Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Misj'
  • 2 Post By Misj'
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

about a week ago, my trusty Touchpad stopped connecting to the internet. It still connects to my WiFi (I've tested four different WiFi connections). But it doesn't seem to connect to the internet itself. I've tested the same connection with my spare device; and it's connecting correctly. Does anyone have an idea how to best analyse this problem (right now I don't know if it's a software or hardware issue; though I kinda expect the former).

I would prefer not to doctor it unless I really have to; as it's running smoothly (apart from this specific problem).

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Same happened to my TP years ago and it was hardware related.
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Hi,

about a week ago, my trusty Touchpad stopped connecting to the internet. It still connects to my WiFi (I've tested four different WiFi connections). But it doesn't seem to connect to the internet itself. I've tested the same connection with my spare device; and it's connecting correctly. Does anyone have an idea how to best analyse this problem (right now I don't know if it's a software or hardware issue; though I kinda expect the former).

I would prefer not to doctor it unless I really have to; as it's running smoothly (apart from this specific problem).

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I assume you've done reboots and checked the settings etc. I'm sure you know the obvious checks better than I.

What is the spare device? Another TP? Do you know if the issue is specific to that particular TP?

I suppose the first thing to establish is if this is some kind of configuration problem either on the TP (I guess you didn't change anything) or possibly in the router (is the ISP able to update it remotely?). If you have another webOS device that is working fine and no settings have been changed, then that would suggest a software error or fault.

I remember occasionally being able to fix sound issues by running the built in tests (device info menu). A bit quicker than rebooting. Perhaps something there can offer insight? Otherwise, I hope someone else has a better suggestion, because if other webOS devices are still working fine, it starts to look like doctoring time.

The poster above mentions a H/W problem, but isn't specific about if it was repairable in any way. I'm wondering what would prevent internet access if wifi connection is OK. Some routers use a web page to control settings. Can you access that or something similar (internal to the router to prove there is data transfer)?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    What is the spare device? Another TP? Do you know if the issue is specific to that particular TP?
    Yes. A TP 16gb vs my default 32gb. So that should be comparable.

I suppose the first thing to establish is if this is some kind of configuration problem either on the TP (I guess you didn't change anything) or possibly in the router (is the ISP able to update it remotely?).
    I've tested it both with my current modem/router and with my old WiFi router (which still works, but is slow). And as stated above the spare is another TP. So I think I can conclude the issue is specific to this device.

WiFi Network Scanner has no problem detecting an abundance of WiFi's. But then again, that as expected as the device didn't appear to have any problem finding and connecting to my router.

Additional test 1:
    I suddenly realized that I also have an Android installation on the 32gb that I never use (and thus completely forgot about; I had just been to lazy to get rid of it). So I tried connecting from there to the same connection. And it works. So the good thing is: that should mean that it's not a hardware issue...which is great, because that the option of doctoring is at least on the table (I would not doctor it if I had to get everything working without WiFi).

Additional test 2:
    I ran a ping in wTerm to both banneret and webosnation with 0% packet loss. So that implies that the actual connection (also to the internet) is working...it's just that the OS isn't handling it correctly.

So...I've diagnosed the problem as a software failure on the device that is (probably) not in the underlying Linux distribution but somewhere in webOS itself...I think. So yeah...I'm a little further in my diagnosis. Just still have no idea where to look for the solution.
  5.    #5  
    At the WebOS-user group meetup (see Preemtive's signature), Nizovn proposed a solution:
    just have a crazy idea about your wifi problem, maybe you have proxy forwarding enabled on your TP, with non-working proxy server
    Now, I did not expect this to work, as during my tests I had turned the ProxySwitch (and Squidd SSL Bump) on and off. And this did not resolve the issue.

However, not one to ignore possible solutions, I went into ProxySwitch and pressed the 'Turn Proxy Off' without turning it on first. And it turns out Nizovn was right. Apparently - despite several restarts, and turning the proxy on and off before - there was still something active in the background. So thank you guys for all your help. It really was a lifesaver (at least the life of my TouchPad).

Cheer mate!
    Hello.
    Finally I decided to install LuneOS on my TouchPad.
    The system is up and working, the wifi connection is up but no chance to reach internet.
    I can't find a way to modify the proxy. In fact there's no proxy in this network.
    What should I do ?
    Thank you very much for your attention !

PS
    The LuneOS version is the EggnogLatte (build 96).

PS 2
    Far more important, the same problem is affecting also webOS: the connection to the local network works but there's no chance to reach internet (through Preware).
    Last edited by saxondani; 02/26/2020 at 06:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by saxondani View Post
    PS 2
    Far more important, the same problem is affecting also webOS: the connection to the local network works but there's no chance to reach internet (through Preware).
    Reference to the proxy above: It's a work around for transport security - it is an internal proxy. I don't know if your problem is similar to the one above.

LuneOS does not require this proxy as it is an up to date system, but LuneOS is alpha software, still in development. Bug reports should be made on the release thread or you can message the developers on the IRC channel.

That both systems have the same problem suggests either a problem at the router or a hardware problem. That said, one system is old and requires many patches to work properly, the other is again under development, so it's possible there are two different errors with the same consequence.
    Thank you Preemptive.
    You are right. They are two different errors with the same consequence.

1. webOS
    Today I realized that Preware randomly reach some of the servers. I will try to better understand the problem.

2. LuneOS
    In this case there are no chance at all. I will write to the IRC channel and I'll be back in case of a solution.

Again, thank you very much.