Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ethan61
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  • 3 Post By ethan61
  1.    #1  
    I've just bought a brand new HP Touchpad. It appears to be forgotten old stock from a Carphone Warehouse store.

Very cool and feel very lucky to have a brand new TP 9 years later, but I've run into an issue.

For whatever reason, it just won't turn on.

It's been on charge for god knows how long, and it just won't do anything.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to why this would be happening?

Really want to get it up and running
    hello,

there are various threads about this... the issue has always been linked to the battery / battery controller. If the battery goes too down ( practically at 0 ), it's then unable to trigger a start and recharge.
    The solution, going by memory, is using a 1A charger ( the touchpad uses a 2A charger ) , or even probably a slightly weaker one vs 1A, to slowly charge it "gently" ... should take a day or two.

It's not broken, it can be revived with patience.

This said, you got a real stroke of luck.... i've tried to get one at the firesale but without luck. Is it the 16gb model or ?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    hello,

there are various threads about this... the issue has always been linked to the battery / battery controller. If the battery goes too down ( practically at 0 ), it's then unable to trigger a start and recharge.
    The solution, going by memory, is using a 1A charger ( the touchpad uses a 2A charger ) , or even probably a slightly weaker one vs 1A, to slowly charge it "gently" ... should take a day or two.

It's not broken, it can be revived with patience.

This said, you got a real stroke of luck.... i've tried to get one at the firesale but without luck. Is it the 16gb model or ?
    Well that's a relief, thank you for your help!

I've switched over to a bog standard phone charger now, hopefully it'll show some signs of life in a couple days.

The home button has lit up now which I assume means it knows it's being charged?

It is a 16gb model, the same guy I bought it from still has a second one available, I don't know if its against any rules to share the info though, and I wouldn't want you to think I'm trying to sell you anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan61 View Post
    Well that's a relief, thank you for your help!

I've switched over to a bog standard phone charger now, hopefully it'll show some signs of life in a couple days.

The home button has lit up now which I assume means it knows it's being charged?

It is a 16gb model, the same guy I bought it from still has a second one available, I don't know if its against any rules to share the info though, and I wouldn't want you to think I'm trying to sell you anything.
    The home button lighting up is a good sign. Is it steadily lit or moving back and forth?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The home button lighting up is a good sign. Is it steadily lit or moving back and forth?
    It's moving back and forth, what does that mean?

I just read a thread about using a tool on Ubuntu to un-brick it, that's surely not the same issue that I'm having if I've got a new device, right?
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan61 View Post
    It's moving back and forth, what does that mean?

I just read a thread about using a tool on Ubuntu to un-brick it, that's surely not the same issue that I'm having if I've got a new device, right?
    It means it is alive and charging. Be patient and give it time. The first time I had this happen, it took all day for the low battery symbol to appear on the screen and then charge enough to boot up.
    Should the OP switch to the stock charger now the light is on? I'm wondering if there might now be the opposite problem of the controller waking up and now limiting charge as it's not the correct charger. I don't think I've ever needed to do this procedure. Maybe someone who has can clarify.

I haven't turned on my TP for a while, so I'm reminded to give it a top up - these Lithium Ion batteries are supposed to be stored at half charge to best maintain life.
    kataran and Grabber5.0 like this.
    It has been a while.. (but more recent than I care to admit) I don't remember if it will continue flashing if moved to the TP charger or not. I know I don't move them until the low battery symbol is shown.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Imho being patient is always better. What's waiting a day more, looking at the bigger picture ?
    Preemptive likes this.
  10.    #10  
    I did switch to the normal charger after 24 hours after seeing many other confusing and conflicting threads about this issue. Thankfully after 36 hours it is finally up and running!!

Thank you all for your help and input, many other forums I've been a part of have been much less welcoming to a newcomer, so thank you all!
    Grabber5.0, mazzinia and Misj' like this.
    Rock!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.