Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1. GLO
    On All 5 of myTouchpads, Accuweather.com froze in exhibition mode on 12/18/20. Other exhibition mode apps including CNN news works, so it is not a wifi problem, or an individual Touchpd problem, ss it happened to all 5 in the same day 12/18/20. Anybody have any idea why this has happened, and a way to fix?
    Global Posts
    730 Global Posts
    The same on my Touchpad. Probably Accuweather API was changed?
    The response from the API endpoint is coming back malformed -- but it is coming back. This suggests its not dead, just broken.
    I'll continue to investigate. A fix may be possible on the app side, or it could be some transient problem with the web service.

Update:
    The server says:
    Code:
    XML Parsing Error: no root element found
    Location: http://blstreamhptablet.accu-weather.com/widget/blstreamhptablet/weather-data.asp?location=cityId:11111
    Line Number 691, Column 16:
    						<sunrise>
    ---------------------------------------------------------^
    But that's a result error, not a body error, so we can't repair it with a proxy, or some pre-parse patch on the client side.

The client (app) says:
    Code:
    info: AccuWeather.WeatherModel.xmlRequestCallback_():  received server response: null, /usr/palm/frameworks/enyo/1.0/framework/build/enyo-build.jsjsjs:$72$
    $error$: $Uncaught$ $TypeError$: $Cannot$ $call$ $method$ '$getElementsByTagName$' $of$ $null$, $app$/$src$/$WeatherModel$.$js$:$179$
    Update with conclusions: This is an issue with their "legacy API"; the app depends on an XML response, which is somehow getting mangled on the server-side. Likely someone pushed a breaking change at the end of their work-day (never deploy on a Friday!)
    I've emailed their support, we'll see if anyone there still cares. Fortunately, other legacy users are probably impacted -- since I doubt anyone is doing maintenance just on the webOS endpoint -- so there's a good chance this will get repaired...although maybe not until after the holidays :(

Don't give up your TouchPads yet, folks. We're keeping this platform alive! Previous repair thread here.
    Last edited by jonwise80; 12/21/2020 at 10:46 AM.
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    dmlis and gazaud like this.
  4. GLO
    I exchanged emails with Betsy at Accuweather Customer Support, who says they have discontinued support for webOS, but hinted that if they get enough complaints, it possibly could be reinstated. I miss having instantaneously updating weather reports visible from 5-10 feet away by placing my tabllets on charging docks and displaying Accuweather in exhibition mode. I'm not aware of any other weather app that works in exhibition mode. Please write to support@accuweather.com from your Touchpads and let them know webOS is not just being used by LG televisions, and ask them to resume support of webOS.
    gazaud and dmlis like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLO View Post
    who says they have discontinued support for webOS
    That may be, but the API is still there -- just busted. I suspect all we need is enough legacy API customer's complaining. Nonetheless, I will add my voice via email!
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    Quote Originally Posted by GLO View Post
    I exchanged emails with Betsy at Accuweather Customer Support, who says they have discontinued support for webOS, but hinted that if they get enough complaints, it possibly could be reinstated. I miss having instantaneously updating weather reports visible from 5-10 feet away by placing my tabllets on charging docks and displaying Accuweather in exhibition mode. I'm not aware of any other weather app that works in exhibition mode. Please write to support@accuweather.com from your Touchpads and let them know webOS is not just being used by LG televisions, and ask them to resume support of webOS.
    Never ever mention a dead operating system in a support request! Fastest way to get it ignored or a "we don't support webOS anymore" response!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Never ever mention a dead operating system in a support request
    Probably true. Our best bet to get their attention is the Legacy API support channel. I'm still holding out hope that they will fix it -- that API was offered to "Enterprise" customers, so hopefully there are others impacted (and complaining!)
    Failing that, it should be possible to construct a proxy API that reads from another source (maybe their modern JSON API) and translates it into the expected XML. It'd be brute force and painful (unless someone has their XML schema, or an archived payload?) but possible...

If they don't fix it by the time I clear out the rest of my project backlog, I'll take a stab at it.

Update: Just got a reply from their developer support...

Thank you for your message. The API endpoint you shared is actually a non-public legacy API that has been deprecated and is no longer supported by our teams. The location database that serves it is no longer updated, and the endpoint itself will soon reach an “end of life”.
    For access to our latest AccuWeather API content, we would recommend signing up at https://developer.accuweather.com/. Also, can you please confirm the webOS app you are referring to?
    It does look like a more thoughtful reply than the typical customer service route, so I've outlined the use case, offered to help offload the work of an API migration, and renewed my plea for help. Fingers crossed...
    Last edited by jonwise80; 12/21/2020 at 11:02 AM.
    dmlis likes this.
    Latest reply...

Thank you for your dedication and commitment to our AccuWeather products. We do appreciate that. We also understand your current situation and apologize for any inconvenience at this time. We did check with our team and unfortunately confirmed that at this time there are no plans to roll back the changes that impacted the legacy API feed – as it was done as part of a system clean up for legacy items. We are sorry.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Haven't been on the site for months now. Signed on to see if I was the only one who lost Accuweather. Bummer. Well, it couldn't last forever I guess. Had the Touchpad on exhibition in the kitchen cycling through the weather in all the various cities where kids and grandkids reside. I can't stand the thought of putting it away and letting the battery die. Guess it's final stage of life will be as a digital picture frame. My addiction to orphan hardware and operating systems is over I think, but webOS will likely always be my favorite.
    There was a previous app - I forget, maybe Google maps? The API broke or needed a code (monetization time!). Developers needed to sign up to make apps and there were a number of requests per period allowed before significant fees applied. Someone fixed the app, but the big unknown was how many users and API requests were out there - a financial risk for anyone offering the fix. The proposed solution was for every user to sign up as a Google dev and get individual codes that they could then add to the patched app. This make everyone responsible for their own access, but as individuals, unlikely to breach the free request limit.

At https://developer.accuweather.com/ it says, "Limited Trial access allows each developer up to 50 calls per day. " That might still not be enough for an exhibition mode use (what's the auto-update frequency?), but might be the only use-able option.

I was wondering if there might be a set of basic APIs available for free, but I don't see that on a brief look. There is a 'free' option with slightly limited options - probably enough for a basic app, but that is the rate limited option.

I think it was Google maps and one other suggestion (it may have been me) was to spoof a request from a googlemaps web page. i.e. Pretend to be Google's own webpage in a browser, then take the response to run the app. I don't think this was ever tried. I have no idea if it's even technically possible, but I don't recall being told it wasn't. It might however have been tempting fate to try to cheat Google - even on a tiny scale.

The final option is to visit their site with a browser, then pull the bookmark to the launcher pages.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/21/2020 at 11:48 PM.
    If I can get YouTube working again, I'm 100% certain we can restore AccuWeather. I asked them again for a schema. Failing that, we just go function-by-function, figure out what the app is looking for and how to provide it. I'll hack a proof of concept after Christmas.

gazaud and dmlis like this.
    Likely final response from their obstructionist support team:

"We unfortunately can not share the schema docs directly with end users per our agreements with our partner companies. Also, all the functionality of the widget should be available in our Android App. The Android App actually has more content with the use of interactive radar tiles and other map layers, our 4-hour MinuteCast product, and detailed forecast information with historical normals for each day."

I sent back a firmly worded request for escalation, but expect that they won't care. I'm all the more motivated to build a work-around. I'll have basic weather back in the app by the end of the year, with or without their help.

Quote Originally Posted by jonwise80 View Post
    If I can get YouTube working again, I'm 100% certain we can restore AccuWeather. I asked them again for a schema. Failing that, we just go function-by-function, figure out what the app is looking for and how to provide it. I'll hack a proof of concept after Christmas.

You are aware of LuneTube right? https://preware.pivotce.com/package/com.emsoft.lunetube

Sent from my Titan using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwise80 View Post
    Likely final response from their obstructionist support team:

"We unfortunately can not share the schema docs directly with end users per our agreements with our partner companies. Also, all the functionality of the widget should be available in our Android App. The Android App actually has more content with the use of interactive radar tiles and other map layers, our 4-hour MinuteCast product, and detailed forecast information with historical normals for each day."

I sent back a firmly worded request for escalation, but expect that they won't care. I'm all the more motivated to build a work-around. I'll have basic weather back in the app by the end of the year, with or without their help.

It should be easy enough to take the Android APK and get the needed calls and keys from there

Sent from my Titan using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It should be easy enough to take the Android APK and get the needed calls and keys from there
    Yup, we can figure this out.
    That's said, the support agent I talked to agreed to escalate to senior management. I will hold on any work-around until they make their final call.

Just as a side note, the rain radar tab in our Accuweather app quit working quite some time ago. Hopefully this proposed solution would fix that.
    Maybe an alternative on Touchpad and Pre3 : wetter.com app

Not very convenient (german language and only Celsius degree...) but it seems to do the job.
    jonwise80 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It broke. Not sure if it got fixed...
    https://forums.webosnation.com/luneo...ml#post3456509
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    It broke. Not sure if it got fixed...
    Nope. I found the dev on Twitter. He hasn't had time to fix it. My solution has a longer life expectancy anyway ;-)

Weather news coming soon.

gazaud likes this.
    The XML web service is back up! This may be a short term gift from the dev team -- grabbing payload examples while I can!

One thing to call out: they said the location database was going down soon, they didn't say the legacy API was dead yet. Examining the code indicates there are numerous end point URLs that provide similar payloads, so I would suggest that you configure location on your webOS devices ASAP. If you want, sent me your location by PM, and I'll start building a backup database, so we can patch that part of the experience if/when it goes down again.
    Last edited by jonwise80; 12/25/2020 at 12:08 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast