Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AlexNoyle
  • 1 Post By NIN_ru
  • 1 Post By AlexNoyle
  1.    #1  
    Being on an ARM system, I've gone through the process of building novacomd and all of it's dependencies (since the standard .deb package is for Intel64). Everything eventually worked, and I have a novacomd binary in /usr/local/webos/usr/sbin/novacomd that launches. However, when I tried to run devicetool.jar or WebOS Quick Install, it couldn't detect a device. So I did some investigating.
    Code:
    sudo service novacomd status
    reveals the following:

    Code:
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Novacom WebOS daemon.
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: module (nyxDeviceInfoMain.module) does not exist
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: in /usr/local/webos/usr/lib/nyx/modules
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: [2019/1/12 20:27:56] failed to open gadgetfs ep0 node - retry
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: nor in  /usr/local/webos/usr/lib/nyx/modules.mock
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: {novacomd}: (2.0.0) ep0_thread:377: entry: self 971
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: {novacomd}: (2.0.0) failed to open gadgetfs ep0 node - retry
    Jan 12 20:27:57 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: [2019/1/12 20:27:57] failed to open gadgetfs ep0 node - retry
    Jan 12 20:27:57 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: {novacomd}: (2.0.0) failed to open gadgetfs ep0 node - retry
    Jan 12 20:28:00 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: [2019/1/12 20:28:00] failed to open gadgetfs 5 times - giving up on usb
    Jan 12 20:28:00 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: {novacomd}: (2.0.0) failed to open gadgetfs 5 times - giving up on usb
    I searched all over, and could only find one thread relating to a similar issue. I'm at a loss for what to do. I can't use my touchpad at all if I can't restore it, and to do that I first need to get novacomd talking to it. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Preemptive likes this.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexNoyle View Post
    Being on an ARM system, I've gone through the process of building novacomd and all of it's dependencies (since the standard .deb package is for Intel64). Everything eventually worked, and I have a novacomd binary in /usr/local/webos/usr/sbin/novacomd that launches. However, when I tried to run devicetool.jar or WebOS Quick Install, it couldn't detect a device. So I did some investigating.
    Code:
    sudo service novacomd status
    reveals the following:

    Code:
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Novacom WebOS daemon.
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: module (nyxDeviceInfoMain.module) does not exist
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: in /usr/local/webos/usr/lib/nyx/modules
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: [2019/1/12 20:27:56] failed to open gadgetfs ep0 node - retry
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: nor in  /usr/local/webos/usr/lib/nyx/modules.mock
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: {novacomd}: (2.0.0) ep0_thread:377: entry: self 971
    Jan 12 20:27:56 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: {novacomd}: (2.0.0) failed to open gadgetfs ep0 node - retry
    Jan 12 20:27:57 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: [2019/1/12 20:27:57] failed to open gadgetfs ep0 node - retry
    Jan 12 20:27:57 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: {novacomd}: (2.0.0) failed to open gadgetfs ep0 node - retry
    Jan 12 20:28:00 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: [2019/1/12 20:28:00] failed to open gadgetfs 5 times - giving up on usb
    Jan 12 20:28:00 raspberrypi novacomd[967]: {novacomd}: (2.0.0) failed to open gadgetfs 5 times - giving up on usb
    I searched all over, and could only find one thread relating to a similar issue. I'm at a loss for what to do. I can't use my touchpad at all if I can't restore it, and to do that I first need to get novacomd talking to it. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Nyx modules were only introduced in Open webOS as far as I'm aware. So Nyx didn't exist in legacy webOS as far as I know. So seeing that you get nyx in your logs, I assume you used the novacomd version from Open webOS, which probably differs (somewhat) from the legacy webOS version?

    I might be wrong, but that's my first hunch.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Nyx modules were only introduced in Open webOS as far as I'm aware. So Nyx didn't exist in legacy webOS as far as I know. So seeing that you get nyx in your logs, I assume you used the novacomd version from Open webOS, which probably differs (somewhat) from the legacy webOS version?

    I might be wrong, but that's my first hunch.
    You're right, I did use the openwebos version. Is the older version's source available anywhere?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexNoyle View Post
    You're right, I did use the openwebos version. Is the older version's source available anywhere?
    Not really, only binaries it seems. If it's just to Doctor the TP I would find a regular Windows/Linux PC and do it there. Will be quickest really.

    Other option is to decompile the binaries from Palm and compare the sources to see if you can see what has changed, but that's quite some work to be honest.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by https://github.com/webOS-ports/nyx-modules/blob/webOS-ports/master/README.md
    Description
    The nyx-modules repository is a collection of device specific modules for supporting different functionalities like charging, display, keypad, touchscreen. Currently it supports the emulator versions (qemux86 and qemuarm). However it is extensible in design to add modules for any new device.
    So, asking from ignorance, what is the ideal solution?
    • Adding nyx modules to OwOS for the legacy devices? (which might require knowledge of the original code or MitM analysis of signalling)
    • Patching something to respond to a Nyx module on the legacy device itself? (which might involve the same problems)
    • Compiling the original code for ARM? (again, decompilation likely required)

    novacomd for ARM could be a useful thing to have, but reading the above, it does seem that borrowing an x86 machine is the most direct way so fix up an old device.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    So, asking from ignorance, what is the ideal solution?
    • Adding nyx modules to OwOS for the legacy devices? (which might require knowledge of the original code or MitM analysis of signalling)
    • Patching something to respond to a Nyx module on the legacy device itself? (which might involve the same problems)
    • Compiling the original code for ARM? (again, decompilation likely required)

    novacomd for ARM could be a useful thing to have, but reading the above, it does seem that borrowing an x86 machine is the most direct way so fix up an old device.
    Nyx is on a very low level in the OS, so it's not easy to integrate it in legacy.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexNoyle View Post
    You're right, I did use the openwebos version. Is the older version's source available anywhere?
    I'm using novacomd built from these sources (jdieter/novacomd) on my amd64 laptop, and it does work well. Not sure about arm though.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN_ru View Post
    I'm using novacomd built from these sources (jdieter/novacomd) on my amd64 laptop, and it does work well. Not sure about arm though.
    When I try to build jdieter/novacomd on arm, the compiler complains that the file usb.h is missing from src/host/. How did you get past that? I can't find usb.h in any branch of novacomd.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexNoyle View Post
    When I try to build jdieter/novacomd on arm, the compiler complains that the file usb.h is missing from src/host/. How did you get past that? I can't find usb.h in any branch of novacomd.
    usb.h comes with libusb headers. So if you are using e.g. ubuntu, you just need to install libusb-dev package. You may also want to build only host novacomd ("make host" command).
    Preemptive likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Got it. After installing libusb-dev, messing with a bunch of gcc-related symlinks, and commenting out a couple broken lines of code, novacomd builds and *runs* on armhf (Raspberry Pi 3 for example).

    Here you can try it yourself: https://github.com/NotAlexNoyle/novacomd https://github.com/NotAlexNoyle/nova...ases/tag/armhf

    2019-02-18-013032_1024x768_scrot.png

    As far as I know, this is the first time a Touchpad and a Raspberry Pi have interfaced like this. I can think of some cool possibilities.
    Preemptive likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Pre, Pre3 (International), Touchpad for Sale
    By jonwise80 in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03/11/2019, 06:01 PM
  2. Instagram for Pre3 (not really)
    By jonwise80 in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01/03/2019, 02:16 PM
  3. HP Touchpad touchscreen issues on kernel 3.4
    By Jamesbarness in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12/10/2018, 02:30 AM
  4. Novacom command list for the HP Touchpad
    By HP_TOUCHPAD_LuneOS in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12/06/2018, 08:06 PM
  5. 4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
    By Sagar Venugopal in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10/19/2018, 07:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions