click Generate.
  12.    #12  
    As I said in #4 Google Account's "Create App Password" used to work for me but now no longer. If I "Select device" that is "Other" it no longer allows me to fill in an arbitrary name like Pre3 or Veer22abc (the name edit box is disabled or does not appear), hence the "Generate" button is forever disabled. It only gets enabled if I select "iPad" or "BlackBerry" etc, which leads to a different dead end error when I do click Generate.
    Oh, I got past that hurdle: In Google Accounts one must find and set "Allow Less Secure Apps", then the Generate button is activated for "Mail", "Other", "Veer2019", and it generates an app specific password.
    BUT, entering that password from Veer for gmail login gets an endless loop of "Bad Request".
    Sometimes the login attempt gets an alert email from Google , but following that "check activity" link just gets me to a webpage reporting the access attempt, with no provision for allowing it.

I have also toggled "2-step verification" to OFF then back to ON. Don't know if it must be OFF to proceed.
    Failed to open for me. On Win10 "site cannot be reached", on HP Veer, "502 Bad Gateway"
    Strange - I just got 'bad gateway' this time. My last post, I posted the url link right from the url bar with the page having loaded fine... Not sure why that would happen.

Instructions here - https://pivotce.com/2016/07/07/guide...oogle-synergy/

Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I think the oauth patches are required for any Google authentication to work nowadays. It's working on all of my devices still. I do not like using app-specific passwords on webOS, because it's a pain.
    kataran likes this.
    Site working again, with a strange 'deprecated...' message overlaid on top...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uko3aspxbz...33832.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jfl5e6t4k...33841.png?dl=0

17.    #17  
    Please pardon my 2-week absence, I'm still very interested.

I'm told that SSL_Updater "might" fix my failure to login to gmail, but it sounds like a high risk of disaster: Apparently I must enable Alpha Feeds to get it, and the doc page on that warns I could lose all my data and damage my device. Leaves me scared off. At least I am now able to access the Testing_Feeds page mentioned above.

I'm also told that OAuth "might" be required. I must be stupid, I cannot find this anywhere after browsing the links I see and looking in WOSQui and Preware.

Can anyone tell me that one or both is/are necessary, in order to get gmail?
    Thanks for patience.
  18.    #18  
    Success!
    Stumbled into it, perhaps re-discovered the steps from previous time.

On my Gmail account on the web I created a 3rd party app one-time password
    (previous attempts sometimes failed to activate the "Generate Password" button; perhaps creating a unique app name like "Gmail on Veer" this time helped)

On the Veer I clicked the Email app icon. This took me to an Account selection page:
    -Email
    -Gmail
    -Yahoo

The wrong thing to do was to select Gmail: this led to endless loop of logon attempts ending with "bad request".

The right thing is to select "Email" and configure it to point to the gmail servers, via Manual Setup button:
    I chose:
    Type: IMAP
    Incoming Server: imap.gmail.com
    Encrypt: SSL
    Password: = 3rd party app password from above, 16-char string
    Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
    Encrypt: SSL
    Password: same as above

Finally "sign in" succeeds, and Inbox on Veer fills up!!
    Whoo Hoo.
    Sent myself an email from Veer: works fine.

What a relief. I came close to abandoning this wonderful little phone.
    Glad you got it working. I hadn't set one up in years, so I couldn't remember the procedure to set up the latest oauth and ubercalendar patches to try to help you. I have also found it a bit tricky to locate the right downloads and procedures. Thankfully I created a folder on one of my Veers (which exists somewhere on my many drives but I haven't located it) with the required patches on it. It had been long enough that I forgot how the initial setup works - I know it's documented in the thread, but I clearly didn't read it close enough yesterday when I was scratching my head thinking I had done something wrong. Long story short, since SSL on webOS 2.1 is useless, I doctored my other Veer to 2.2.4 and did the openssl, oauth, and ubercalendar setup so I could add my Gmail account. I had left it on 2.1.2 for testing, but there was no point anymore.