Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    My Veer died a while back and I finally got around to buying a replacement battery and swapping them out last week thinking it might be an easy fix but it's still seemingly dead. I've left it on a touchstone for several days without any signs of life and done the same with the Veer charger. Is this simple hardware failure due to age or does anyone have any ideas on what else I can try? The rest of my webOS devices have held up very well so I'd be surprised if the Veer was just dead.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Do you have any cheap multimeter to peek around ?
    And ... chances that the wireless charging coil is not properly connecting to the board circuit ?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Do you have any cheap multimeter to peek around ?
    And ... chances that the wireless charging coil is not properly connecting to the board circuit ?
    I don't have a multimeter but can look into buying one if it could help. I had the same thought about the wireless charging coil but that wouldn't affect the veer charging cable would it?
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I presume you have a functional charger cable. Take out the battery, plug the charger cable into the Veer and into a PC. If the Veer is okay, you should get a battery with a question mark symbol, perhaps, just like the other WebOS phones.. If you don't see anything, then maybe the phone itself is dead or is somehow no longer getting juice, in which case neither a new battery or a touchstone can help.
  5.    #5  
    Took the Veer apart again and removed the battery, verified both cables were attached correctly and tested with no battery and again with the battery with no luck. I guess this Veer really is dead then. Thanks for the advice.
    This thread had the right title so I've revived it, I hope no one minds.

How is everyone? Anyone?? Lol I never know if I'm going to see any signs of life when I come here. I hope any survivors are doing well!!

My once fully functional veer will not take a charge after being left in storage. I've managed to get the usb mode up, and initiated a doctor. It's connected, recognizes the battery is at 0%, and is attempting to charge it. But it's been quite a while and still at zero so I suspect battery is toast.

Suggestions? Input welcome.

Meanwhile my Pre3 battery is remarkably healthy. I'll take what I can get. Really enjoying just using for pandora right now, and I made a successful call too. I miss these phones so much.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Oh my goodness it's alive!

The veer is up to 8%. Now I'm wondering if I should try to prevent the doctor from running. It might be intact OS, idk. I don't want to wipe it if I don't have to, I probably won't be able to get it set up like it is again.

I'm going to leave it to a reasonable percentage and then maybe interrupt the process, which sounds just as scary as leaving it to continue.

And to think I used to do this kinda mad science with a device I actually relied upon. Lol this forum really helped me do some risky stuff back then
    MudShark22 likes this.
    Hah! So much for interrupting the process. I just looked over and saw the symbol for sending the doctor to do surgery. It's 64% done already.

Well I guess I'm going to keep trying to restore this little guy. Sure is cute; I wonder if it'll hold a charge at all though.
    Well that didn't go well. The doctor finished, I clicked done, and now veer is dead. Usb cable is at least giving me a low battery screen. I'll leave it overnight.

Always exciting playing with these phones. Like grenades!
    MudShark22 likes this.
    Progress! I pulled and reseated the battery, then hooked it to PC again. WOSQI sees it!! The phone has booted to the "check missing sim" screen. Because there's no sim at the moment.

I'm going to leave it connected as it seems happier connected to a PC than just a charger. I am able to open the novacom command window.

What should I type in at this point? Can I check anything from here? I have a root@webos-device:/# prompt.
    Battery seems to have taken a full charge. I'm rerunning the 2.24 doctor and hoping it bypasses activation to stop asking for a sim. I don't remember the process but I'm going to try to figure it out again
    Hey! I did it! Veer is alive again! I had to Cycle the dev mode to get it to take, and bypass the actv screen. I put in Preware and Museum2. Now I'm not sure what else is needed to make it work, like cert grabbers and stuff. I'll keep playing with it. If I can get this to be a little mobile Pandora player in a vehicle, I will. Any more tips on webOS in '21?
    jonwise80 and MudShark22 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Any more tips on webOS in '21?
    Lots here: Getting Online - webOS Docs
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    TJs11thPre and MudShark22 like this.
    Thanks, Jon!

I carried the Veer all day today, tied to my bt headset. Strangely, battery stayed at 100% all day so idk if that's functioning right. But I got a call and a text, and it felt like the good ol days for a little while. I showed it to a few people and they all took pictures of it with their own phones lol
    jonwise80 and MudShark22 like this.
    here's some of the struggles i'm having, trying to update a Pre3, Veer, and TPad...

- cannot get Grabber's GS root cert updater to install. It gives an ipk log error
    - cannot find rootcertupdater 1.0-2 in preware or museum2. i found the ipk, and trying to use wosqi; shows it installing, but the version on device does not update from 1.0-1
    - cannot find opensslupdater to install on veer. instructions have a link to add an alpha feed, but that instruction link is dead.

any tips on this are appreciated.

on a good note, i was able to successfully run the script for all devices to fix network time, by using the terminal window in wosqi. i hope it works!
    and, METUBE is working again yay!
    MudShark22 likes this.
    Veer died suddenly today; seems battery needs replacement. Not surprising.

But what IS surprising is the clock is not accurate. I cycled airplane mode, in case that was required for a time resync. But it seems this fix-npt script is not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Veer died suddenly today; seems battery needs replacement. Not surprising.

But what IS surprising is the clock is not accurate. I cycled airplane mode, in case that was required for a time resync. But it seems this fix-npt script is not working.
    If I remember correctly it was trying to get ntp from some palm or hp domain that's no longer there. Could probably be fixed with an entry in hosts file though

Sent from my Titan using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by poehoes View Post
    Yes, THIS is what I'm reporting does not work. I just typed that script into three devices. It's not updating from after the power is off
    Herrie! Good to see you are still around here! I hope you're doing well.
    Please update me if you find any TIME to make an update! =D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast