Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes
    Both result in the Home button starting to blink left/right....

Did you see left /right light on home button? That's fine. Connect HP orginal charger and chargering. Do nothing...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    Both result in the Home button starting to blink left/right....

Did you see left /right light on home button? That's fine. Connect HP orginal charger and chargering. Do nothing...
    Did that. Did that for a few days. Nothing.

It's also a different left/right blinking than what I've seen on another touchpad of mine before. I once had the same problem with another touchpad. That it was blinking the home button left/right. But the blinking was regularly. So first left lit up for half a second, then right for half a second and so on.

This is different. First left lights up for half a second then right for a full second, the left for half a second, right for a full second, and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy1970 View Post
    Did that. Did that for a few days. Nothing.

It's also a different left/right blinking than what I've seen on another touchpad of mine before. I once had the same problem with another touchpad. That it was blinking the home button left/right. But the blinking was regularly. So first left lit up for half a second, then right for half a second and so on.

This is different. First left lights up for half a second then right for a full second, the left for half a second, right for a full second, and so on.
    Double check inside connection of TP. USB power board to Mainboard. Battery to Mainboard. Screen to Mainboard....

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    Double check inside connection of TP. USB power board to Mainboard. Battery to Mainboard. Screen to Mainboard....

Good luck.
    Checked and reseated those connections quite a few times. No difference whatsoever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy1970 View Post
    Checked and reseated those connections quite a few times. No difference whatsoever...
    I am a tech refurbisher who just happened to stumble on to a few touchpads that were bricked in this same enigmatic way. For the past few weeks, I have been picking it up and trying to solve it. There is NO PLACE on the entire internet that seems to have a clue how to get past the battery with question mark thing. If HP techs can do it, that means the solution exists they just arent telling anyone because HP is a terrible company in general.

So...on to the progress I have made on the issue, you will need both hands free to do this...

Prep: disconnect your computers USB cable from the unit, but do not completely separate the plug from the TP charge-port on the unit...just let it kinda rest in the doorway without really being fully in. (you will have to push it in again quickly later)
    1. use the HOME button+PWR to turn it off as usual...(Get ready for some finger gymnastics)
    2. As soon as it powers down, reconnect the PC USB cord by pushing it all the way in then quickly do step 3...
    3. Press VOLUME UP + PWR.(nothing will happen, this is perfectly normal), wait 20 secs...then hold down the HOME button for around 20 secs and you should hear your computer make the USB connect sound. Your tablet will still be dark and powered down, but now your PC sees a palm device connected to its USB... So far thats all I got, but my PC sees the device, so from here, I guess it is just a matter of time. updates next time I get a chance to fool around with this deranged little tablet...

P.S. you may be able to do the whole Vol up+PWR+home thing by connecting a PC USB while just in the regular powered off state, at least thats kinda how you hack many android devices...probably how it works here too...
    Might be worth making up a USB lead with an on/off switch to reduce the chance of hastily damaging the usb port...
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I used a iPhone charger or a computer USB and charge it for 24 hours. It fixes it when I have tried.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    I have the same problem. And I gave up. I loved my pre3. There is nothing like it out there. Very disappointed in the hp line... There seemed no way to get it back to life. Charged new battery seemed to make no difference. Would love to find the doctor program however won't even give me any info when plugged right into my HP laptop...
    Huge thanks to you, @RightSystems . My touchpad was dead for like 3 years because i had lost the hp's charger and the battery was dead. after that full recharge doesn't work. and i wanted to open it for recharging mannually.

But your tips save my touchpad. i follow all the step. then when my computer recognize the touchpad. I loaded the tpdebrick. and after like 7-10 hours, the touchpad woken up.
    so again, HUGE thanks to you and jcsullins.
    I have the same problem. I bought a TP on eBay and the seller said it was bricked. I have charged it on the 5v 2A charger and also from my PC USB port. I see the Battery with the ? mark displayed in a white outline image on a black screen. I tried every button combination and the ONLY one that works is pressing both the POWER button and the HOME button for 15 seconds. That will do some kind of temporary reset only to have the Battery ? Mark re-appear. It seems that the Touchpad has entered some kind of LOCKOUT MODE, and does not respond to anything. What does the Battery ? Mark image tell us? It could mean that the battery has failed, or the Touchpad circuitry cannot find or see the battery, or the Touchpad circuits have somehow been disconnected from the battery. But why would the HP engineers design the Touchpad to do this? Others have said that replacing the original battery with a new charged battery results in the same Battery with ? Mark display. I cannot believe the HP designers would built the Touchpad in such a way that it becomes LOCKED OUT with NO chance of saving it or connecting it to anything other than a charger. I did connect my Touchpad to my PC, but Device Manager shows nothing being connected. So, this whole situation is completely bizarre. Several posters said the A6 chip needs to be re-flashed, but how can this be done when the Touchpad does not respond to anything externally connected to it? This whole thing is a total mystery. I cannot find an answer for this crisis anywhere.
    From around the forums:

<quote>
    The usual advice is to use a standard phone charger or USB port to trickle charge until the built in charging circuit 'wakes up'. You can then switch to the standard TP charger (which delivers more current than a standard phone charger). However, a flashing alert light on the home button is usually the sign the the device has some charge in it.

If you are using the correct TouchPad charger which is working properly and you know the USB cable is also good, then it may simply take a long time (days) to bring the battery up to full charge - or at least enough to boot. There is of course the possibility that the battery is in bad shape.
    </quote>

<quote>If you think it has charged then hold down [Power} and [Home} buttons for 30 seconds. This will activate the hardware reset circuit and reboot the device. If the Touchpad had enough power this should get it going. If the battery is too low you will have to follow the advice of the other members and let it charge by the usb port for days. It will start when it's ready unless something is broken, such as battery, charging circuit, or some hardware component of the device architecture that would prevent startup. </quote>

Sent from my OnePlus One
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    So exactly what is this so called A6 chip and where is it?
    I opened up a Touchpad and even removed all the metal covers on the chips on all the boards, but there is nothing labeled A6 anywhere. All the chips have an indentifying U number. For example....U1 or U8, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Marshall7 View Post
    I opened up a Touchpad and even removed all the metal covers on the chips on all the boards, but there is nothing labeled A6 anywhere. All the chips have an indentifying U number. For example....U1 or U8, etc.
    I came across this video: https://www.techrepublic.com/videos/...ware-analysis/ Here are related pictures: https://www.techrepublic.com/picture...e-hp-touchpad/

I've never had to reset the A6 chip. You will note that this chip is not identified in the video. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was located in one of two places:
    1. The L-shaped board for the USB socket.
    2. Within the battery casing itself.

I suspect the latter is the safest place as it will control the charge flow no matter what device the battery is used in. You will have seen Sumy's posts on reflashing the firmware of this chip. Perhaps you don't need to know where it is to do this, but you do need a TP that's at least a bit alive... Again, I have no experience to give advice, but I would (again) leave it plugged into a low power USB supply (or try the touchstone if you have one) and forget about it for a week or until I saw the light flashing, then swap to the standard charger. If that doesn't work or you have already given trickle charging a serious try, I'd then try the instructions from RightSystems in post 25 (You could maybe get someone to offer extra hands!). Maybe it would be enough to get it going or to flash the A6 firmware.

As you posted earlier, you bought a TP that was labelled 'dead', so cannot be surprised if the description turns out to be correct, but usually, these devices can be recovered.

Sidenote: I have a Nexus4 that I got for testing LuneOS. Unfortunately, the alpha software lacks low-battery/auto-shutdown at the moment. Maybe the battery was already used up or maybe LuneOS killed it, but I got the 'red LED' problem. Part of the problem was that applying power caused the unit to boot and this process then killed the battery as it wouldn't gain a high enough charge to support the boot. I can't remember exactly what I did, but it was a very tedious process of plugging in and waiting until it tried to boot, then maybe getting into the boot loader and shutting down, re-applying power multiple times until there was enough juice to boot and for the charging process to continue... Actually, maybe I waitied for the red light to go out then pulled the cord before it booted, cord back in, repeat ad infinitum... I finally got it to boot OK, but the battery was still pretty much shot.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/07/2018 at 03:47 PM.
    Hi,

I was in a similar situation when I bought a cheap HP Touchpad that didn't start any more (like the seller said). I got it last November, 18 th and could finally bring it back to life at the end of January. All the weeks in between I was charging the Touchpad on various ways. Using the original USB cable, using the Touchstone, using a Samsung Galaxy charging set. The last weeks I was always charging the whole week without interruption. On Sundays I tried to boot my Touchpad. But every time without success. In the beginning I had no sign of life. Later I got the blinking LED in the home button. Finally there was the battery with the question mark.
    Sometimes I had the same experience as you: When I tried to boot my device when showing the question mark there was suddenly something happening because the screen showed some kind of short flashing. The battery icon disappeared and the screen went off. Then I had a blinking LED in the home button. After charging some time the battery icon with question mark came back.
    The last two weeks I had the battery with question mark all time. What was interesting for me: When trying to charge the device there were some times when the screen got warm at different positions, Sometimes the right upper corner, sometimes the left lower corner, sometimes the left upper or the right lower corner, sometimes the whole screen, sometimes it was completely cold... I only noticed it the first two or three days of the week after trying to boot. At the end of January the batty icon with question mark didn't disappear even when unplugging the device for several minutes.

This was the time I was about to give up and try something that might destroy my Touchpad. I found a tool "TPDebrick" and a manual how to use it. I only used the zip-file of this manual because I already have a Lubuntu notebook with openjdk and android-tools installed. The webosDoctor seemed to be the same that I already downloaded some years ago. And I had luck - my Touchpad booted!

I don't know much about how the seller used the device. I heard that this kind of problem appears if you are using Android on your Touchpad. This wasn't visible any more. But there were data (emails) on the webOS partition that were two years old. So I guess the Touchpad was "out of order" about two years.

You have to enter the size of the Touchpad when running the TPDebrick tool. I had no idea how to find out since the seller didn't know exactly. So I guessed 32GB and was lucky that it seemed to be the right value. I don't know what had happened if it was the false size. But you really have to be aware that this way might destroy your Touchpad. I only used it, because I there was no hope with mine.

There is only one thing left that I couldn't fix:
    Battery lifetime seems good to me. I can use it several days like my second Touchpad. Device info -> Diagnostics -> Interactive -> Power -> Battery Health -> Start tells me that the battery is in good condition (all segments are green). But the percentage in the upper right corner is wrong. It stays at 100 % a very long time. When finally decreasing to ~62 % I get a 10 % warning and suddenly only 1% is displayed. When loading the Touchpad the leved stays under 30 - 50 % a very long time. Then suddenly it jumps up to 100 %.
    But I can live with this error because battery lifetime is really good compared with my other device.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Thanks to Preemtive and Nafetz for their helpful response. I am going to have to look into this further. If the so called A6 chip is actually in the battery itself, then we should not need to flash this A6 chip in a brand new fully charged battery. Apparently, the Touchpad charging circuit communicates with the battery using the 3 data lines in the battery plug. The actual charging current supplied to the battery, would depend on the condition of the battery at that time. However, if the battery is low (below 3.3 volts) and cannot accept a charge, then this might produce the Battery with ? Mark on the screen. And yet, I did read where at least one person replaced the original battery with a new one, only to see the Battery with ? Mark reappear on the screen. Perhaps his new battery was not previously charged up to the 3.7 volts as specified. Who Knows? Replacing the battery should not be a complicated procedure. Eventually, all the Touchpad batteries will need to be replaced. A very optimistic battery life would be 10 years.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12