Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree20Likes
    My Pre3 is able to send MMS on T-Mobile using automatic settings, but it isn't receiving them. Same as TJ, no new attachment folders are appearing. Going to try my Pre+ if I can find it. LOL Edit: found it, and also found the post from Jan 2017 when I tested it, and just like my Pre3, it could send but not receive. The Pixi+ could both send and receive though (on 1.4.5).. Too bad everything else is broken on 1.x. :|

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/06/2018 at 08:08 PM.
    Hmmmmm Do either of you trying to send MMS have DIGITS activated on the line you are sending or receiving from? I've found with DIGITS active after about a week sending from my Pre3 doesn't work. My Pre3 actually sends the message, but something in T-Mobile's network screws it up. I still get MMS received (but I still haven't fixed/re-written the MMS service so that it actually gets the messages to the messaging app).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Just switched to tmobile. Sad about this

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Hmmmmm Do either of you trying to send MMS have DIGITS activated on the line you are sending or receiving from? I've found with DIGITS active after about a week sending from my Pre3 doesn't work. My Pre3 actually sends the message, but something in T-Mobile's network screws it up. I still get MMS received (but I still haven't fixed/re-written the MMS service so that it actually gets the messages to the messaging app).
    I'm not using DIGITS.
    Have you had any time to look at this? Would love to use my Pre3 on T-Mo. Though with re-farming, I'm probably better off using it on Tracfone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I've just reread the thread. It appears that the problem is with the message header t-mobile sends. webOS 2.x (and possibly earlier) fails to handle the exception, so although the message can be found in a folder, it doesn't register with the messaging app. It seemed that dkirker was close to a fix, but it seems it was never finished or maybe that was only the first problem!

Please correct the above if I've misunderstood.

As SMS/MMS is a core part of the system, this is an obvious problem for the user group and I can add it to the agenda for discussion. It might get a bit more attention. It's not going to be high priority - at least at the moment and of course, most of those who could fix it are already on this thread...

One possibility occurs to me: There must be MMS in webOS 3.x not only with the bluetooth connection to phones, but the 4G TouchPad. Quite possibly the same issue(s) exist there, but has anyone tested? Maybe the bug was fixed in the later version & back-porting could occur...?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/28/2019 at 01:51 AM.
    I know - I meant to specifically direct my question to dkirker, as he was working on a fix for the compiled code that has the bug in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I know - I meant to specifically direct my question to dkirker, as he was working on a fix for the compiled code that has the bug in it.
    Yes, I kind of got that. At the moment, attention is on the TLS problem which may be the death blow to the stock browser and web services if it isn't fixed. On the plus side, Herrie has restored some WebOS Internals packages which will help with efforts on patching and making the service pack meta-doctor.

Interestingly (or maybe not), I looked in my attachments folder and found some old images. Last week, a friend sent a picture, then a video. At my end, I got a familiar experience: One text message telling me I had been sent an MMS message with a website address to view it. This was followed by an SMS with an access code to input. I assume this is the fallback for 'dumb' phones or which lack MMS capability. So it seems there are circumstances where a message is delivered, but the MMS service fails and other circumstances where the failure is detected by the network and falls back to notifying via SMS.
    I was surprised to see a fairly recent posts regarding this; I too have just started having problems with MMS. I was able to receive send and receive with problems sporadically, they seemed to be related to signal strength. I received some pics and was able to send as recently as last week but now - nothing. I have tried various settings but cannot get the MMS to work. Is it possibly just a T-Mobile issue - would another carrier not have the same header problems as described above?
    I have WebOS ver 1.4.5 - would the header problem still be an issue?

Any input would be appreciated - still love my using my Pixi and still not ready to give it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by indusarts View Post
    I was surprised to see a fairly recent posts regarding this; I too have just started having problems with MMS. I was able to receive send and receive with problems sporadically, they seemed to be related to signal strength. I received some pics and was able to send as recently as last week but now - nothing. I have tried various settings but cannot get the MMS to work. Is it possibly just a T-Mobile issue - would another carrier not have the same header problems as described above?
    I have WebOS ver 1.4.5 - would the header problem still be an issue?

Any input would be appreciated - still love my using my Pixi and still not ready to give it up.
    If you read back (posts 31, 65, 69 for example) you can see that dkirker seems to have tracked down the issue. T-mobile is using a header that hits a bug in (a version of?) webOS. So hopefully this isn't an issue with other carriers.
    It's likely that 1.4.5 didn't have that issue.

When you fail to send or receive MMS, are you using wifi at the time? I know T-Mobile recently changed security settings for MMS with the roll-out of DIGITS. If you aren't on a T-Mobile IP address there is certain authentication that is required.

The technical dirty:
    Basically DIGITS uses the same technologies that VoIP uses, which is also what the IMS core network standards are based on. If you try to connect to http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc from a non-T-Mobile IP it expects you to authenticate to the core network in the same manner that DIGITS does. But, if you are connected using a T-Mobile IP, you don't need to do this. (I honestly haven't verified to see if it even connects to the same exact systems.)
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345