Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    In an instance of everything old is new again, it looks like Amazon has rediscovered the Touchstone idea and Exhibition mode. https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Show-Mode-Charging-Generation/dp/B07BNXZDJ3
    ...though it appears to have contacts rather than wireless charging. But I suppose that may actually be more efficient as long as it always lines up to the contacts - perhaps magnetically?
    well, a samsung smartwatch I saw has 1) wireless charging ( no contacts ) and 2) magnetic lock on the charger ( as with a pre/pre2 you can lift the charger with the watch hanging on the bottom ).

PS
    Technically the idea and realization was Palm's , hp just got involved at the very end
    Yes, I think the unreleased bluetooth-audio 'Touchstone2' Charger was developed whilst under HP..
    I guess Apotheker just wanted his 'own' OS, just 'cos Apple/M'soft/Google also did!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Why are you saying "HP was so ahead of its time"? Palm introduced the Touchstone years before HP bought them and shut the whole thing down. Meg Whitman has ruined everything she has ever touched, a long list but most notably eBay and HP, it was her decision alone to **** can WebOS and the Palm Pre, after HP paid 1.2 billion dollars to buy it.
    Yes exactly.. but surely Whitman was only there at all, directly because Apotheker had just previously thrown his massively destructive 'wobbly', by withdrawing all webOS devices from the Global market in the first place?

I think I am also correct in assuming that the lovely 'Touchstone2' Charger/Audio Dock device (see below pic + Pre3) was however further developed entirely whilst under the auspices of this (disasterous) 'HP' tenureship?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/26/2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Sp.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    In her defence, I'd say Apotheker killed webOS. Given the place of webOS in the market, it was arguably the correct move, but was as badly handled as many previous decisions by Palm & HP. Impossible to say if things could have been different, but in 2009 many agreed webOS was better than iOS & streets ahead of Android. But both Apple & Google had better strategies and more money than Palm.

Whitman also authorised the open-sourcing process, which was months of work. HP could have done more, but they could also have done a lot less.
    Mutoidi likes this.