Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Google Location Services seems to be working again as of this morning (around 11AM CDT/4PM GMT). 72ka's app works and centers properly. Dash Weather also works, and Localscope (well, the location part of it anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by krotech View Post
    Google Location Services seems to be working again as of this morning (around 11AM CDT/4PM GMT). 72ka's app works and centers properly. Dash Weather also works, and Localscope (well, the location part of it anyway).
    Did you have GPS off? Make sure Use GPS is off, reboot, and try again. I tried that and it didn't work. Still get the same error "All requests failed because an invalid protocol version was detected in the response".
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    So, turn off "Use GPS" but leave "Google Services" on? I'll try that.

Earlier, GPS was on. In Location Services, I turned off Google Services a couple of days ago and tried to use some of the GPS-reliant apps just off of the TP 4G's GPS, but they still didn't work. WebOSM would even crash the tablet if I tried to run it. Between a couple of forced reboots, I turned Google Location on again. I couldn't tell you if I did anything else, but it was working all day.

I just turned on one of my TP Go's, one I've barely played with (I keep meaning to ask someone how to take a system image of it before I load it up, since it has 3.0.6 on it), and I just checked Location Services on it. Google Services has never been turned on, and there's an opt-in window that pops up when I open it. I didn't turn it on. Can I send you anything from when I do? Would that help? I always feel badly that I can't do much to help with anything around here, and I'd like to if I could.
    Quote Originally Posted by krotech View Post
    So, turn off "Use GPS" but leave "Google Services" on? I'll try that.

Earlier, GPS was on. In Location Services, I turned off Google Services a couple of days ago and tried to use some of the GPS-reliant apps just off of the TP 4G's GPS, but they still didn't work. WebOSM would even crash the tablet if I tried to run it. Between a couple of forced reboots, I turned Google Location on again. I couldn't tell you if I did anything else, but it was working all day.

I just turned on one of my TP Go's, one I've barely played with (I keep meaning to ask someone how to take a system image of it before I load it up, since it has 3.0.6 on it), and I just checked Location Services on it. Google Services has never been turned on, and there's an opt-in window that pops up when I open it. I didn't turn it on. Can I send you anything from when I do? Would that help? I always feel badly that I can't do much to help with anything around here, and I'd like to if I could.
    Yeah.... If the device has a hard GPS fix, it will favor that. More accurate. I am sitting by a window at work, so I can get a ok GPS fix from my desk. I know exactly what the issue is with the Google service. The API endpoint still exists, but it looks like it just has not been updated, so it sends something back to the phone that is the incorrect version and the phone just dumps it. :/ I'm working out a fix from two sides; force the phone to use a custom location proxy that will translate to Google's new API, and just re-implement Location Services. (Hopefully sharing with LuneOS, but we'll see.)
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive, Misj' and gazaud like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Yeah.... If the device has a hard GPS fix, it will favor that. More accurate. I am sitting by a window at work, so I can get a ok GPS fix from my desk. I know exactly what the issue is with the Google service. The API endpoint still exists, but it looks like it just has not been updated, so it sends something back to the phone that is the incorrect version and the phone just dumps it. :/ I'm working out a fix from two sides; force the phone to use a custom location proxy that will translate to Google's new API, and just re-implement Location Services. (Hopefully sharing with LuneOS, but we'll see.)
    I uninstalled and reinstalled and the location request came up and it acted appropriately..
    Just a quick thought: Given the title of the thread, do MS have a location service? Or maybe Here maps?

I'm not saying that making a fix to use these in place of Google will be easier (though it might be if gmaps is hidden in play services), but also if they are open APIs, they could be optional 'plugins' to the rewritten service described above.
    Just a note from the last meeting: It was reported that LuneOS uses a service called Geo-clue, which can support Google & Mozilla location services. However, it requires Dbus & systemd, so may be too much effort to port to webOS (though I have a feeling Qupzilla may use Dbus).

Misj' managed to get a app to use Mozilla services, so it may be a case of using a similar technique at the system level.
    I just noticed something from the page about the Qt browser
    https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtlocation-index.html

Any use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I just noticed something from the page about the Qt browser
    https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtlocation-index.html

Any use?
    Comment on the Qt browser thread suggests the QT option may need a back end service.
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN_ru View Post
    QtLocation needs valid backend for work. LuneOS uses ls2 location service for this. I think it makes more sense that qt apps use webos location service than location service uses qtlocation with some other backend. Anyway someone needs to get geoclue to work.
    So we are back to... Geoclue!

Here's a link to that: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/geocl...lue/wikis/home
    I saw this from last month. Perhaps developers of alternative mobile operating systems would want to do something...
    Coder's Log: Geoclue 2.5 & repeating call for help
    Just a note from the last user group meeting: There is a possibility that the GPS will fail in April. If this happens, it's unclear if a fix will be possible. It is therefore possible that navigation could in effect be killed on legacy webOS.

The IP location service will still have value for approximate location by websites or mapping applications that don't require the accuracy of GPS and also of course when inside & out of range of the satellites. But these services work best together - either for planning prior to travel or to roughly locate while the GPS seeks the satellite signals.

So GPS can handle all requirements, though you may have to go outside and wait to find the satellite, IP location is often quicker and more convenient if accuracy isn't vital. Currently, GPS works and IP location is probably fixable, but we could be looking at a situation where location services don't work at all.

Of course, the flipside is that GPS continues to work or can be fixed and IP location is fixed. Then everything will be back to normal!
    Wow, so much to talk about here. Back in 2014 I started a similar thread https://forums.webosnation.com/palm-...t-working.html when Google Location Services (GLS) suddenly quit working on my ol' faithful Pre 2. I never really figured out why, but after a couple of months it magically came back, and I did find a workaround during the dark period. On my original Verizon Pre plus, Verizon thought they could get away with disabling the GPS receiver in order to force you to subscribe to their VZ Navigator app., this is why we had the the GPS keep alive app for a while, but they lost a class action lawsuit and weren't allowed to do that in the future. One of the reasons I upgraded to the Pre 2 was that GPS worked flawlessly, as long as GLS was available, no keep alive app was needed. In the early days, the GPS constellation provided a rather weak signal, and it was time consuming to acquire enough satellites for an accurate location, this is why GLS was needed, once GLS provided a rough location, your navigation app could do the math and figure out where to look for the satellites, making acquisition and an accurate GPS location much quicker. In 2010 they started launching the block II satellites and single strength gradually got much better, that combined with higher sensitivity receivers made satellite acquisition much much easier. To this day, as we speak, my Pre 3 very accurately locates me through the roof of my house, and since day one I have never ever enabled GLS on the Pre 3, the GPS receiver simply works that good. I have high hopes that the Pre 3 receiver is block II compliant, and we won't have the rollover issue, the Pre 2 and earlier might have a problem. Right now, all location based apps on my Pre 3 work fine, except of course our beloved Google Maps app, and that's only because I loath the thought of giving Google a credit card number in order to get an API key. Of course saying that Bing Maps works fine is a lot like saying that my Commodore 64 works fine, it does work fine, but it's not very useful. Being a Verizon customer, I still have the option of using VZ Navigator, it actually works ok, but they still charge you $4 a month to use the app, do I want to pay that evil giant corporation, or give Google a credit card number that will likely never be charged ... it's a dilemma.
    For the last couple of weeks google maps hangs at "waiting for your location". I've turned on and off gps and location services to no avail. Anyone else?
    Not only Google Maps, navit doesn't finds my Location either.
    Hmm, Navit works for me, so does Bing, VZ Navigator, SimpleGPS Pro, Mojo tracker, Mini Map, pretty much everything location based, but our Google maps app is doing what he said, "waiting for location"
    I gave it another try. Navit works, it only needs a very long time (something between 10 and 45 Minutes). I think because of the bad weather conditions.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Buy why? There is any reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimroth999 View Post
    I gave it another try. Navit works, it only needs a very long time (something between 10 and 45 Minutes). I think because of the bad weather conditions.
    I just went out for a test.

It may be superstition, but I've an idea in my head that having wifi on may help the GPS connect - possibly because the receivers are integrated on the same chip. But this idea may stem from the fact that when the Google internet location service was working, you could get a rough, but quick location while the GPS was finding satellites.

Anyway, the wifi was on (but we know internet location isn't working). The GPS connected within 2 minutes, but nothing much happened. I considered that all green bars (in Navit) might mean that there was signal, but no useful data being exhanged. I selected a new destination and the route was calculated immediately. So it seems to be working fine!

The next user group meeting is on Sunday the 14th. If anyone wants to help fix access to the Google location API (or substitute another internet location service), it's one of the things we hope to do.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/08/2019 at 11:33 AM.
    The problem was the weather and walls. Indoors in the living room the veer needs tremendous amounts of time to find any signal. Outside and in the bedroom its a matter of seconds

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    It may be, besides weather conditions and number of visible satellites, time to GPS fix at first is an issue of cold, warm or hot GPS start: https://www.lifewire.com/time-to-first-fix-ttff-1683313
    And Wifi may help to quickly download the GPS almanac. Although I don't know what servers our phones connect and if these servers are still available.

I use GPS on the Veer very rarely (months between), and it takes more then 30 minutes to find a fix each time. Outside. With or without Wifi.
    Last edited by Kai00; 04/08/2019 at 04:08 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast