Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By tullius128
  1. GLO
    One of my Touchpads will not charge with a charging dock stand but does charge perfectly by cord. I've tried resets, but doesn't change, and multiple charging docks that will charge other Touchpads, so I know it's not a bad charging dock stand. I'm not very tech savvy to say the least, and I don't know why this might be. Anybody seen this before or have a clue?
    No one's replied, so I'll chime in with the bad news:

Its likely the charging coil is shot -- and can't be (easily) repaired. The coils aren't particularly rare or difficult to replace, but disassembling a full-size Touchpad is a scary proposition:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Touc...placement/6082

On the other hand, Touchpads can be had for cheap on eBay, if you really have to have Touchstone charging.
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos
  3. GLO
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
    Kind of interesting coincidence. My touchpad sat in the kitchen on its touchstone stand for almost a year in Exhibition cycling through a bunch of Accuweather cities. When Accuweather broke, I brought the TP up to my office, and set it aside - off the dock. When Accuweather started working again (THANKS! to all who worked on that) I set the TP back on the dock and....nothing. But like Glo, charges via USB. No way to test which is shot, TP or TS as I only have one of each. Never thought I'd but any additional webOS kit but I really liked my little weather station. Guess I'll go search ebay...
    Just bought a brand new sealed TouchPad Dock and a new in open box TouchPad. What the heck is wrong with me?
    Quote Originally Posted by tullius128 View Post
    Kind of interesting coincidence. My touchpad sat in the kitchen on its touchstone stand for almost a year... I set the TP back on the dock and....nothing.
    I have a theory about this.
    Inductive charging is incredibly inefficient and generates a lot of excess heat (waste). Heat accelerates the death of electronics. And inductive charging coils are paper thin.
    I suspect that 24/7 charging generates enough continuous heat that it degrades the coils over time.

Now I have a couple Touchpads that get this kind of use -- one is a digital picture frame about 90% of the day (except when I'm reading the morning news) and the other is now a permanently alarm clock. But I've employed a couple mitigations that I'm comparing...

• Picture frame Touchpad is on a "smart outlet" that turn on in the morning, off during the work day, on again the evening, and off again at night. The Touchpad gets about 6 hours of charging a day, and always has a happy battery, but it reduces total time on a warm coil.
    • Alarm clock Touchpad is connected to a USB charger that is a little less power than it would prefer: 1.8amps instead of 2.0 from the OEM adapter. It seems to run cooler as a result -- the Touchpad complains once per boot, but is otherwise fine with it.

Of course, I don't know if these ideas help. And besides, these are old pieces of equipment and if they spend their last years or months in a way that makes you happy, I say run them til they drop. But if you want to eke out a little more time, consider reducing the total time spent warm some how.
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos
    Does the TouchPad charge when plugged in to the same power brick that the TouchStone is plugged in to? I've had a few of those bricks die.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.